The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 28, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1
shureshot0471

1" groups at 200 yards with a 30-30

Ok at my local gun store today I was talking to a guy and he said that at 200 yards with the new Hornady Lever Reveloution rounds he was shooting 1" groups. What do yall think, if this is true then that means that the 30-30 lives on. I would love to belive that this is true.
- Ted Nugent
Old July 28, 2006, 01:26 AM   #2
Scorch

I saw the test G&A did on the LeverEvolution ammo, and it shot about 1.5"-2" at 100 yds, which is respectable for a 30-30, but there is a big difference between that and 1" at 200 yards. Buy him a box of ammo and tell him to meet you at the range because you want to see him do it again. If he can do it, you can tell your grandkids about the time you saw a 1/2 MOA lever action rifle. But get pictures, because they probably won't believe it either.
Old July 28, 2006, 07:01 AM   #3
hoghunting

I'll agree with Scorch as very few 30/30s will group 1" @ 100 yds much less 200 yds. He might be measuring with a gunwriter's yardstick. As Jeff Cooper said, a gunwriter's yardstick is only 18" long as he has read about their shots, but he has seen them shoot.
Old July 28, 2006, 08:14 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

LOL... I can shoot 1" groups at 100 yrds with carefully chosen hand loads in my TC Contender off the bench ( on a good day... the gun & ammo shoot better than I do ), but IMO, the rounded nose of a tube mag safe bullet coupled with the 30-30's safe pressure levels, don't equal a cartridge capable of consistant groups of more than 1 shot within 1" at 200 yards...
Old July 28, 2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Musketeer

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=198

The round in question is not your grandfather's 30-30. These are not round nosed but pointed, using the new rubber/plastic tip. I still don't know about 1" at 200yd but I do intend to try them out.
Old July 28, 2006, 02:37 PM   #6
shureshot0471

Well I hope that it is right that means that the 30-30 will live on. And it is such a awsome brush gun.
- Ted Nugent
Old July 28, 2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Mannlicher

I do believe that a good 30-30 will shoot groups approaching 1 inch at 100 yards. My marlin 336Y, using my handloads, and a 1X$ variable scope shoots this well.
Two hundered yards is a different thing. One inch at 200 is .5 MOA, and frankly, I say it can't be done with a lever gun and anyone's 30-30 ammo.

oh, and magnum wheel man, the ammo the guy was supposedly shooting was Horandy Leverevolution, which is NOT round nose tube mag safe stuff, but pointy bullets with a soft plastic tip.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 28, 2006, 04:40 PM   #8
swampdog

Quote:
But get pictures, because they probably won't believe it either.
Maybe he wasn't using a lever action. If he was, I'd have to call bs on this one. I'm sure hornady is capable of loading 1/2" moa ammo. As far as your average marlin, winchester or browning lever action goes, no way. I used to have a browning BLR in .308. It was a 2" moa rifle on its best day. My marlin .35 will do a little better, but not much. The ammo is only part of the equation.

I've heard more bs in gunshops than in bars. Just last week a guy was telling me about a black bear he'd shot with a .44 magnum, 6 times. The first five bounced off it's skull and the last round flattened out on it's shoulder. He had to reload and finally put it down with a shot through the ribs. I asked him what he was using, suspecting some lightweight hollow points. Winchester 240gr jsp. Uhuh. Somehow, I find bullet proof bears more believable than 1/2" moa lever actions.

Our local gunshop is called Bullshooters. It lives up to its name and the owner wasn't talking about bullseyes.

"Gunwriters yardstick" is great. I'll have to remember that one.
Old July 28, 2006, 04:56 PM   #9
jhgreasemonkey

I believe it was gunsandammo that had an article on this a couple months back. They are supposed to be pretty sweet. And it makes sense.
Old July 28, 2006, 08:01 PM   #10
hossdaniels

outdoor life had a gun test issue a few months back and a marlin 30/30 beat nearly all of the bolt actions tested. sounds fishy, but maybe it's possible. they were using the hornady ammo.
Old July 28, 2006, 08:10 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

And what color were his eyes? Cuz he's full of it.
Old July 28, 2006, 08:35 PM   #12
mikejonestkd

With a stock marlin or winchester.....no way Jose..

with a custom barrelled rifle like a Brown model 97 or a tc contender custom barrel from a good shop..........maybe but probably not on a regular basis.

Sounds like the guy at the gunshop is confusing 200 FEET with 200 YARDS
Old July 28, 2006, 09:19 PM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Some lever actions are surprisingly accurate with good ammo. I don't think that one can take it as a given that it's impossible for a levergun to shoot 1/2 MOA. It's not at all common, certainly, but that's not the same as impossible.

In this sort of situation, I'd be very likely to dismiss the person's claims without a second thought--but that's more because I don't know anything about his shooting ability and because I've heard some pretty crazy things in gun shops.
Old July 28, 2006, 11:59 PM   #14
GON2FAR

Just to throw my .02 out there....

Its doubtful, highly doubtful, but not impossible. Ive seen some crazy fluke groups in my day, when all the stars come into alignment and the gun gods smile and grace you with a group you have no reasonable right to attain. FI once saw an 870 Wingmaster slug gun, fully rifled bbl, with a since-forgotten brand of sabots print an honest 3/4" group at 100 yds....whereas normally this was a 2.5-3" gun at that distance. Just never can tell. But being a gun shop manager, I can assure you, you'll find no place on earth the tales grow taller than at the local gun shop counter.
Old July 29, 2006, 12:21 AM   #15
ElkSlayer6x5

why

Is he shooting a brush gun @ 200 yds? thats my question
I too must call B.S
Quote:
The round in question is not your grandfather's 30-30. These are not round nosed but pointed, using the new rubber/plastic tip. I still don't know about 1" at 200yd but I do intend to try them out.
Me too, they must be magic. maybe my ole winchester can pull it off
Old July 29, 2006, 09:27 AM   #16
Terrill

From my own testing....
About 1 1/8" at 100 yds andf 100fps faster than any other load I've tried. I have not shot it past that distance but will as soon as I get my rifle back from Wild West Guns.
Old July 29, 2006, 10:56 AM   #17
BrianBM

Why is it that levers are inherently less accurate? Once a round's in the chamber, isn't accuracy more a matter of the load and the barrel then of the clockwork that got the round into chamber in the first place?

Could it be that levers are generally built, and barrelled, to cruder tolerances in the first place?
Old July 29, 2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Anthony Terry

alot of these guys on TV and in mags. use these products and make them look awesome to sell them. they get paid to do that. there could be a little difference in trajectory, but not alot more in a 30-30. like using these bullets and beating out a bunch of bolt guns, thats just unbelievable. that type of bullets were they using the the bolt rifles? i bet not premiums. they got paid good to advertise like that id say.
Old July 29, 2006, 02:39 PM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Why is it that levers are inherently less accurate? Once a round's in the chamber, isn't accuracy more a matter of the load and the barrel then of the clockwork that got the round into chamber in the first place?
It's not a function of the action of the rifle, so much as it is a product of the stock design of most common lever action rifles.

You're right, there's nothing inherent in the "clockwork" of a lever action rifle that contributes to typically mediocre accuracy. However, two piece barrel banded stocks and tubular magazines hung from the barrel are not generally considered a recipe for a sub-moa rifle.
Old July 29, 2006, 04:07 PM   #20
MeekAndMild

Quote:
However, two piece barrel banded stocks and tubular magazines hung from the barrel are not generally considered a recipe for a sub-moa rifle.
I was thinking the same thing John. When I sight in for hunting I'll usually take a couple of other rifles so I can have something to do during the 10-15 minutes it takes for a levergun to cool enough to where its point of aim returns. I think its the barrel band though I've heard folks who believe the magazine changes things more.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old July 30, 2006, 02:43 PM   #21
BrianBM

Thank you, I'd wondered why we never hear of sub-MOA lever guns.

Are lever guns that use a magazine that mounts into the reciever more accurate? Surely you don't HAVE to use a tubular magazine in order to have a lever gun.
Old July 30, 2006, 02:46 PM   #22
Harley Quinn

4" is more like it.

Some one is pulling the leg of the original poster. 200yds is along way off.

HQ
Old July 30, 2006, 08:48 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Thank you, I'd wondered why we never hear of sub-MOA lever guns.
Well, I've heard of a few, so that's not entirely accurate. They're just not terribly common.
Quote:
Surely you don't HAVE to use a tubular magazine in order to have a lever gun.
No, and you don't have to have a two-piece stock either. With the possible exception of pump-actions and recoiling barrel designs, there aren't many accuracy issues that relate directly to the style of clockwork used in the rifle. Most have a lot more to do with stock design and "interference" with the barrel.
Old July 30, 2006, 10:57 PM   #24
shureshot0471

Looks as we have stired a topic good statements guys have really learned alot. Now lets throw this in the tequne was to preform this as a proper bench test. This is how they got the 1" groups. Now what do yall think still believe me.
- Ted Nugent
Old July 31, 2006, 09:48 PM   #25
Desertfox

I just tested my Marlin 30-30 with the new LeverEvolution rounds at 160 gr. from hornady against good ole 150gr. silvertips.

I used a led sled just to put it on an even playing field.

My daughter did the shooting with a Nikon Pro Staff scope and Weaver mounts.

At 50 yards she groups the silvertips at 3/4". At 100 yards 2".(3 shot groups)

The Hornady's grouped tighter at 50 but were 3 inches right.
At 100 they were 5 inches right and 5 inches high in a 1 1/2 " group.

We have no reason to shoot 200 yards so we didn't. I will next time out.

Heaver rounds in the hornady yet they hit higher. The right must be due to the barrel twist and bands etc.I could sight the scope in with the Hornadys but she is hoping to shoot her first deer this fall with it and I wanna use silvertips.