The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 18, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1
tarheellefty

RCBS chargemaster Questions - just got one

I used mine for the 1st time yesterday; I loaded 500 rounds of 223 for my son to shoot at CMP / Sir walter Gun club weeklong clinic next week ( see CMP website ! ) . I really enjoyed using it , setup was quick and easy , directions clear AND CORRECT . I loaded 1/2 , took a break . then came back and loaded the 2nd 250 ( box of nosler 77s ) in 2 hrs flat . I did 2 / minute steady and consistant. very happy w/ unit . now the Q's :
1) is there any advantage or reason to use the the stored load data capability ? I plugged it in ( 24.0 grns Reloder 15 ) ,and used it that way the 1st box . the second box I used the auto setting ...
2) any advantage / disadvantage to the auto setting ? I really liked it myself - I cannot thuink of any reason to push a button every time if I don't have to . But I'm listening ( ok - reading ) if someone has a reason .
3 ) as mentioned , load was 24.0 reloder 15 ; it took about 20- 23 seconds to dispense /stabilize .... which is OK . will 46 grns take 2X as long (NOT Ok) ? I did search on these ; I read where couple of y'all threw a charge to w/ in couple grns then used trickler ... helpful? PITA ? always - only w/ say fat powder (like 4064 ) ? expound please ....

Thanks for any input - I'm just trying to get through the learning curve as easy and fast as possible ....
the last time I wasthis happy initially w/ loading equipment was when I got the dillon 550B in 1998 ....hope this lasts as well...
Old June 22, 2007, 01:08 PM   #2
Paul B.

I've only had mine a little more than a week now. I love it. I don't see where it would take twice as long to throw a 46.0 gr. charge though. I got because I've been doing the load work up for my ex-son-in-law's .300 WSM and I hate the 4831s. I haven't timed just how long it takes to throw a charge of 65.9 gr. of IMR-4831, but I'd guess it was about 25 to 30 seconds.
As we'd reached the final load his gun liked, I loaded up all the brass that was left, 121 rounds in about 35 minutes using the auto feature. So far, I haven't seen the need to store any loads, but may do it sometime down the road. I pretty much have all my loads set in stone these days, but maybe I'll store them later on after I finish learning all that the tool can be.
I used it the other day to load up some .257 Robt. with WMR, a ball powder and it was, I think slightly quicker by a few seconds at most. I'd heard that sometimes they didn't work as well with the ball powders, but I had no problem with mine.
I do believe that the Chargemaster is a keeper for sure.
Paul B.
Old June 22, 2007, 08:04 PM   #3
klw

Charge Master

I had two. The first one would throw erratic loads. Most were fine but some were WAY off. RCBS replaced it.

On the second one the keys stopped working correctly. Some of the numbers would not bring up the desired value. Punch a 2 and you'd get a three, for example. RCBS offered to replace this one eventually but it took them a long time to make that offer and by then I had literally thrown it in the trash.

I really like RCBS equipment but not this thing. I had nothing but trouble with the two I had.