The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 22, 2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Lyllyan

Colt 44 cal - what the heck is it?

I recently inheirited several misc revolvers of dubious quality, and am attempting to identify each one. Not to sound too girly, but the shear romance of these beautiful guns has got me obsessed in finding out all I can on their history.

The first is my favorite. There are not many markings that I can find.

It is a Colt, possibly a Baby Dragoon, Serial #191806, also found the numbers "3270" all over it, and "Colt 1360". The barrell is round, approx. 5 1/2" long, dark wood (walnut) handle. If there was ever any decorative tooling, it has long since rubbed off. The gun is in poor shape, and looks very well used, put away hot, probably dropped in the dirt several times and then stuck in a drawer. I have not made any attempts to clean it, and have no plan to do so in the immediate future.

I can post a picture if need be, just let me know. Any guesses are welcome.
Old May 25, 2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Tom2

Well either post a picture or go to the Uberti website and look at their repro Colt revolvers and see what they look like to ID it. Then you can buy from them, a nice repro and shoot it to see what it was like. I did that once. Had a 49 Colt pocket pistol that was no finish well worn. But functional and perfectly displayable. Then I got an Uberti replica like it so I could actually fire one. You can see what a mess black powder makes of revolvers and then know why they are all rusty relics!
Old May 25, 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
BILLDAVE

Love to see a pic of all of them. History makes the gun.
Old May 25, 2007, 11:10 PM   #4
mega twin

colt made an 1860 model. Maybe the 8 is worn downto look like a 3?