The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 27, 2010, 09:14 AM   #1
Steven_Seagal

Can cops carry their gun of choice?

LEO's don't have to carry department issued handguns right? Can they purchase their own, at a LE price, and carry that if they wish?

Say I'm a cop and I don't like Glocks - Could I go out and purchase an XD .45 for my duty pistol? do they have restrictions on what calibers you can use?

I know this is probably a pretty dumb question but I have often wondered about this.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2
rdwoody1

I don't know for sure about the caliber question, but I do have a few buddies that are cops and they were able to choose their duty gun.

I assume that LEO's are expected to be VERY comfortable with their firearm. I believe that is the reason they were able to choose their personally preferred weapon.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Leejack

I would imagine that the rules can vary from dept to dept.

Hopefully someone will chime in who has experience in this area.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:46 AM   #4
hoytinak

Some departments only issue ones and some will let you carry your own. If they do let you carry your own the department would have a list of approved handguns that you could pick from.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
(BH)

I believe most departments have a list of approved guns that officers can use if they choose to do so. I assume the guns on the list have to be reasonable in size and function, and be known to be a reliable gun.

So, I don't think you could carry a Bryco .25, but something like a Sig 226 or Beretta 92 would be fine.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old July 27, 2010, 09:55 AM   #6
deercop

Some dept's issue a particular weapon, and that is your only choice if you want to work for them.

Some dept's require you to buy your own weapon, and anything goes as long as you qualify with it.

Many dept's are in-between. You can buy your own, usually from a very restrictive list of either particular weapons, or by list of features.

In short, it varies from dept to dept, and sometimes even with divisions of the same dept.
Old July 27, 2010, 09:57 AM   #7
kraigwy

I think it depends on what department you work for. When I started with the Anchorage Police dept, we were limited to 4 in Colts or Smiths in 38/357 9yours or theirs). We could buy our own ammo and most did since the department issued 158 LRNs 38s that was cast and loaded by trustees.

I carried an issued Model 28 (which I still have). Later in my carrier they decided to allow certain semi's, I carried my USGI 1911a1 for a while but went back to my Model 28 using 150 cast SWC 357s, we had a lot of Moose-vehicle accidents and I found the SWC 357 worked better then 45 ACPs for dispatching moose.

I don't know what they issue now, some kind of semis but I think officers can still carry revolvers is they so choose.

But that was Anchorage, other departments have different rules I'm sure.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 27, 2010, 10:27 AM   #8
Wagonman

In Chicago, we are allowed to choose from a like of prescribed weapons.

When I started it was Sig, Beretta, S&W or Ruger in 9mm or .45 DAO. You could also carry a revolver with 38 special ammo.

Now, I am led to believe you may only carry a Glock 9mm in the academy.
Old July 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Single Six

For on-duty purposes,my agency allows only the issued hardware,with the exception of backup guns,which are personally owned,department approved. On the other hand,they let us qualify with pretty much anything we want for off-duty carry. But,as it's already been noted,some departments do as mine do,others let you have a lot more leeway. Just depends on who you work for.
Old July 27, 2010, 11:32 AM   #10
cougar gt-e

Quote:
In Chicago, we are allowed to choose from a like of prescribed weapons.
With the gun ban in Chicago, why did you even need to be armed? .

(That was a lame attempt at humor, by the way)
Old July 27, 2010, 11:48 AM   #11
golfnutrlv

Varies greatly by department. Here in my area, as I am told, the County Sheriff's carry Glock 22's.

Spokane City Police however, can carry what they want within their approved list. I once saw a pair of Spokane Police officers around town in a store. One had a full size Glock, don't know which for sure, but the other had a Kimber 5" 1911, with two double mag pouches on his off side.

So it varies. I personally, would like to choose my own weapon were I a LEO.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old July 27, 2010, 12:02 PM   #12
Trigger Finger

In California it can vary between departments. I never heard of a variance within a department except for very specialized units like SWAT, NARCO or a Surveillance unit. You must carry whats issued to you with the department authorized ammunition. Sometimes you could buy a weapon on your own that meets department standards and the armorer has to check it out and enter the info onto your file. This is usually just an additional two or three guns. I think it is a liability issue here in CA.
Old July 27, 2010, 12:05 PM   #13
Auto426

As said, rules and regulations vary by department. Some departments issue one weapon and that is your only choice. Some departments mandate that your weapon be a certain caliber and let you carry whatever you want as long as it is chambered for that caliber. Some departments have a list approved calibers and handguns. Some departments simply have a list of features the gun must have, like an external safety or a firing pin block, and let you carry whatever you want as long as meets those requirements. And still some departments don't care, as long as it's larger enough to be a duty pistol and you can qualify with it.
Old July 27, 2010, 12:08 PM   #14
spacemanspiff

Some of our local PD officers kept their Sig 220's when the rest of the department moved to Glock 21's. SWAT members can carry whatever the qualify with, so you will see some with 1911's.

They all must supply their own long guns though.
Old July 27, 2010, 12:33 PM   #15
klcmschlesinger

Cougar gte

Now I thought that was funny. But some people think I'm sick.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old July 27, 2010, 01:00 PM   #16
Landric

I have worked for 5 different agencies full-time over the course of my career and one agency part-time. I had to provide my own weapon for the part-time agency (I chose a M&P40, then a M&P45 when it became available). All the other departments issued me a handgun and I had to carry it on-duty. None of them had much in the way of restrictions for BUG or Off-duty use other than the requirement that they be of quality manufacture.

My current department issues me a Glock 23 RTF2. I carry a S&W 432PD as a BUG and a Ruger SP101 and my M&P45 off-duty.

Landric
Old July 27, 2010, 01:02 PM   #17
Onward Allusion

Every dept is different. Some let you pick off a list and buy yourself. Some will supply it for you. Others will deduct your duty weapon from your pay. A lot of the departments only allow DAO these days, too.
Old July 27, 2010, 01:06 PM   #18
Onward Allusion

LOL! A real good friend (Chicago Cop) once told me that in the course of a normal day he pulled his gun out more than he pulled his **** out to take a ****.

Quote:
cougar gt-e
With the gun ban in Chicago, why did you even need to be armed? .
Old July 27, 2010, 02:18 PM   #19
Mike-Mat

My neighbor is a LEO and I'm pretty sure he has to carry the issued Glock 40cal. Backup is his choice. In the past year they switched from the Glock 9mm and he was offered to buy the old one for a deal.

Mike
Old July 27, 2010, 06:16 PM   #20
WC145

Yep, every place is different. Some depts allow only issued guns, some choose from a list, some, like mine, are buy and carry your own. It gives me a lot of leeway because I can choose what I gun I want, what caliber I want. I carry a S&W SW1911 9mm Pro Series, my BUG is a custom 9mm S&W 360J, my patrol rifle is a Bushmaster carbon fiber C15M4, my shotgun is a Mossberg 590-A1.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old July 27, 2010, 07:06 PM   #21
RETG

Choice of a SIG 226, 229 or 239.
Old July 28, 2010, 01:38 AM   #22
Trigger Finger

Buy and carry your own. Reminds me of the time my partner and myself went down into a few cities in Mexico to teach classes at the request of the Mexican Government and the departments were to provide us with bodyguards. One tall young Mexican who provided this service for us had a very large shotgun, 10 gauge with about a 34 inch barrel and he carried it everywhere he went with us. He said his department made them provide there own weapons and with 5 children it's all he could afford. The shotgun and 10 shells!