The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 11, 2000, 05:11 PM   #1
Chad Young

Ok, I admit it, I am hooked. Just shot my first competitive match. Me and two friends competed in a GSSF match in Jacksonville, FL.

What a blast! The event was well-structured and very challenging. I quickly discovered my shortcomings during rapid fire, though. I guess I need to practice more and compete more and get a better holster (smack, back to reality here!! sorry). Anyway, I do have a few questions to ask:

1. What are the differnces between IDPA and ISPC?
2. Are the other shooting foundations for other brands of guns; i.e., Ruger or H&K?

Old January 12, 2000, 04:25 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

The Glock people are smart. They are the only manufacturer or distributor that runs a match based solely on their guns. Forced me to buy a Glock 34 just to compete in the match. They give out free prize guns and other prizes. Now I own two Glocks (34 & 26). IPSC and IDPA, oh boy you can get a lot of posts on this subject alone. Both are good and have their own slant on things. IPSC is for competitive and you are allowed a lot of competitive type of equipment in both guns and equipment. There are some great shooters In both. IDPA tries to put more emphasis always on the tactical way to do things. IDPA stages based on real life scenarios, use of cover wherever possible and stock guns. Unlike IPSC, IDPA outlaws compensators, bull barrels, ported barrels, fast draw holsters and fast draw mag carriers. Interestingly enough IDPA was founded by IPSC shooters. IPSC is pure competition. And there is nothing wrong with that, its fun and challenging. IDPA is for tactical practice and to develop tactical habits.
Old January 14, 2000, 10:34 AM   #3
DCB

Chad,
Glad you had a good time at our club(GSSF), come on back we shoot alot around here. The 2nd Sat. is IPSC and the 4th. Sat. is Action Shooting. If you need more info let me know.
Action is more like IDPA.

ps..We had over 300 shooters for the Glock match.
pss...1911 has a match just for the 1911, Single Stack Classic.

------------------
DCB <><

[This message has been edited by DCB (edited January 14, 2000).]
Old January 19, 2000, 01:10 PM   #4
actionshooter

I must add to this that in IPSC,all of the race gear is not needed to compete. If you plan to shot in the limited class you are shooting against people with guns that have minor or no modifications. I shoot in the northwest section and there are a few shooters who do very well with thier stock guns. That is one of the problems with IPSC,new shooters get scared away by the hi-tech expense. Later actionshooter