The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 12, 2013, 08:00 PM   #1
firemediceric

Help choosing a light and mount for 590A1

I'm hoping you more experienced and educated members can save me a lot of trial & error, cost and headache with regard to choosing a mount and light for my Mossberg 590A1.

Although I would like an intergrated forend light, I just can't bring myself to pay almost $300 for a light that may never be used on this HD weapon.

I've done some looking on Optics Planet and Amazon. Just when I'm leaning in one direction or another I read some reviews that have me hesitating to make a purchase.

If someone with first hand experience can point me in the right direction of a reasonably priced solid, reliable mount and a super bright light that I can activate with a pressure switch, I will be most appreciative.
Old June 14, 2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Rob62

This is my personal experience. I know that some folks have had good luck with generic clamp on the barrel lights - I have not. Save your money do not get a "cheap" light, get a Surefire Forend light. After all you spend anywhere from $400-$500 or more for your shotgun, why would you put a $39.99 light on it?!

LA Police gear lists them for $266. It will be worth it to you in the long run.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sf-623lm...FUdk7Aod8HIA_Q

If you absolutely have to go less expensive get a "rail" forend replacement and mount something like a Streamlight M3 on it. You can find used good condition M3's for well under $100. I consider anything less than this a total waste of money.

Edited to add: You said that you hope to never have to use this HD set up. I hope you never have to as well. But if you do, don't you want to be absolutely certain that your light does not fail you? I'm not saying that Surefire products can't break, they do, what I am saying is that if your life is on the line, or potentially on the line, quality equipment is a must.

Regards,

Rob
Old June 14, 2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Yung.gunr

Shoot... Why not get one of these and then get whatever light you want. It has 5 stars & only one negative review.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041F...pi=SL500_SS115

I have a holder just like this and it works great...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002ZY...pi=SL500_SS115

As far as lights, I love my Streamlights. I don't know if they make a pressure one.