The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2008, 01:30 PM   #1
BurkGlocker

Difference in primers

I was looking at my primers the other day, after firing them, and it looked like the Remington primers may be softer then the Winchester primers.

is this true or do I need to cut back on my powder measure with the Remmy primers? I started with the minimum load, but it looks like the primers are flowing into the firing pin hole. Was using Unique in my 9mm loads.

Thanks,

Brad
Old August 18, 2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Loader9

Which primers and how much of what powder? Remington standard pistol primers are .020 thick and Winchesters are .021. Not near enough difference for you to have issues with one or the other at 9mm pressures.
Old August 18, 2008, 06:53 PM   #3
SL1

Thickness and hardness are different parameters

I don't know whether Winchester or Remington has the softer primer brass, because I use mostly CCI with some Winchester magnums (for W-296 powder). It could also be just one lot with soft brass.

Chronographing the loads MIGHT give you some indication, if the Remington's were substantially faster. But, it is possible for primers to raise pressures without raising velocity.

I think you will have to go with the experiences of others who have used both primers in 35,000 psi cartridges.

SL1
Old August 18, 2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Archie

Primers do vary.

PPC shooters will typically use either Federal or Remington small pistol primers as they are easier to ignite than Winchester or CCI. In that way, one can use a lighter mainspring for a lighter double action trigger pull.

I've never bothered measuring the thickness of any of them. But my experience tells me Federal is the easiest to ignite, followed by Remington, then CCI and Winchester seems the hardest. (Some disagree, this is just my experience.) I'm not sure if that means the cups are softer or not, but it's an easy conclusion to make.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old August 18, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
BurkGlocker

I was using 5.0 gr of Unique under 124 gr GDHPs with Remington small pistol primers in Winchester cases, but I loaded some with the same load, but with the WSP primers. OAL cartrige length was 1.122" which is only .002" over what Alliant recommends for OAL for that bullet and even less than 10% under the Max Load listed.

The Winchester primers didnt even have any primer flow where the Remington primers flowed completely over the firing pin indention.

Maybe this info will help more...

Thanks,

Brad

P.S. I do not own a chronograph so I do not actually know the velocity of the bullet, mostly just looking for signs of over pressure on the primer and expansion of the recovered bullets from my test mediums.