The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Marco Califo

Tula primers are shipped anvil up???

Tula primers are shipped anvil up???
I bought 5000 Tula KVB-556M and opened the first tray. Nicely packaged and they all were oriented the same way. Just one problem.
The anvil side is up! My RCBS hand primer needs them anvil side up, but when I flip the tray into the primer they go the other way around: primer side down.
Yes, I know I need to get a primer flipping tray to fix this . . .
But, WHY do they package them that way?
Once properly oriented they are sliding right into my LC's. Nice solid hard cups, barely a mark from the ram.
Old September 8, 2014, 11:06 PM   #2
serf 'rett

Does your RCBS hand primer have the concentric circles in the tray?

I dump the Tula's in and shake the tray until most of them flip over. I'll flip the last two or three over by hand.

I did try to save time by placing an empty tray over the new full tray and flipping, but it didn't work very well the several times I tried.
Old September 8, 2014, 11:16 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Yes, the tray has the rings, but with the lid on they wont flip. I just turned 100 by finger because I did not want to shake the open tray (on my couch). I think I will order the RCBS square tray (#2). Do you shake that one?
Old September 8, 2014, 11:28 PM   #4
serf 'rett

Nope, they won't flip with the lid on. Got to shake them without the lid. I place the tray on a flat surface, such as a table or bench. and hold my thumb over the end of the "spout" while I shake the tray. Will generally shake the tray in one direction, then spin the tray 90 degrees and shake more. The primers which didn't flip in the first round of shaking will often flip when shaken in a different direction. It's quicker than you think, once you get the hang of it.

I would not attempt doing this in my lap while sitting on the sofa
Old September 9, 2014, 06:13 AM   #5
skizzums

most primers ship anvil up, that's just how they settle. you have to put them in the tray, put the lid on top, but leaving enough room so can flip, and gently roll them back and forth. I buy tula and CCI and Winchester and usually most if not all are anvil up. tulas case leaves enough rom so all of them flip up, but I never thought of it as an issue
Old September 9, 2014, 06:36 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
But, WHY do they package them that way?
I do not know, is it possible they thought I was going to be the purchaser, I have an additional flip tray, the only way they can mess me up is if they alternate the primers, one up, the next one down.

Same for the large Federal box. I have a large Dillon flip tray, before that I cut the Federal slide cover to expose 25 primers at a time when loading the Lee auto hand primer.

F. Guffey
Old September 9, 2014, 06:45 AM   #7
Don P

Why does Federal ship there primers sideways in the tray????
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 9, 2014, 07:08 AM   #8
F. Guffey

I do not carry ammo to the range in zip-lock gags, I do not want to give a primer a chance to push off. If a primer pushes off in a tray when setting on its side it hits the other side of the tray, if the primer is packed in a box with the anvil up the anvil will push off and the primer cup will be pushed into the tray.

Why the big Federal box? I believe Federal used the big box to give R. Lee something to complain about, unintended consequence, users that could not manage to get the primers from the large box to the small Lee flip tray were the ones complaining.

F. Guffey
Old September 9, 2014, 07:46 AM   #9
higgite

Use your primer tray lid instead of the primer tray itself to unload the primers from their original package. Then place the primer tray upside down on the lid and flip it right side up.
Old September 9, 2014, 08:17 AM   #10
Grizz12

I put the tray on top of the box, flip the box/tray together and then remove the box. Then I put the lid on the tray, flip over and remove the other side of the tray.
Old September 9, 2014, 08:46 AM   #11
mdmtj

I'm on a Dillon 550. Primers packed anvil down is exactly what I need to use the primer pick-up tubes with the least fuss.

They can't please everyone. But with that said, how hard is it to flip them? Anvil down vs. anvil up - really doesn't matter to me. It really is a small matter, isn't it? If they are wrong side up, just flip them.
Old September 9, 2014, 08:52 AM   #12
chiefr

Up, down, sideways, as long as I can find them and they go bang, does not matter to me.
Old September 9, 2014, 11:05 AM   #13
schmellba99

Quote:
Use your primer tray lid instead of the primer tray itself to unload the primers from their original package. Then place the primer tray upside down on the lid and flip it right side up.
This. Work smarter, not harder.
Old September 9, 2014, 09:53 PM   #14
dickttx

I suppose the primer manufacturers should start taking custom orders--up, down or sideways.
Old September 10, 2014, 12:52 AM   #15
FrankenMauser

So much talk about a non-issue.

Primer flip trays were invented for a reason.
...The same reason they're a recommended tool for any reloader.

Primers jumbled or wrong-side-up? Dump them in the flip tray and give them a shake.....

It's difficult. Really difficult.