The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Fajita Dave

How much powder?

I'm new to reloading and I found some information on this already but I just want to be sure I'm getting this done right. I'm going to load some .357 magnum 140 grain jhp rounds with bullseye powder. I've found plenty of other threads on loading .357 rounds with bullseye powder but none of them seem to be very specific. So far I've gathered anywhere between 3.5 and 7 grains! I just want a starting point thats a little more specific then that and I would like to know what the maximum amount of powder I should be using is.

I've been loading .38 wad cutters with 3.5 grains of some old powder that I found with my fathers reloading equipment which has been working great for the plinking around that I do. I just want some .357 magnum rounds for a little more fun once and a while. Watching rotten fruit explode is much more fun then just knocking it over with .38s .
Old February 2, 2010, 03:59 PM   #2
PCJim

Depending upon the age of the Bullseye powder you have access to, you could go to Alliant Powder's website and download some load information from it. Be sure you know whether the data you are using is for the age of the BE you have, and also whether it is for jacketed or lead cast bullets.

Of course, you already know this because you have done your homework and have read and re-read the reloading "how to's" chapters of your reloading manuals, right?
Old February 2, 2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Uncle Buck

Start with the low end of the scale and work your way up. I could put a lot more charge into my cartridges than I do, but I am cheap and I want more bangs for my buck than just a few really big bangs.

Experiment. I have not gotten around to my .357's yet, because I have a butt-load of .38 specials to load. I can use anywhere between 3.1 grains and 3.6 grains of 700-X in my loads, but for me, the 3.3 grains is what I like. I am going to get a few more rounds built because I did not go with the absolute max.

I can still annihilate rotten fruit, but I might not be able to throw the seeds as far as someone shooting with the maximum powder charge.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:20 PM   #4
Don H

Fajita Dave,

You do have at least one loading manual, don't you? Your post suggests that you are attempting to devise a load solely based on information in internet threads. I'll suggest that this is most likely not the best or safest approach to reloading.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Sidewinder72

I aree 100%. Go by manufacturers load data. They have already done the work for you. Then find the load for your pistol. Working up slooooowly.
Old February 2, 2010, 11:08 PM   #6
medalguy

And don't believe everything you read on the internet!!
Old February 3, 2010, 12:45 AM   #7
reloader28

You were using 3.5gr of some old powder you found???
I use 3.5gr for wadcutters too, but not without knowing what the powder is.
You better be sure what your powder is.
I like to have 5 or 6 books for reference instead of the internet myself.
Old February 3, 2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Fajita Dave

I guess I forgot to add some details. Reloader, the powder charge that I was using for the .38 wadcutters was written down on the .38 dies that I have with the old powder that I'd like to use (no point in wasting it). I would tell you what the powder is but the label has been ripped off. I made 50 rounds with it so far and they work fine.

Unfortunatly I do not have any loading manuals because I just found this equipment a few days ago and there were no loading manuals with it. Only a book on how to use the press and dies which was very easy to use. I didn't realize when I just started reloading three days ago that your powder charges varied depending on the grain of the bullet and the exact powder your using. At least I was smart enough to realize you can't just fill up the shell and shove a bullet in the end, that would have been a bad experience.

I guess the only thing I need to know is what a good starting charge for a .357 magnum with new bullseye powder and a 140 grain jacketed bullet would be. Alliant's guide doesn't have any load data for a .357 magnum with bullseye powder either. The lowest they have listed is 8 grains with unique powder and from other things I have read thats to much with bullseye. I just want a starting charge that I know wont stick the bullet in the barrel or blow my hand off when I fire the first one. I suppose I just need to load a few with 4.5 grains and go from there. So what are a few good loading manuals to buy? I'm deffinitly going to need them.

Medalguy I don't believe most of what I read on the internet. From reading around I know there are a lot of people on this forum that know what there doing so I figured I would just ask and see what kind of answers I got. I'm used to working with motorcycles where everything has pretty specific setups from suspension to tire pressure and it just didn't seem right to me when I found information that states anywhere between 3.5 and 7 grains of powder is what I should be loading my rounds with.

Sorry if I came off as a complete idiot with my first post. I just have quite a few things to learn about this.
Old February 3, 2010, 03:21 PM   #9
zxcvbob

Alliant used to have .357 Magnum data with Bullseye until they "streamlined" their manual (ruined it.) Bullseye works surprisingly well in magnum cartridges. I don't think they had anything for 140 grain bullets though, but you can safely use the data for the next heavier bullet: 158 grain jacketed which is 6.8 grains max.

I'm not sure if I should tell you this or not, but you can use .38 Super data in .357 Magnum cases to get a nice mid-range load. That opens things up for a few different bullet weights. (like 5.0 grains of Bullseye with 147 grain jacketed bullets) As you can see, this is a lot lighter than the 6.8 grain load above, but it's still a lot stronger than a .38 Special +P.

Pistol gunpowder is cheap, even at $20+ per pound. Get rid of that old stuff if you don't know what it is.
Old February 3, 2010, 10:48 PM   #10
reloader28

What I came up with is...

Nothing from my Alliant booklet for 140. It is a couple years old.

5.7 - 8.0 gr.......Lyman
6.3 - 7.0 gr.......Speer
7.5 - 7.8 gr.......Sierra
nothing in Hornady
Old February 3, 2010, 11:45 PM   #11
SVO

Sierra Data Says....

Using the Sierra 140 gr JHC bullet, they suggest a starting load of 7.5 gr of Bullseye. Max load is 7.8 grs of Bullseye. Thats using a CCI 550 primer with a Speer case. Cartridge OAL is listed as 1.585".

0.3 gr between starting load and max doesn't give you a lot of wiggle room.