The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 18, 2014, 03:38 AM   #1
Markhm

Remington 597

Hi all

I live in New Zealand and just joined today. I have a 597 issue that I hope someone might be able to help with. My rifle is 22WMR, great rifle...lousy magazine. I have bought new mags each time I travel to USA but all are junk. Does anyone have any aftermarket solutions? Anything I can do to modify my existing mags? I have had no reply from Remington. I would appreciate any help folks. Best wishes from Down Under.
Old May 18, 2014, 04:54 AM   #2
trg42wraglefragle

Hey mate. I had a problem with my 597 22lr being a jam-omatic.
I brought a Volquartsen extractor for it for about $30 from trademe a few years back, it took about 30mins to change. Now it will eat anything.

This is what you will be after
http://www.reloaders.co.nz/Volquarts...&category_id=0

Should fix your problems.
Old May 18, 2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Gbnk82

Only buy the factory 10 rounders they are the only ones that work.also the two metal guide rods the bolt rides one need to stay relatively loose do not tighten them much because it will cause the bolt to bind..I had a 597 also and when it works it is arguable the best semi auto 22 out there but the big problem of course is "when it works" I got sick of constant issues and traded it in for a 10/22 and could not be happier
Old June 3, 2014, 11:04 PM   #4
Markhm

Thanks guys, Im going to sell it and get a ruger 22wmr. I hope Gun City do trade ins!
Old June 3, 2014, 11:54 PM   #5
Mike1234

Folks, the OP has a WMR, not a LR.

Sorry, OP, but last I checked no aftermarket magazines exist for the 597 WMR and all the factory mags are nearly worthless. With a little cleaning and tweaking I can get all of mine to reliably hold and feed five rounds... but no more.

It's very disappointing and frustrating that Remington did such a poor job of designing and manufacturing these mags. They should be embarrassed and ashamed. It's a pity too because the rifle is very nice and quite accurate.
Old June 4, 2014, 02:20 AM   #6
Markhm

Yes, 22WMR. I have really had enough of the mags. I love this rifle and use it to shoot wallabies (small kangaroos) but mags jamming cause me to use 223 bolt action (and my accuracy has improved by only having one shot!). I have investigated using silicone to lube the follower but havent had a chance to try it. I wish we could still buy AR15s with 30 round mags off the shelf.
Old June 4, 2014, 07:54 AM   #7
Mike1234

I have only a few hundred rounds through mine but, FWIW, I was able to tweak all my mags to reliably feed five rounds each. Some people claim they can get six rounds to feed but I think that's really pushing it. If anyone claims they can load and feed all eight... just chuckle to yourself knowing with no doubt it just isn't true. It's too bad neither Remington nor a third party stepped in to offer better higher capacity mags. Remington should be ashamed.

I quit shooting rimfire anyway. The shortages and excessive pricing have me fed up with all rimfire at this time.
Old July 24, 2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Husqvarna

how is the ejection? would it bother a lh shooter considerably?

is there a difference in the lr and wmr version re replacements stocks?