The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2012, 03:12 PM   #1
JoshC243

need help with my .243 win

im looking to start reload .243 win. i need a lil help I'm new to reloading and i need to know what works and what doesn't i'm looking at a 55g bullet and 100g as well. is that any brands that seem to shot better? and what about powders is there one better then the other? what about primers? I'm not looking in to a mass reloading so im looking in to at the classic lee loader. any other tips
Old April 5, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Logan9885

I would go with Sierra 85gr Hollow Point Gamekings. Cheap, very very accurate, and will take coyotes and deer. As for powder, I have always liked IMR4064 and primers I go with the winchester large rifle. Both the powder and primers are very common and easy to find. The lee loader would prob. serve you fine, I personally use RCBS
Old April 5, 2012, 03:32 PM   #3
David Bachelder

Buy a manual, read it, follow the directions.

Look here for good reload data: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

LEE would not be my choice, LEE makes good stuff but presses don't seem to be one of them. Read the reviews, make your own choice. After reading several reviews I decided to buy RCBS. It's your decision, do as you feel is right. Money should never be the single deciding factor.

I load for the Win243 and have had great luck. I use the Hornady 95 grain STS bullets. I buy them from Midway or Powder Valley or any other competent dealer. There are several, shop around.

I loaded with the intent of shooting a hog, unfortunately the hog didn't show up so I used them for target practice.

I use CCI large rifle primers.
I use either Varget or IMR4350 powder. I have found that my gun prefers the Varget. I had to buy 243 brass, I've never been able to find many at the range.

Post questions here, the knowledge base here is enormous.
Old April 5, 2012, 03:34 PM   #4
hooligan1

He says tomatoe, and I say Sheboigan! I'm working up some loads right now that consist of 95 grn B-tip from Nosler, with H1000, Imr 4831,IMR 4350,Varget, I use CCI200 Large Rifle Primers and Winchester Brass. It's not the only bullet I want to try but it's where I started on this project.

Good Luck and happy shooting dude..... get a Manual!!
Old April 5, 2012, 04:08 PM   #5
JoshC243

well the lee classic loader is a hand loader not a press. again I'm loading about 40 cases max.

I'm getting a manual

a friend of mind is running a 85g boat tail hollow point as a target load, but he could not remember what power he uses.

thinks for the help, nothing has be ordered yet , b/c i'm still looking into it. don't want to order and then not like it. but i do know one man's combo might not be good for another.
Old April 5, 2012, 04:19 PM   #6
hooligan1

If your friend can't remember the powder of his own handloads, then I'd leave him at arms-length, and pay attention to those in the know!! Look if you want to begin handloading for your rifle, you might as well start out with a decent press as well as other loading tools.

See what gets me is the number of people that for one reason or another want to load but not get far enough into it as to take it seriously, like they just want to casually load up the most "super duper" accurate loads that no man hath ever seen... But mostly they just don't want to get into it enough to have to buy the proper tools necessary for "super duper" performance. The dependability of duplicating those "super duper" loads isn't very good without good equipment and good components
When it all comes down to it, that's all I want to do is to duplicate those "super duper" loads I shot at the range last weekend.
Old April 5, 2012, 04:37 PM   #7
AllenJ

I started my 243 off with IMR4350 and got excellent accuracy using a Barnes 80 grain TTSX. I also shot some 100 grain Remington Core-lokts and Accutips, the accuracy was not as good as the Barnes but still under 1". The only other powder I have tried so far is Reloader 17. It has not shown to be as accurate as the 4350, not yet anyway!
Old April 5, 2012, 04:47 PM   #8
JoshC243

hooligan1 you seem a lil made there. i never said i wanted a super duper load. what i buy form the works great. but i hate spending 30-35 bucks for only 20 rounds when i can spend about 60-65 bucks and make 100 rounds. i don't go and shot much and form what i wanting and what I'm looking for in "loaders" i dont need a press right now. I'm looking into a press but not right now.

dropping 85-90 totle for a simple loader , bullets,primers, and powders. to get a fell for if it and even if i want to do it form here on out. is a lot cheaper then dropping 100-500 on a press, 80-150 on dies, plue bullets, primers, and powder

I just wanted a idea on some good combos so i would have a starting point
Old April 5, 2012, 05:20 PM   #9
mrawesome22

Is wood noot taken aidvise frum sum1 woo disnt noe whit pilder he usses in him loadrs.
Old April 5, 2012, 05:50 PM   #10
JoshC243

talking about reloading when you working, is a little hard to remember every detail. i couldn't remember what gran of bullet i was shooting throw it there for a long time.

look im just looking for some idea's on what powder and bullets work good together.

and people here have did just that
Old April 5, 2012, 06:40 PM   #11
dacaur

Quote:
LEE would not be my choice, LEE makes good stuff but presses don't seem to be one of them. Read the reviews, make your own choice.
I really dont want to start anything here, but where did you go to read reviews? I only ask becuase I have not seen any reviews or posts that claim lee doesnt make good presses, quite the opposite, other than from people who have never touched a lee press in their life.... in fact I dont see people posting negatives about any press really... It doesnt matter what color the press is, those who use them, love them, of course, EVERYONE who wants an auto indexing turret press or a hand press uses LEE .....
Old April 5, 2012, 07:14 PM   #12
wncchester

"I have not seen any reviews or posts that claim lee doesnt make good presses, quite the opposite,.."

Off topic but, ROGER THAT! It seems the less some people actually know the more certain they will be, not that truth matters because few are going to change their minds.

I have a bit of mechanist background and know how to properly test a press for deflection under load. I also know the grade of aluminum alloy Lee uses in their presses is astonishingly strong but I didn't know just how strong they are until I tested three of Lee's so-called 'cheap pot metal' presses while FL sizing .30-06, two being the very small C presses and an O press. None of them deflected enough for my 1 thou reading dial indicator to get a reading! But my RCBS Rock Chucker II springs almost three thou doing exactly the same test; that's not bad but it's NOT as rigid as the Lee alum alloy types and rigid helps when making high grade ammo.

Lee's Classic Cast is bigger, stronger, will be longer lasting and has much better user features than the competitors in that class of presses; IF I ever have to replace my old RC that's what I'll get.
------------------------------------------------------

Josh, all of our bullet makers produce good stuff; the way your rifle shoots will depend a lot more on what it likes than the brand of bullets. I would try Sierra, Hornady or Nosler first but others also shoot well IF the load is properly developed AND if the rifle likes 'em. I will say that it can be harder to get really light bullets (55 gr.) to shoot well - 75 to 100 grains seem to do better more often than lighter or heavier.

Last edited by wncchester; April 5, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old April 5, 2012, 07:41 PM   #13
JoshC243

well im talking about the hand loader not a press
i'm talking about this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/530...243-winchester
Old April 5, 2012, 08:12 PM   #14
Logan9885

ii

Last edited by Logan9885; April 5, 2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old April 5, 2012, 08:36 PM   #15
er775

I load Hornady 95 gr sst bullet with Hodgdon 4831 powder at 42.1 grns I use winchester brass and winchester large rifle primers, works very well for deer and is very tolerable in recoil, my wife and kids shoot these loads and even say they like it better than factory loads( less recoil ) they are very accurate out to hundred yards, havent shot them any further than that but I m sure they will reach out as far as necessary
Old April 5, 2012, 08:37 PM   #16
JoshC243

money is tit so it well haft to do for now.
Old April 5, 2012, 08:43 PM   #17
JoshC243

recoill is not an issue here i got a 308 and a 300 win mag i know with factory im getting 1.5 to 3 in grouping thats with 100g . if i get that or better i will be happy.

next to that i have no room for a good press any ways
Old April 5, 2012, 09:19 PM   #18
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

What's the twist on your tube?

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 5, 2012, 10:55 PM   #19
dacaur

Quote:
next to that i have no room for a good press any ways
I hope thats not because you live in an apartment, because the lee loader is NOT apartment friendly.... lots of banging with a hammer, your neighbors will hate you... The lee loader can produce very accurate ammo, but for load development you will need a scale too.

When choosing a bullet and powder to try first with a new caliber, I generally go for the stuff about middle to upper of the pack in weight and burn speed... so for bullets, around 75gr is where I would start. I have had very good luck with hornady SST's in my .308 and my uncles .300 savage that I made up a load for... I have heard plenty of good things about v-max too. My .308 loves varget, and I have read plenty of reports from .243 owners that it works well there too... I dont have a .243, but WHEN I get one the first load I try will be a 75gr bullet with 38gr of varget, have read multiple times that works well (after working up to make sure its safe of course)

I have heard that the scoop that comes with the .243 lee loader scoops almost exactly 38gr of varget...

Last edited by dacaur; April 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:23 AM   #20
JoshC243

its a 10 to 1 twist is whats marked on the barrel. no i live in a 2 bed room house that i would say is about 750-800sf

my rifle has some issues that need to be taken care of. its was not floated right for the factory and the scope is crape seen as i put it on my 22 and zeroed it on the bench rest at 25yd's. then put it on a bag up front and it was shooting way off, and this was in a in door range.

i well be getting a scale just to double check.

i'm seen is the varget seems to be the chose for a staring point. as for bullets im still up in the air.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:45 AM   #21
hooligan1

I'm not mad, I just want you to get the most out of what money you do spend... And believe me brother it can get expensive,especially if you get "hooked" on it like most of us have.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:53 AM   #22
JoshC243

will im an auto tech at pep boys i get paid crap. and i know what you main. but with me liveing in sc 22lr,243,300winmag, and 308 is all i need. so if i can get away with one type of power that well work for them ass it would be grate but it never works that way
Old April 6, 2012, 07:03 AM   #23
hooligan1

Sometimes a rifle doesn't care for what others like, so it's up to you to find a bullet that that rifle will shoot perfectly... That don't mean that the loads written here won't work,, just saying it requires "legwork" finding the right combo,,, Manuals contain starting and ending points, they are most important.
When you want to try a certain bullet,,, by all means buy that bullet makers loading manual.. it makes it easier than trying all of our loads and not coming up with the one.

The one,,, is the load that we strive to find for our rifles...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the one! 001.jpg (158.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by hooligan1; April 6, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old April 6, 2012, 07:14 AM   #24
JoshC243

yea i know its all about what the rifle likes. time and money that goes in and worth the work. t think im going to start with a 85 boat tail hallow with the vergat powder as for powder load when the book comes in i well go form there
Old April 6, 2012, 08:01 AM   #25
waterboy68

My weatherby seems to really like the Sierra 70gn hollow points with Varget. Easily comes in under an inch at 100yds. One day if I ever have time I'll mess with these and others some more to see if I can get them tighter.

The 80gn Nosler Ballistic tip varmint and the 87gn Hornady V-max do well too, but not quite as tight as the Sierras. All are loaded with Varget.
But as mentinoed before - All guns are not created equally. Just because it works well in mine doesnt mean it will in yours!
Oh - And I do use a Lee single stage (lowest cost I could find at the time) press & dies for most of my rifle loads and they work just fine as long as I set them up right.