The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 8, 2012, 01:15 PM   #1
jasmith85

Sig Sauer P226 Caliber X-Change Kits

I have been thinking about buying a caliber exchange kits from MidwayUSA but am worried it won't fit my gun properly. My P226 is a 9mm and I was thinking about buying one in .357 Sig. On MidwayUSA it doesn't mention a requirement for what caliber your gun is originally but on Sig Sauer's website they list the exchange kit as specifically for the .22lr version of the P226. The kit comes with everything I would expect to be different between the 9mm and .357 Sig but I don't want to buy one and find out the frame is built slightly different or there be some other reason I can't use it. Has anyone purchased and installed one of these on a caliber other than .22lr and if so does it fit just like it was meant for that caliber?
Old May 8, 2012, 01:34 PM   #2
rbernie

The slide was changed (made heavier, altered breechface and ejection port dimensions) when Sig chambered their P series for the 40S&W. This means that the 9mm P226 slide will not accept a factory 40S&W/357Sig barrel. That's why the 9mm Sigs only have 22LR X-Change kits.
Old May 8, 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
jasmith85

The kit that I'm looking at isn't just one of the drop in barrels you can buy to go from .40 S&W to .357 Sig. It includes a new slide as well as the barrel and a few other parts. Here is the link for it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/153...round-magazine

On Sig's website it says its made to switch a .22lr P226 to one of the centerfire cartridges. I'm just wondering if the kit will work on a 9mm frame or if there is a difference between it and the .22lr version. MidwayUSA doesn't mention it being specifically for changing a .22lr but Sig's website does.