The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 1, 2000, 08:16 PM   #1
IAJack

Does anyone lap rings or glass bed/epoxy them or have any opinions or experience with it?
how big of difference does it make or how necessary is it?

thanks
Old June 1, 2000, 09:01 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

IAJack, lapping your rings aligns the scope perfectly. I'll say all rings are machined/cast with slight imperfections in radius and straightness. Lapping them removes these flaws. George
Old June 2, 2000, 08:33 AM   #3
Strayhorn

Honestly, I can't tell that much of a difference because I'm not that good of a shot!

However, Gale McMillian once wrote a very persuasive post to rec.guns about how lapping cures any imperfection in the rings' alignment with each other - i.e., the bottom rings are not always in a straight line. If a scope is seated in mis-aligned rings, the lenses are pulled off-center when the rings are tightened.

After reading this, I checked all my scope rings using the lapping kit from Sinclair International. I was surprised to find that every single pair of commericial rings was not true. The only rings that didn't need work were a pair of custom rings from MGW. Since then, I just lap rings as part of the normal process of building up a new rifle.

Regards,
Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC