The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 7, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Dreaming100Straight

Yay, a new baby soon to come

HOme remodeling isn't all bad. After getting a complete kitchen remodel and new flooring throughout this beaten up old house, I GET TO BUY A NEW SHOTGUN!!!!

Now to drool over all the goodies out there.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:31 AM   #2
A400 Fan

After all that, you still have money left over for a new gun?!?! WOW!?!?

Since you like trap:

http://www.ljuticgun.com/

http://www.silverseitz.com/

https://www.krieghoff.com/competitio...gle-shot-trap/

http://www.perazzi.com/site/en/compe...0double%20trap
Old August 8, 2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

If I could spend on guns what the remodeling runs, I could have several of those. As is, it would be a big stretch to find a good used model in my budget, and this is only a partial remodel.

I know, there is the place in Florida that will let me check a K out (and sink the hook deep in me).
Old August 8, 2014, 01:30 PM   #4
A400 Fan

Yep, Hal DuPont's daughter, Kemble, now runs her dad's firm. Cost is a couple of hundred (which covers shipping and insurance) and that is applied to your purchase from them. Definitely worth looking into if you are seriously interested in buying a K-gun.

Quote:
Test Drive Program:

For the demo process, a “Test Drive” application is to be submitted to duPont/Krieghoff. This form will specify the make, model, barrel and stock that the shooter would like to “Test Drive”. Prior to sending the gun, duPont/Krieghoff will run a credit check on the shooter applying for the demo shotgun. This process also qualifies a customer if he wishes to take advantage of our in-house finance program. A 700 credit score is required.

For a $500 demo fee duPONT/KRIEGHOFF will configure, as close as possible, a pre-owned shotgun to meet the shooter’s specifications. We will ship the shotgun to your local FFL holder who will receive the gun and then transfer it to you based on the laws of your state. You can demo the gun for up to 3 weeks at your local gun club to make your evaluation.

The Demo fee covers the shipping and insurance of the gun to the FFL holder, and the return shipping and insurance charges of the demo back to duPont/Krieghoff. A return label will be included with the gun, and after the three week demo period has expired duPont/Krieghoff will arrange for UPS pick up of the demo shotgun.

In some instances a pre-owned gun can be configured for a shooter who would like to purchase a pre-owned shotgun. In those instances, if after the demo period the gun has met or exceeded his expectations and he wishes to purchase this gun, he can do so and the $500 will be credit against the transaction. If the gun is not as desired, it can be returned with the enclosed return label.

duPont/Krieghoff will credited the $500 demo fee against the purchase of any new or pre-owned shotgun or rifle made within 3 months of the demo period.

It’s that easy!
Old August 8, 2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Dreaming100Straight

A mere $500, but if I about to spend $15K and was pretty well certain what I wanted, it may be worth it to make sure of things - especially if the $500 is credited to the purchase.

I must live in a ghetto. I went to the better if not best club in the area to see about their demo rentals, and the best they had was a CG Summit Impact. I am not knocking the CG, which is something I will consider, but it isn't a trap gun (although it has a lot of features that enable it to be used for trap).

Someday I should drag myself to one of the major shoots; the ones that top vendors and manufacturers attend. I was at a local annual shooting fair and if I didn't look like a vagrant I may have had an opportunity to shoot a DT-11 and a CG Trap model. Even then, I think the throwers they had set up were throwing easy targets. Perhaps if I said I was BigJimP (and they believed me) they would have broken out the goodies for me.
Old August 8, 2014, 04:10 PM   #6
A400 Fan

You want to attend The Grand in Sparta, or at least, the Western Grand (if it is still being held) out your way. It USED to be held in Reno at Sage Hill, but Darla closed the doors and retired - not sure where it is now, if at all.
Old August 8, 2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Dreaming100Straight

I don't know about the Western Grand, but the state ATA trap championship is in Kingsburg. There is a new fancy facility at Las Vegas that would be natural for attracting a large shoot.
Old August 9, 2014, 12:44 AM   #8
zippy13

Dreaming, my friend, what do you have in mind -- I'm guessing a dedicated trap gun -- a single, O/U or combo?

Checking out Kingsburg couldn't hurt. Then you could head over to Pacific Sporting Arms for a reality check.
Old August 9, 2014, 03:21 AM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

Zippy, I have been to Pacific Sporting Arms and had my reality check. At the time, John was showing me a CG Sporting and if I could have shot it I may have got one.

At this time I don't think I would go with a single, under or top. Probably another o/u, but one designed more for the requirements of trap as well as my personal fit. Adjustable Monte Carlo and a trap rib.

I could probably do about as well with the XS Skeet, not as well but almost as well, but if the wife says I can get another gun who am I to argue? I doubt that I have, or if I did I would lay out, the moolah for the guns oneounce linked; at least new. I may have a line on an almost new CG Summit Trap if I am patient, but I don't know if I can be patient.

I hear a lot of good things about CG and if I go that way I can afford to hold on to the XS Skeet. That would be nice as I am starting to taste more venues other than trap. Had my intro to sporting clays a couple weeks ago and Sunday I am going to see Ziggy (Don Ziegler) for another group skeet lesson.

I may put off buying anything for a bit more, while I check into a new eyeglass prescription. If this new OD is correct, I may have a fix for all the problems I had trying to shoot 2 eyed. I don't see how that would affect the choice of a gun, but I don't know that it would not. As I shoot more the main thing I learn is that the amount I do know pales all the more in comparison to what I don't know.