The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 30, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1
deepcore

SmartReloader iSD auto powder dispenser

Has anyone checked out the SmartReloader (looks like the brand) iSD auto powder scale and dispenser?
Never heard of the brand/maker before.
Old October 30, 2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Sevens

The early word on SmartReloader products is that it's chinese stuff and some of them seem to be out & out stolen designs with no attempt to come up with their own idea. Berry's in particular has a brass sorter and they claim that the similar SmartReloader product is a carbon copy of their item with zero attempt to even try to hide it.

At this point, I'm completely willing to skip by anything with their name on it and continue to buy reloading products from the established American companies and especially the American companies that produce their products here at home. (many of the big name American reloading company products are made overseas)

I have no personal experience in using anything from this company.
Old October 30, 2010, 12:57 PM   #3
BDS-THR

SmartReloader is a Chinese manufacturer that's been copying and making knock off products of US reloading products.

Unlike other US brand products, not all of their products have been proven reliable. I would try to obtain confirming positive reviews from other users before buying their products.
Old December 26, 2010, 03:41 PM   #4
NorCal Hal

I bought the Smartreloader isd a few months ago when Midsouth had what I thought was a sale price $ 199, and as is usually the case I now see them for as low as $ 149.

I like it. It sure makes loading faster than measuring charges on a balance beam or digital scale and is more accurate and consistent than a tilt volume powder dispenser. I particularly like the feature that when you set the empty pan back on the scale it starts dispensing another charge without your having to do anything.

I was having a problem with it over dispensing by 0.1 grains fairly frequently with IMR-4350 until someone sent me the below video tutorial link that explained how to adjust the trickle rate and interval time - I could have read my manual. It comes with a thorough easy to read and understand operators manual with 5 pages of English- but I couldn't find mine at the time. The video has even more info than the manual.

It seems to be well made and very programmable for specific settings and uses. It is made in China (but what isn't these days?) but designed and owned by an Italian company. Headquarters is Pinerolo, Italy so I don't believe it is a stolen Chinese copy as some have indicated.

http://www.smartreloader-usa.com/isdtutorials.html
Old April 7, 2011, 08:17 PM   #5
tcmech

Don't waste your time, effort, or money on this POS. I bought one from Natchez Shooter Supply and it only said error when I tried to calibrate it.

Called the manufacturer and they sent me a new one.

Same thing, never worked, straight garbage from this manufacturer. The load cell on this one isn't even centered in the hole.