The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 26, 2016, 01:11 PM   #51
Slamfire

The linked BCM is a trifle high at $3,200, ahem, but I am certain someone wants it.

There are more affordable M1911's in 9mm but while M1911's are more expensive than other types, I really don't know why the quantum jump in prices for the things. We do know that the M1911 was made in an era when manufacturing costs were basically ignored by designers. So were logistic considerations. Now days, total lifecycle cost is something Militaries ask for estimates with the bids. The Program Manager for the 9mm Project gave my Gun Club a lecture. He was in charge from the creation of the source selection criteria to award. He stated that SIG's lifecycle cost is why the contract was awarded to Berretta. Both were considered equally acceptable, but SIG's repair part costs were so high that in terms of total lifecycle cost, they were too high. As an owner of a SIG P220, I can attest that SIG parts are very expensive.

With today's design teams, manufacturing and logistic representatives are on the team, providing input as to the tooling, materials, etc, for modern designs. You take a look at older military designs, many parts required special tooling, fixtures, to make. This is very expensive to have to make a special machine or machine tool. It is even more expensive to have a decided human operating a machine. I have no doubt that early M1911 factories had a lot of single operation machines run by a person, and that most parts required a lot of special machines and special machine tooling.

However, with the CNC revolution, we have seen prices on M1911's come down. The cheaper versions are quite affordable, especially compared to the bad old days when only Colt made M1911's. Adjust Colt prices for inflation and see. Plus, back then, just getting a M1911 was an accomplishment, they were hard to find. I really don't know why in today's machining and manufacturing world why M1911's still command a premium. Older guns were file and fit at the end, but with today's Computer manufacturing, machining and tolerancing, I don't see why anyone has to file a part to fit. Maybe the design is time consuming to make compared to others. Or maybe, it is that American's will pay the price, heck if I know.
Old May 26, 2016, 01:19 PM   #52
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Maybe the design is time consuming to make compared to others
It is. The Luger, I think, was more so.

They were limited in those days in terms of what could be manufactured. That led to higher parts count. An the methods of making those parts was more costly.
Old May 26, 2016, 01:28 PM   #53
KyJim

Quote:
That Bravo Company 1911 is built by Wilson Combat, I think it's their CQB model with some additional upgrades.
Wilson certainly knows how to make a good 1911, no doubt. I was unaware from the thread that Wilson built the Bravo Company 1911.
Old May 26, 2016, 03:56 PM   #54
briandg

I believe th a supply/demand is trust the wrong thought. If thev1911 went into wartime production of hundreds of thousands of mil spec units and every maker, even Microsoft had their companies turned to wartime production, the 1911 design would never, ever be able to reach a scale of economy that the nylon guns could reach under identical conditions.

How is a glock mag made? Two lips are placed in a mold and some machine splorks in a glob of polymer. How is a colt magazine made? Sheet steel is punched into shape, hooked into a banding jig, welded into a tube, milled, etc.

How about the hammer? E other it's milled or forged from ordinary stock, or molded an finished. Wait, glock doesn't have one!

We can't compare any steel framed gun with polymer, and imo, it's pointless. The things aren't apples and oranges, they are cranberries and turnips. They are not both the same thing. Any steel frame is going to be very different. The difference begins with the fact that a steel frame gun starts out with a slide, barrel, and frame made of steel, with many other steel parts, and a nylon gun completely bypasses the steel frame and the cost.

I'd rather have a steel frame.
Old May 26, 2016, 07:09 PM   #55
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
So why are the 1911s so expensive while used all-steel S&W autos are much less?
Part of it, I'm convinced, is that there are so darned many different gun makers out there making 1911s (with different levels of build quality) that no one gun maker can really achieve the economies of scale needed to offer much lower prices. (Ruger may come close, however.)

Nobody else made the S&W all-steel autos. You'll notice, too, that S&W isn't making THOSE guns any more...
Old May 27, 2016, 06:18 AM   #56
1969Colt1911

I only have them because I like them. And have A Colt and a RIA, the quality difference to price is clearly to Colt. But RIA also makes higher priced to their Mil Spec. While I'm comparing to Colts milspec. Many things to get cought up in when choosing, shooting a 1911. It's fun, easy, comfortable are big reasons it's the best handgun in my opinion. I'm talking easy to shoot and maintain, not big recoil. And a natural feel in point of aim.
Old May 27, 2016, 07:49 AM   #57
Hunter Customs

As I said there's a lot of hype that goes into making a 1911 cost so much.
The gun in this picture was built with quality top shelf parts, hand fit, some such as the thumb safety hand fabricated.
It's a 9mm, the barrel is hard fit and I can guarantee that it would shoot holes in holes, many a X shooter would have loved this one.
The gun sold new for less then half of the list price of the Bravo gun.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old May 27, 2016, 10:26 AM   #58
RickB

Quote:
even Microsoft had their companies turned to wartime production

Is that from one of those alternate history video games, where WWII lasts until 1985?
Old May 27, 2016, 10:33 AM   #59
mavracer

Quote:
Is that from one of those alternate history video games, where WWII lasts until 1985?
No it's called a hypothetical scenario, and not sure if you realize it but WWII isn't the only war in history
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."