The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2010, 02:36 PM   #26
dsv424

++1 on what Veyec recommends. I got my Lee Classic Turret kit from Kempf's about 2 years ago and for what you get I think it is the best value. It doesn't come with a scale but since you already have one that makes it even a better deal for you. Its a very sturdy press and once you get the hang of it you can expect to make 180 to 220 rounds an hour.
Old February 3, 2010, 03:56 PM   #27
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day, With the addition of extra collets for each die this press will serve you well. If you want high volume then go for a progresive press.
Old February 3, 2010, 04:14 PM   #28
grubbylabs

I was actually thinking that I would go with the set up from the web sight that Veyec suggested. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I think it will still be a month or two before I buy but I want to know what I want before hand.
Old February 3, 2010, 04:37 PM   #29
TheBigO

i am glad to here all the positive comments because I just bought one and have it coming in the mail. After you buy the kit what should be the first thing that you go out and buy, besides brass, lead, primers, and powder of course.
Old February 3, 2010, 05:09 PM   #30
RidgwayCO

My suggestion... get the Lee Classic Turret kit from Kempf's with the optional Pro Auto-Disk powder measure (it has several improvements over the original auto-disk that you'll WANT to have). Get the additional safety prime size (optional) only if you think you'll need it.

With the money you save, buy a used RCBS, Redding, or Hornady scale on eBay. They may cost more than the Lee scale, but you'll be happier. You also need a set of calipers. Kempf's has a set of stainless steel calipers for $24.95 that look serviceable. You also need a reloading manual (at least one), but not the Lee manual.

Enjoy!
Old February 3, 2010, 05:16 PM   #31
TheBigO

thanks- I was wondering if it would come with a manual- I will run out and get a scale after I see first hand what I am dealing with.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:52 PM   #32
CrustyFN

Quote:
If you go with the Dillon you won't be looking back wondering if I'd spent the extra money for the better press.
I didn't buy a Dillon and I don't wonder. I actually have loaded on a Dillon 550, too much for my needs. At 200 rounds per hour the Lee classic turret meets my needs fine. It didn't make sence to me to spend $800 for a Dillon to load one caliber when I could get the classic turrt and everything I need to load four calibers for $400 and make just as good ammo. Dillon is a nice press but is not always the best way to go.