The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2005, 06:44 PM   #1
DakTo

A question for experienced reloaders.

I'm wondering, and you may know, if the recoil would be the same in 38 and 357 if the same powder and projo were used with slightly different weights of powder in the case. I plan to reload +P for my wife's 38 SP101. I have a GP100 and SP101 in 357. I know the ring inside the cylinder can be cleaned but i don't want a foul up and let my wife practice with a load that is beyond her comfort and safety. Therefore i would like to use the 357 case for my practice and competition rounds to avoid this problem. Would the case length make a difference, or would/could the powder variation balance out the recoil factor?
Old April 14, 2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Cpt. Jack

If I'm understanding what you're trying to do : (Equalize the felt recoil in both your wife's SP101 .38 special, and your SP101 .357 ?) Yes, you can more or less do it. Assuming both guns have same barrel length and are about the same weight, and you are using same bullet and powder for both loads, then equal velocities should produce approximately similar felt recoil. So, since with equal amounts of powder in both the .38 and .357 cases, the .357 load will be slower (In this example, bigger case=lower pressure=lower velocity) you will need to slightly increase the charge in the .357 load until the velocity is equal to the .38 load.

If that's not what you're trying to do, please clarify a bit more, and we'll have another try at a solution.
Old April 14, 2005, 08:48 PM   #3
scottys1

Yes, .357 ammo can be downloaded to .38 velocity and recoil easily. Take a look in your loading manual(s) for more info.
Cpt. Jack said it well. The powder charge will need to be adjusted slightly to compensate for the extra case capacity, but what you are proposing should be easily attainable.
Old April 14, 2005, 09:02 PM   #4
smokin54

Key words < Refer to your manual !!
Some powders should not be reduced , It will endup with a condition known as detonation . This is were the powder and the gun explodes , When the powder should have burned and sent the round down range.
Old April 15, 2005, 04:04 PM   #5
DakTo

I should have made myself clearer. My wife doesn't practice much but she is a natural pointer and her Plus-P will be only used at close proximity. What i wanted to avoid was making a ring in the cylinder and was curious if i could use 357 brass and build a practice/competition round. When we shoot plates at our range it's not required that they fall. I've looked in several loading manuals and even found cowboy loads for the 357. What i am asking is, all things being equal, will using the 357 case have any positive or negative effects other than requiring more powder in the case?
Old April 15, 2005, 04:34 PM   #6
Jim Watson

It will not cause a problem to shoot .357 Magnum cases in a .357 Magnum revolver. There are low-end .357 loads in print that you can use. Or you can just load as for .38 Special. Add a little powder - half a grain will be close enough in most instances - if you want to compensate for the extra volume.
Old April 16, 2005, 10:43 AM   #7
DakTo

Thanks everyone... i've been loading a couple of years. I've learned that you can't be to careful, so do your research, varify your data, quit thinking you will save money, get considerable more trigger time, and enjoy your pleasurable hobby. Loy M
Old April 17, 2005, 12:07 PM   #8
Dogjaw

I use .357 brass for lead target loads. They group better out of my 586, and I don't have as much buildup in the cylinder to contend with. I'm using 5.0 grains of W321 with a CCI-500 primer for 158 grain lead semi wad cutters. This load is out of the Speer #11 manual, which lists 4.9 - 5.4 grains of 231, and is slow enough to prevent barrel leading. I have gone with 5.4 grains, depending on the bullet manufacturer to get the best accuracy. Felt recoil is only slightly more than .38 special target loads in my 6" 586. I've tried 148 gr. wad cutters, but they don't happen to fly as well out of my revolver.

Winchester's 15th edition reloading manual (available at Winchesters website in PDF format) shows 6.7 grains of 321, but with higher velocities that may cause leading unless your using hard cast bullets.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old April 17, 2005, 08:30 PM   #9
drinks

.38-.357

Dakto;
The purpose of the extra .1" length of the .357 case is to keep it from being chambered in a .38sp.
Are you having the .38sp rechambered to .357?
Are you doing some thing to the .357 case to make it chamber in the .38sp?
Don