The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 09:37 PM   #26
Mike38

Quote:
Don't you think it would be more worthwhile to have a more fulfilling goal for your resolution than to shoot 350 rounds a day?
Exactly my thought.

Years back I took a United States Army Marksmanship Unit small arms pistol course. The main instructor was ranked High Master in Conventional Pistol. He gave four hours lecture, and four hours range. Early in his lecture he made a comment that made my jaw drop, but after he explained himself, it became perfectly clear. He said….

“Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.”

After I scraped my jaw up off the floor, he went on to say that if you can walk up to your firing point and put ten shots into the X-ring at 50 yards, you just executed perfect practice. Load up your gear and go back home. Ten consecutive shots in the X-ring then quitting is better practice then 100 shots sprayed all over the target.

If you can not put ten consecutive shots in the X-ring, you need to work on the basic fundamentals of pistol shooting. Those basic fundamentals can be perfected by dry firing.

I then understood what me meant.

I’ll let you know when I get those ten consecutive shots in the X-ring. Until then, I’ll keep dry firing and striving for “perfect practice”.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:48 PM   #27
Ronbert

I don't think I'd last a month at that rate before shooting became a huge chore.

In the 3rd year of doing RO duty the 150 rounds once a week felt like a burden.

Good luck to you!
Old December 9, 2012, 11:10 PM   #28
EdInk

Best of luck. I think you'll get burned out after a bit. Also, you need to figure in additional fuel cost and maintaince associated with going to the range. I do hope you succeed in your goal though.

Lastly, I think a WEEKLY update would be better than a DAILY update.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:19 PM   #29
3kgt2nv

Quote:
Years back I took a United States Army Marksmanship Unit small arms pistol course. The main instructor was ranked High Master in Conventional Pistol. He gave four hours lecture, and four hours range. Early in his lecture he made a comment that made my jaw drop, but after he explained himself, it became perfectly clear. He said….

“Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.”

After I scraped my jaw up off the floor, he went on to say that if you can walk up to your firing point and put ten shots into the X-ring at 50 yards, you just executed perfect practice. Load up your gear and go back home. Ten consecutive shots in the X-ring then quitting is better practice then 100 shots sprayed all over the target.

If you can not put ten consecutive shots in the X-ring, you need to work on the basic fundamentals of pistol shooting. Those basic fundamentals can be perfected by dry firing.

I then understood what me meant.

I’ll let you know when I get those ten consecutive shots in the X-ring. Until then, I’ll keep dry firing and striving for “perfect practice”.
this is very true. also constant practice teaches and forces bad habits to stick. since i have to relearn how to shoot basicilly I'm more in it for the therapy and rehabilitation aspect for now.

and with the spraying lead all over the target this is very true. but i also want to get back to cowboy action shooting, idpa and steel matches so i will need to practice several types of shooting both timed and slow fire.

Quote:
Best of luck. I think you'll get burned out after a bit. Also, you need to figure in additional fuel cost and maintaince associated with going to the range. I do hope you succeed in your goal though.

Lastly, I think a WEEKLY update would be better than a DAILY update.
true a weekly update might make more sense for me but the fuel isn't an issue since i live 3 miles from my job and the range is exactly in the middle of the two.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:59 AM   #30
Samuel2011

I'm with Ronbert.

Having run an indoor shooting range for a couple of years, I can agree that shooting 100-150 rounds can become a chore after a while.
Then again as a range master I was constantly shooting other peoples firearms either to test sights, function or reliability on a daily basis. By the end of the day the last thing I wanted to do was shoot my own gun.

So, having said that I hope you have a variety of firearms to shoot, cause shooting the same two or three irons gets old really quick if your doing it daily.

Good luck with your endeavor!
Old December 13, 2012, 01:13 PM   #31
qwiksdraw

This is a no lose resolution. Even if you don't make the goal, just think how much fun you are having!

Go for it, be safe and have fun!
Old December 13, 2012, 01:36 PM   #32
evilleprichaun

i dont see why everyone is hating on your plan so much,., especially after your explanation of why your doing it. if its what you like to do that much then why not do it., also i think it would be great to see the wear and tear over time. i for one would be interested in seeing how the guns hold up over this shooting period and seeing how grouping holds up, not sure why other people wouldnt be as interested or more supportive especially if your family doesnt mind you doing it

also you said your going to use multiple firearms how many guns is the 128k going to be split up over?
Old December 13, 2012, 04:10 PM   #33
3kgt2nv

Quote:
i dont see why everyone is hating on your plan so much,., especially after your explanation of why your doing it. if its what you like to do that much then why not do it., also i think it would be great to see the wear and tear over time. i for one would be interested in seeing how the guns hold up over this shooting period and seeing how grouping holds up, not sure why other people wouldnt be as interested or more supportive especially if your family doesnt mind you doing it

also you said your going to use multiple firearms how many guns is the 128k going to be split up over?
no idea i was going to keep a log. I mainly plan on using handguns since i belong to a pistol only range but i have 100+ rifles and 30+ handguns with 4 more joining the collection on christmas. I figure the most commonly shot will be a cz 75 a cz 97bd a hammerli p240 my christensen 1911 and to a lesser extent some others. for 22lr shooting i have a s&w model 41 and a clot woodsman match extra and some others like a mark 3 and a pre woodsman.

lots of choices and it i get bored ill get something new. or if i just want to burn thru the goal i can use the ar with the slide fire stock and just blaze thru 30 round mags.

i plan on every day being fun and enjoyable. and even if i skip a day due to range activity i can make it up fairly quick i think.
Old December 13, 2012, 10:06 PM   #34
jmfc606

Where in the Hudson Valley are you? I'm in Sullivan County, maybe we can do some shooting together?
Old December 14, 2012, 01:03 PM   #35
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
I seriously doubt if even top national competitors shoot quite that much - especially after they become that good.
Try and sell that one to Todd Jarrett.

“I had a gun in my hand for two hours every day for 10 years to develop my skill level. Now it’s not so much practice, but more of a maintenance thing. I wasted the first million rounds just learning how to shoot.”
Old December 14, 2012, 04:02 PM   #36
three-fifty-seven

Go for it man!

Ignore the haters in this thread; they wish they were you .
Old December 14, 2012, 05:02 PM   #37
Sparks1957

Quote:
Ignore the haters in this thread; they wish they were you
Speaking for myself, I am not a hater but still question the value of such an undertaking, and secondly, I do not wish I was the OP because I know loading/shooting 350 rounds a day (every day) would get old pretty quickly for me.

My hat's off to anyone who wants to try it, however.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:26 PM   #38
3kgt2nv

im up in dutchess county near dutchess county pistol association.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:39 PM   #39
Sgt127

Back when I was serious about shooting, I shot an IPSC match at least once a month. I practiced 2-3 times a week. I had a great old Star reloader set up. I Usually shot about 500 rounds of .45 a week in practice, another 100 or so at a match. And, honestly, that seemed like quite a bit of shooting.

Go have fun, but, stop before it becomes a chore and you burn yourself out!
Old December 16, 2012, 06:26 AM   #40
darkgael

Go for it.

My best wishes for your success. You seem to have thought this out carefully. My concern is about time. Personally, it would take me a while - some hours - to shoot 350 rounds in a session. In fact, that is well beyond any session round count that I have ever shot.....that is just me......ymmv and obviously will.
Do you have a or do you plan to set a goal for each session beyond just shooting 350 rounds a day. It would be interesting if you posted that along with any other news when you report back on this project.
When to start? I have shot at DCPA many times. Is that where you will being doing some of this?
My music teacher is fond of the expression: Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Seems like that idea gets around.
Pete
Ps - where are you getting primers for $25/1000?
Old December 16, 2012, 07:48 AM   #41
3kgt2nv

Quote:
My best wishes for your success. You seem to have thought this out carefully. My concern is about time. Personally, it would take me a while - some hours - to shoot 350 rounds in a session. In fact, that is well beyond any session round count that I have ever shot.....that is just me......ymmv and obviously will.
Do you have a or do you plan to set a goal for each session beyond just shooting 350 rounds a day. It would be interesting if you posted that along with any other news when you report back on this project.
When to start? I have shot at DCPA many times. Is that where you will being doing some of this?
My music teacher is fond of the expression: Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect. Seems like that idea gets around.
Pete
Ps - where are you getting primers for $25/1000?
obvious the goals are a little different for the different styles of shooting i will be doing. obviously accuracy all around. i need to relearn my shooting stance, how i draw from a holster since i can no longer use the full range of motion in my neck/back/shoulder as of right now. time on target and follow up shot speed. the first few weeks will mostly be me working on the arm/back strength to go shooting for a while so that i can work up my stamina for shooting in a match that might require some ready time and active shooting. I have started to try holding a gun loaded with solid lead filled brass to strengthen my arm up but the strength training im doing doesn't really translate to shooting stance steadiness and strength as much as actual practice will.

most of the shooting will be at dcpa. for the use of rifles i have access to alot of land but right now i am nervous about recoil and the effect it will have on my neck and back. so i will put off shooting those till later in the year.

as far as practice makes permanent i agree and i have often found that if i struggle on shooting it is better sometimes just going and shooting steel to relax and not try to focus so hard makes a world of difference. its this that drew me to shooting in the first place. no matter who you shoot with or against you always compete with yourself first.

for the primers i have had luck with powder valley at 25/box for the cci and also at cabela's at 24.99 per box for the cci primers. i usually clear the shelf at cabelas when im there but you have to add in tax but its usually a was with the gift card offers they send me all the time.

sometimes even midway has the military cci primers for 23-25 per box. usually its a matter of shopping around. I also have my lgs that doesn't do reloading supplies so i talked them into doing wholesale +$1 per box for primers but i have to usually order a good amount to make it worth while since they don't deal in them a lot so they don't get the best prices on them.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:45 AM   #42
9mmsnoopy

Can you introduce me to your sugardaddy or sugarmomma, whatever the case may be?
Bushmaster AR15
Old December 16, 2012, 02:03 PM   #43
3kgt2nv

I work for the county and don't make a ton of money. I wish i had a sugar mama. i have 2 kids and a house. I just budget for my hobbies and do things to save money. like not eat out everyday. even at 10 bucks for lunch that's like 3 boxes of ammo at retail that most people eat and never think about. I don't smoke or drink and my drive to work is less than 5 minutes so my gas use is almost non existent.

Heck i know people that spend my shooting budget every year on cigarettes or beer at a bar. Its all about priorities and self discipline on wasting the cash I make.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:08 PM   #44
stu925

350 rounds a day is a lot of ammo, I'd like to be able to afford 350 rounds a week. Good luck with your plan, I hope it works out for you. I think there's a valid point to the rehab qualities of your idea but I think you might be better off lowering the round count and shooting say every other day at least in the beginning. When I was doing Physical Therapy for the herniated disks in my neck I was going a couple times a week. Go for an hour then rest for a couple days then go for an hour. I suspect you'll need to rest a bit after shooting in the early stages of this plan. I also would like to see how the equipment holds up to that amount of shooting and think you should keep detailed records on all the guns used. This may prove invaluable later on.

Stu
Old December 19, 2012, 09:39 AM   #45
AndyWest

Wow

If you can create 45 for $2 a box, you should sell it for $10! That's one hell of a margin. $8 profit instead of shooting 7 boxes a day is 20 grand a year net. Well, packaging, shipping, etc would eat into that but you could use your shooting time to make even more instead. Not bad for a side job.

I don't know much about reloading but it sure does sound tempting if the cost is even close to what you describe
Old December 19, 2012, 01:22 PM   #46
9mm

Might want to rethink shooting all your ammo if they try to ban/limit ammo stuff.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:09 AM   #47
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Might want to rethink shooting all your ammo if they try to ban/limit ammo stuff.
Yeah...because what you want to do is jump to conclusions right now and start planning around an unknown...

I like your idea. I know guys that play golf every day as long as the weather permits. No one questions that as being a waste of time, an onerous undertakiing, etc. - it's just viewed as recreation and someone doing what they want to do with their time.

I'm really surprised at the negativity found in this thread. Obviously, you can do whatever you want with your time. You're not locked in to being required to do it. If you get bored, it's too expensive, there are armed guards at the range stopping you, the government raises the price of reloading components by 1,000% or whatever variable the nattering nabobs of negativity find wrong - you can always alter the plan.

I can tell you, that if I had a backyard range so I could shoot whenever I felt like it, I'd probably shoot at least 100 rounds a day just to relax after work.

Good for you...post a report every so often so that those of us that are interested and think it's a fun project can keep up with what you doing. ....
Old December 20, 2012, 07:12 AM   #48
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
If you can create 45 for $2 a box, you should sell it for $10! That's one hell of a margin. $8 profit instead of shooting 7 boxes a day is 20 grand a year net. Well, packaging, shipping, etc would eat into that but you could use your shooting time to make even more instead. Not bad for a side job.
Yeah...because dealing with the BATF as a manufacturer is so much fun. That certainly would take the reason for doing it and make it into work.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:35 AM   #49
AndyWest

Relax, buckhorn.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:00 PM   #50
3kgt2nv

Quote:
looked into it but unless you can produce huge amounts and get linked up with a major outlet for resale the money invested will be a wash to what you make.

insurance
rent(since you cannot operate a reloading business in a home)
fire suppression
etc
etc.

I found long ago that the fastest way to kill a hobby is do it as a job.