The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

NNY .223 cases

or Prvi Partizan, or Hansen, or whatever else they are stamped....

Did some searches on the forum, (, yes, it's possible) and discovered that they are roundly disliked. Well, seeing as how I had roughly 100, I thought I'd try them out anyway. They were purchased specifically as the cheapest loaded ammo that would provide brass "donor" cases. These were "Monarch", the store brand for Academy Sports. As loaded ammo, they functioned the rifle with no jams or misfires. I can't really speak to accuracy as we were just burning them up to get the cases.

No one really specified what they disliked about these cases, so I'll put my experience here for the next person who searches. When full-length resizing, the shell holder flattens out the portion of the rim where it contacts the case, so much so that the case is difficult to extract from the shell holder when the sizing operation is complete. I loaded the batch once, no feed or extraction problems on the range, but but the shell holder problem was much worse the 3rd time around. (1st shot as new factory ammo, reloaded, shot once more, attempted to load again) I ended up throwing away a good percentage of the brass because I just didn't want to deal having to wrestle it out of the shell plate. I use Hornady One Shot lube and have no problems with any other cases, .223 or otherwise.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:42 PM   #2
armedtotheteeth

HMM> I use the Monarch cases pretty much all the time. I have some with more than 10 loads on them. I have not seen this problem. The only ones i have problems with are the Brass that went through my buddies Saiga 223. Not to say something hasent changed at the High Quality factory over there in Chech Rep though.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

I thought it was my methods or the die/shell holder, but any other .223 powder-holder seems to size with no problems. Maybe I just got a bad batch? I'm lubing these things up like I was gonna, well... I'm using plenty of lube, the rims just seem weak. Other than the rims always trying to pull off, I've had no problems with bullet seating, feeding, extraction, etc. Maybe I'll pick up a new shell holder
and see if that changes anything.

I've got some NNY 7mm Rem Mag brass with multiple fairly hot loads under it's belt, with nary a problem.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; December 14, 2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old December 14, 2008, 11:27 PM   #4
armedtotheteeth

I have perhaps 800 of these cases, that have long long since lost their factory crappola bullets. They now wear a Vmax. I use Monarch because, when I hunt, I typically lose my brass. I have a brass catcher now so no more problems. ANyways, I anneal the Necks after about every few realloadings. I have no real way of keeping track of how many reloadings they have but its alot! I put 4000 rounds through my Ar last year .. Most of them being Monarch cased. I bought 1000 with the gun. Havent had the weak ring thing with mine. You got a bad batch. The Monarch ammo is dirty , stinky, and poorly made, But, the brass has been pretty good for me. Sorry you are having problems Doc
Old December 15, 2008, 01:42 PM   #5
The Lovemaster

I use PRVI in 30-06 and 6.5x55, it's great brass. I have no issues with it, and it works great. Quality Serbian stuff.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:29 PM   #6
amamnn

A lot of pooh poohing that goes on in forums is just brand snobbishness and pure ignorance. Some of it is based on half truths like the brass you mention--the loaded ammo is not much to brag about, but the brass is probably the same alloy and quality as what bears the brand name of some well respected American companies. Pretty much the same discussion concerned Sellier and Bellot brass here recently.