The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 17, 2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Desertfox

Colorado Muzzleloader Muley Regs

I purchased a leftover out of state llisence for mule deer in Colorado. Muzzleloader, and boy am I happy.
I am wondering why I spent so much time sighting in my muzzle loader at 150 yards with my nikon prostaff scope. I WAS using 150 grains of pyrodex pellets(3) and 245 grain powerbelt bullets.

Unfortunately, Hi-Tec is not the name of the game in Colorado.

Regulations:
No Scopes. Iron sights only.
No pelletized propellant.
No Sabots.

This will be my first muzzleloader mule deer hunt. Are these new regulations?

I know this will stir up alot of traditionalists who prefer older methods and I appreciate your views. I prefer to harvest animals in the most ethical means available. I believe if a scope helps, I should use it. I also follow hunting regulations and am not a law breaker. I just have to make many trips to the firing range and get comfortable with the iron sights.

Just thought I would pass this information along. Anyone who knows if these are new regulations or if you know if Powerbelt Bullets are concidered in the sabot family, I would appreciate the reply.
Old August 17, 2006, 10:28 PM   #2
duck911

Nope, these are not new regulations.

Practice without the scope, remember to load the gun from the muzzle, and yes, you can use powerbelts.

As for the use of a scope. You say, I prefer to harvest animals in the most ethical means available. I believe if a scope helps, I should use it.

The idea is to stay legal AND ethical by not taking 150 yard open sight shots. You may be able to make this shot all day with a scope but the idea is to be SELF LIMITING in your shot selection and be a sportsman about it.

ML seasons in Colorado aren't intended to be pseudo-rifle seasons where you can take 250 yard rifle-like shots to fill your freezer. They're intended to offer a more primative approach to hunting when compared to rifle.

HUNT! Sneak up on the deer! With a little practice you can take a deer with a 50 or 75 yard ML shot and it will be an ethical, quick death. You may even find that while working up a load in 5 grain increments you find that your rifle is even more accurate than you were getting with pellets
Old August 18, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Desertfox

Thanks for the info Duck911. I will check in 5 grain incriments on the powder.
I have hunted Co. for elk before but only archery. I understand the sneak up to within 40 or 50 yards. This is the first mule deer muzzleloader trip for me.
I guess I was thinking it would be easier this trip with the muzzleloader but I left out the importance of the challenge part of the hunt.
As with anything, practice, practice, patience, and practice.
Spot and stalk on muleys is going to be an adventure to me anyway. Reguardless of the results of the hunt, I will have enjoyed it. I bet I get a close encounter or two.
I will post pics upon returning. Thanks for the help.
Old August 18, 2006, 07:03 PM   #4
duck911

Deserfox,

Where is your tag?

Like you, I have a ML tag this year. Doe, on the Platte river

Like you, I am having to adjust to open sites, as most of my other hunting rifles have scopes
Old August 18, 2006, 07:59 PM   #5
rlong5

Around Gunnison where I've been hunting elk for the past few years, you have to shoo the does away. Seriously, if you sit still, they'll walk up to within 30 feet trying to figure out what you are. You'd want either open sights or a slightly longer barrel to hit them over the head with.
Old August 19, 2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Desertfox

My tag is for antlered deer in sections 7,8,9,19,and 191.
I am hunting west and north of Fort Collins.
Medicine Bow Mountain Range is the area.
Old August 19, 2006, 04:30 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Lucky suckers! Are you SURE you can't use powder pellets there? I know the iron sights is the rule, but I believe it's OK if they're fiber optic, if that is what's on your rifle.

Hey desertfox, I'll do you a favor if you bag a big mulie up there - OKC is on your way home. Drop off some backstrap and other meat when you pass through, to me, and that'll help your gas mileage the rest of the trip home.
Old August 19, 2006, 05:35 PM   #8
rlong5

From the DOW regulations here, in pdf

Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall
be forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and
moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty
(.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight.
All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use
bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.
a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose
only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by muzzle-loading
license holders.
b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and moose the
following additional restrictions apply:
1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and smokeless powder
are prohibited.

2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation cloth patches
are not sabots.
3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be loaded from
the breech are prohibited.
4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting device other
than open or ?iron? sights is prohibited.
Old August 19, 2006, 11:40 PM   #9
duck911

Deserfox,

I'm sure you've done your fair share of scouting but here is some unsolicited advise, worth probably about as much as you're paying for it Those GMU's are where I do a fair amount of playing around.

If you have the lungs and legs for it, I'd stick to the Rawah wilderness and hike in. It'll give you your best chance for a nice buck and the hike in gets you away from the crazy folks. ML season in GMU 7 (which for my money, is where I'd concentrate my effort) is early to focus your energy up high.

Another place to look is CR 80C east of four corners (Bull Mountain area.) This area is busy but if you're innovative and willing to work for it you can find some deer.

No luck today archery antelope hunting. Had one brief stalk on a small buck but DAMN those little buggers have good eyesight! haha!!
Old August 21, 2006, 03:17 PM   #10
Desertfox

Thanks for the info on what and where. I will use every word of it. FF- I am picking up a partner in OKC on the way and on the return trip, dropping him off.
I will do my best to bag a muley. If this happens, you can count on a care package on the way home.
[email protected]
phone number or e-mail so I can get your where and when info.
Old August 24, 2006, 11:43 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Thanks bud; email sent.