The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 31, 2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Gaitsofheaven

I'm a newbie and have a question - coyotes!

I live in North Carolina farmland and have seen several coyotes on the edges of the woods as I'm mowing my pastures. I just ordered a military shotgun scabbard to mount on my tractor so I'm prepared next time. My question is this: I'd like to use my Browning .20 ga pump with #4 buckshot with a full choke since they're going to be pretty close - 40-50 yds. This will be my first time trying to nail a coyote - used to hunt upland game birds in my home state of Michigan. Is it doable? I already have the gun and don't really want to spend the money for another.

P.S. Before y'all go thinking I'm a wimp for using a .20 ga, I am a female and I feel comfortable with this gun.

Thanks for any input/advice!
Old July 31, 2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Probably work okay. My only shotgun experience of that sort was on a bobcat at about 25 yards. Full-choke 12-gauge, high-brass 7-1/2 shot. One somersault and a flop.

Wouldn't hurt to do some practicing to get a good feel for sight picture for 40/50 yards.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Gaitsofheaven

Thanks, and I think I will practice a bit before I get out there!
Old August 1, 2014, 06:01 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Oh I don't think you'll have to worry about #4 buck not doing its job. You'll be doing the neighborhood a favor by removing a couple of them mangy dogs. Its kind of a trade off though. You'll gain a fawn or two occasionally in the woods but loose a good mouser._
BTW. Welcome to the TFLF Ms.
Old August 1, 2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Gaitsofheaven

Thanks! If I bag any, I'll post a pic! Wish me luck (I know that's what it'll take on these guys!). I also heard if you give a couple barks as he starts to turn away, he may stop and look for a few seconds and give you a better chance. Here's hoping!
Old August 1, 2014, 07:32 AM   #6
jmr40

40-50 yards is right on the edge of being too far. Patterns are going to be pretty thin out there. I'd use a rifle, even a 22 rimfire at 40-50 yards would be my preference over a shotgun. When calling them and at ranges of 25 yards of so a shotgun would be a good choice.
Old August 1, 2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Gaitsofheaven

A .22-250 was my second choice -IF I decide to buy. We will see how this goes with my trusty shotgun...and thanks for the input!
Old August 1, 2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Ruger480

Go with your second choice. If you are thinking of getting a new gun for that purpose don't even mess with your 20. Jmr40 is right about a thin pattern.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:07 AM   #9
Gaitsofheaven

Old August 1, 2014, 09:41 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If the shotgun has screw-in chokes, try an Xtra-full or Turkey choke. If there is a competent gunsmith nearby, the barrel can be threaded for screw-in chokes.
Old August 1, 2014, 10:20 AM   #11
603Country

I wouldn't bother with a shotgun. Dang coyotes will sit and watch you and the tractor, but I haven't seen them get in range yet. I'd get a scoped Ruger American or a stainless mini-14 and put that on the tractor. Or one of the cheaper Savage offerings. The obvious caliber choice is 223. Another possible option would be something in 22 mag.
Old August 1, 2014, 04:19 PM   #12
2damnold4this

Good luck! I hope you kill a bunch of yotes.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:01 PM   #13
Gaitsofheaven

I think the consensus out there among most of you "seasoned" coyote hunters is that I "may" get a good shot off if the dog is within a short range with my shotgun, but if I go ahead and get a decent varmit rifle with a scope, I'll have all the bases covered.

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne
Old August 1, 2014, 08:12 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Most any medium power rifle (.223, 7.62x39, e.g.) will do just fine. If iron sights, you're good to go if you can most of the time hit a beer can out around a hundred yards.

Semi-auto or bolt-action; doesn't really matter. Ol' Wily doesn't hang around for a second shot if the first one is a miss.

I don't have any idea about your budget, but the pawn shops are loaded with good used bolt-action rifles with scopes. They generally are invested about 40% to 50% of the asking price, so there's lots of room to argue over price.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Panfisher

None of my tractors have ever been what you might call "firearm friendly". No good place to store it, lots of things to bump with it, damaging wood, optics etc. While I have considered it before after getting into the seat just didn't like the feel. That plus it was 99.99999% tractor driving for that one or at best two shots from a moving tractor just didn't seem worth it to me. If I had a good place to put it my old Marlin .22WMR would likely get the job. If I had a really good place to put it maybe my NEF Handi Rifle in .223 for a solid kill.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:48 PM   #16
603Country

Often, if you look close and have the time, you'll see the coyotes moving in pairs. Always shoot the one in back. The front one most times will run a ways and then turn to see about 'the one in back'. That's when you pop that second one.

Like I said earlier, several times I've had a couple of coyotes come into a field I was working with the tractor and just sit and watch. And I never have a rifle when they do.

Probably, if I wanted a tractor rifle, I'd prowl pawn shops and gun shows for a beater bolt action 223, and even better if it was stainless. You want a short rifle, the shorter the better. I'd put a fixed 4 power (Leupold, Vortex, Burris, Weaver) on it, with real sturdy bases. Won't rust, already beat up a bit, so no worries about getting it banged up. put it in a foam filled case for ATV's and duct tape the case to the ROP.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:57 PM   #17
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Thanks! I also heard if you give a couple barks as he starts to turn away, he may stop and look for a few seconds and give you a better chance. Here's hoping!
I've dropped many a coyote that stop after I gave them a quick bark, it does work.

As for what gun to use I prefer a good bolt action in 223 over the 22-250, I have both, my bolt 223 is my go to gun.

A bolt action 204 would be another good choice.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old August 2, 2014, 09:50 PM   #18
Mobuck

I have serious doubts that you'll kill coyotes with a 20 ga and buckshot @40+ yards. Even a 22lr will do more good at that range. A 22 bullet through the ribcage may not kill them on the spot but they'll most likely die soon.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:06 AM   #19
BuckRub

Yep I agree. A 20 gauge at 40 yards. It'll kill a yote but maybe after he ran for 2 miles. Get a marlin auto with a cheap Simmons 3 X 9 scope and make head shots. I also prefer a 223 over all rest calibers for your purpose. Plus it's cheap for ammo so practicing doesn't break the bank and light recoil makes pure enjoyment.
But if I only had a 20 gauge and didn't plan on buying another gun. I'd either borrow a gun from a friend or I'd take my 20 and have a blast.
Old August 3, 2014, 01:15 PM   #20
Unlicensed Dremel

Brutha, shotguns of any gauge are for "up TO 30 yards" for snapshots with buckshot like you describe, and 30 yards is even a slight stretch**. At 40-50 + yards, you need a rifle (or precision handgun or even a .357 mag long-barreled handgun or similar). Get a decent used rifle in .223 rem, .222 rem, .22 hornet, .22 K-hornet, .218 Bee, .22 Donaldson wasp, .20 Tactical, .221 fireball, .22 Zipper, .19 Calhoun hornet, .22-250, or .204 ruger...something like that. My preference for that role is a .223 rem in a lightweight rifle, where cheap and good ammo is ubiquitous, the recoil light, but the trajectory very laser-like to more than 200 yards.

**40 and even 45 yards is doable with a smoothbore when sitting in ambush for a turkey with 5 shot and an ultra-tight choke, but not for what you describe (possibly moving game, snapshot, etc). If you DO try using a 20 gauge, use Federal Flite-Control ammo or an ultra-full turkey choke with lead ammo (unless the buckshot you buy recommends a different choke). Then get closer. 20 ga is plenty good for this purpose *within its range*; that last part being key.

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; August 4, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:51 AM   #21
tahunua001

this is just personal preference but 40-50 yards is a bit of a stretch for any shotgun, not because they don't have enough power but because the patterns expand too much but reliably hit an animal, especially a small animal like a coyote at that range. as you're not after meat it's not quite as big of deal if you end up getting a couple balls in the legs or backbone, and immobilize it long enough for a couple followup shots, but as hunters, it's our duty to make the animals suffer as little as possible in the process of harvesting them. a rifle would make this much easier to accomplish. 20 gauge is actually a pretty decently recoiling caliber, a 223 remington or 7.62x39 would be well within the range of your tolerance level if you are comfortable with the 20 gauge. if you really don't want to spend a lot of money on a rifle that's just going to sit in the tractor for coyotes then might I suggest something like a cheap Chinese SKS? they usually can be found for about $250 and would easily dispatch problem puppies at 40-50 yards as long as you do your part.

in the end, it's your decision, not mine, or any other member here, what you propose will kit coyotes, just not reliably at the ranges you specified.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:05 PM   #22
Mobuck

I've shot some yotes with a shotgun-the first nearly 1/2 century ago. The only two I can remember killing DRT were shot while hunting other game. One was while turkey hunting and took 2 ounce of copper plated #4 @ 25 yards. The other was while doing a pheasant drive. The coyote was crossing in front and took 1 3/8 ounce of #4 @ less than 30 yards. The rest, shot at longer ranges with #4 buck, #2, or BB either ran off crippled or ran a fair piece before going down or were bayed by the hounds.
I just don't have a high regard for the effectiveness of shotguns on coyotes unless you're literally on top of them.
Old August 4, 2014, 09:11 PM   #23
Grizz12

nobody mentioned rifled barrels and slugs, why?
Old August 4, 2014, 11:40 PM   #24
Water-Man

With a 20ga. at that distance, I'd use #2 or #3 buckshot.
Old August 6, 2014, 02:42 AM   #25
fivepaknh

If you're going to use a shotgun at that range then put HEVI-Shot through it. It'll get you a few more yards of range. http://www.hevishot.com/

Tags
20 gauge , browning , coyote , pump shotgun