The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 30, 2000, 09:04 PM   #1
Tankist

Ok ok, I can't take it anymore... I confess, when I first got my brand new Colt GoldCup on the very same day, thru shear carelessness and clumsiness I managed to put a nice half inch flashy scratch on it's frame. While field striping the pistol I let the slide release lever swing down and take a swipe at the bead-blasted area just above the trigger. From what I hear it's a common mistake, except that I managed to do it to a $1000 Colt GC.

Is there anyway to repair this, short of sending the pistol back to Colt? If so, what would be a ballpark price for the repair? Also, I know this is a long shot but can someone recomend a good place that can do it.
Old October 31, 2000, 12:33 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Clean the affected area of any oil and then using a clean toothpick, apply some cold blue solution on the scratch. You may have to wittle down the toothpick to make it fine enough and do take your time. You want the bluing solution to affect only the scratch and not the area around it.
Old October 31, 2000, 08:15 PM   #3
Tankist

Gary,

Thank you for your reply and advice. There is currently a severe shortage of decent shooting supplies stores in my area (NYC). Can you please supply me with a brand name of the item or recommend a merchant that might carry the product you mentioned.

Again, thanks for your help.