The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 30, 2014, 04:23 AM   #1
AnimalMother

Anyone have expierence with the Savage Axis II?

Anyone have expierence with the Savage Axis II?
I read that they have a better scope and the accutrigger.

I have just picked up a savage 10 in 308 but could not help but be impressed with the attractive price I had to talk myself out of the impulse buy.

To be honest I am looking for any excuse to get this including getting it for my GF. I read they are just accurate as the savage 10/11 line.

Has anyone got the newer axis model?
Old July 30, 2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Mobuck

Corners must be cut to reach that low price point. Personally, I wouldn't carry an AXIS home(or Ruger American, Marlin MX-7, Rem 770, or Mossberg?). That said, those rifles have a market so someone feels they're worthwhile(just not me). In fact, Son may be buying one for us to cut up to make a kid's rifle this year. Big difference between a cheap rifle to chop that will only be fired a limited amount and dropped, dragged, beat, and thumped as usually happens to kids' guns during the early years and an adult's rifle with, shall we say "higher expectations".
Old July 30, 2014, 07:06 AM   #3
AnimalMother

I was also looking at the Stevens 200 but can't seem to find one in stock and my LGS has not seen any in over a year.

It does feel like the budget rifles are going up in quality. I have room in my safe for another rifle, perhaps its time to get a 270. I've always wanted a 300wm but I can't justify actually getting one I that caliber.
Old July 30, 2014, 09:06 AM   #4
Colt46

Corners were cut

But only from areas that are not important to the basic functions of an accurate rifle.
The stevens 200 is nothing more than a very plain savage 110. I'm pretty sure that production stopped within the last year(although some retailers still have them). The Axis is a further attempt at streamlining and improving the budget rifle. Both the stevens and Axis get high marks for accuracy.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Orion6

I bought my daughter an Axis Youth last year (not the Axis II) and it's a great rifle. It's already killed three deer. I did lighten the trigger on it just a little. It's much crisper and about 5lbs if I had to guess. Good for a younger hunter.

I see nothing different besides the better scope and Accutrigger, which is great. They didn't change anything else, so I don't think I'd hesitate to buy an Axis II.

My only gripe is that they won't make any in longer barreled configuration.
Old July 30, 2014, 07:12 PM   #6
AnimalMother

Thats good to hear guys. Is the axis its own design or is itsimilar to the 100?
I can't stop looking at the price when I pop by my LGS and its on sale now.
Old July 30, 2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Devdev08

I bought the axis 2 in March and haven't shot it yet but I bought is for the accutrigger the scope on it to me isn't bad but I have no experience with scopes. When I hold it it feels like a solid gun I'm hoping to be going to the range next Saturday. (I've said this for months now.)
Old July 31, 2014, 06:26 AM   #8
Orion6

It is a uniquedesign, but is similar to a 10/110 in many ways. It is very much a Savage, just one created to reduce production costs even more. From what I have seen the vast majority of owners are satisfied. They have a reputation for great accuracy.
Old August 1, 2014, 06:51 PM   #9
pathdoc

I've got one in .223 Remington, and while I'm still getting used to it, I'm not at all unhappy to have bought it.

Is it the MOA-out-of-box rifle they claim it is? For small groups (the first three or five shots from cold bore), I think yes. My groups were somewhat bigger than this, but the rest I was using was not ideal, the ammo was hardly top notch (Winchester White Box 55gn FMJ) and I admit to not being the world's best shooter.

After the first ten in a short space of time, the barrel heats up and the groups start to open. This is not, IMO, a rifle designed to deliver rapid fire with ongoing MOA accuracy (it needs a heavier barrel for that than it's got) - but you may not need that for what you're doing. It all depends.

The only thing I've found annoying about it is that when single loading, I can't simply toss a cartridge into the feedway and slam it home smoothly & without problems the way I can with my SMLE. It has to be put directly into the chamber or against the bolt face when the bolt's right back. From the magazine, though, it's sweet.