The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 22, 1999, 02:15 AM   #1
magnumBD

I'd like to point you all to an obscure (here in the U.S. anyway) film called "Sleeping Dogs".
It's a kind of old one (1977, I believe) starring a really young Sam Neill (Jurassic Park, Hunt For Red October) but it is an amazing story. I don't want to give too much away, but this film really made me sit up and take notice.
Filmed in NZ, it's a blunt cautionary tale of Government manipulation and intrusion, not to mention gun confiscation. After being jailed and beat for getting caught with a cached rifle (an Enfield of some kind) Neill becomes a reluctant member of the people's resistance.
A little slow at times, but the action culminates with a wing of NZRAF A-4 Skyhawks rocketing a camp of "partisans". Frankly, Neill's character was written a little wimpy, in my view. Warren Oates has a cameo as the leader of an American "mercenary" outfit brought in to reinforce the police in subjugating the people.
I taped it off of "Bravo" a couple of years ago, but it was in my BlockBuster store as well.
The more time passes, the more relevant this movie seems. I encourage everyone to watch it, and I'd like to hear your opinions.
It just occurred to me to check Cornered Rat's page to see if it's listed.

------------------
God Bless America, we really could use the help!
Old May 19, 2002, 03:29 AM   #2
Dagny

In New Zealand or Australia or Massachusetts reality may be getting too close to what used to be such fiction to be comfortable.
Old May 20, 2002, 11:52 AM   #3
uptown

link to your movie.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0076725