The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 14, 2011, 09:54 AM   #1
darwins

Marlin 1894 trouble

I recently bought a used Marlin 1894C at a gun show chambered for .357 mag. I had a gunsmith who specialized in cowboy action rifles smooth up the action. I took it out to do some plinking for the first time on Saturday. I was shooting .38 spl cartridges, loading them singly by hand. After about a dozen rounds the gun locked up. As I inspected it I found that after the last round fired the bolt had been pushed back about a half inch. Doesn't the bolt have locking lugs? Sorry if I am using wrong terminology here, I'm more familiar with bolt-action rifles and those would be the correct terms there. Even so, there must be something that is supposed to be locking the bolt in place and whatever that is seems to have failed. Did the gunsmith mess up? Did a part fail? Any ideas?
Old March 14, 2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Foto Joe

Without pulling my screw driver out, I'm trying to review the bolt and internal parts in my head and I don't think that there is.

Unlike a pump shotgun, you can slide the bolt back with the hammer cocked on a '94 (sorry if that's a bad example, but was the first thing that came to mind). The leverage of the lever holds the bolt in place. There is a horseshoe shaped block below and to the rear of the bolt, but I think that is part of the cartridge feed mechanism.

Have you pulled the bolt and feed out of it yet?
Old March 14, 2011, 05:15 PM   #3
g.willikers

There are no locking lugs like are typically found on other centerfire rifle designs.
There's a locking piece, called the locking bolt, that rides up and down with the lever, behind the breech bolt, keeping it closed when the lever is closed, and allowing the breech bolt to come back to the rear when the lever is opened.
In addition, the front part of the lever, that brings the breech bolt forward and back, also assists in keeping it closed when the lever is closed.
Simple but effective.
Here's a nice picture of the gun and its parts:
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94P.html
Old March 14, 2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Recoiljunky

I also have 1894 in 44mag and yes g willikers is correct. And if you look up the full dissasembly for the 1895 I think it is"long action version" it's the same as the 1894. I don't know why noone made a disassembly vid for the 1894 but that's just the way it is. You can then dissasemble it to to see what broke.

Best of luck,
Steve
Old March 15, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5
darwins

I haven't had time to take anything apart and not sure if I should just yet. I think I want the guy to look at it who slicked it up first. Anyway, here are some pics of the action. You can see the lever is fully closed but the bolt is partially open.

Pics here
Old March 15, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6
Foto Joe

I'm no expert, but that don't look good.

The male end of the lever should be resting inside of the bolt in the fully closed position. The fact that the bolt is partially open leads "me" to believe that the end of the lever is not where it's supposed to be. Given my experience with a '94, I didn't think you could even get the thing back together if the lever wasn't in the right place, at least I never have been able to.

I would suggest running the bolt about half way back with the lever, then removing the screw in the lever. The lever should pull straight out and with the hammer back you can just push the bolt out the back. Be careful not to loose the ejector when you slide the bolt back. I've had to look for mine in the gravel more than once.
Old March 15, 2011, 01:49 PM   #7
darwins

Unfortunately, I can't work the lever at all. The entire action is locked up. I don't think I'm going to try to take it apart myself.
Old March 15, 2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Foto Joe

That's kind of what I thought you were going to say. My guess is that the end of the lever failed, allowing the bolt to recoil back. The fix should be relatively easy with a replacement lever I would think. The question is why??

If the block mentioned above failed to engage maybe too much pressure was exerted on the finger of that lever.

Once the GS gets her dis-assembled and diagnosed, post pics of the failure so the rest of us Marlin users can learn from what happened please.
Old March 15, 2011, 11:15 PM   #9
Jbar4Ranch

In your closeup picture, you can see the lever is broken.

SASS 47015
Old March 16, 2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

I had a similar experience.
My response is, it is a Marlin and you shouldn't expect anything different that what is happening.
Mine was 'repaired' by two local gunsmiths and back to the Marlin factory three times and none ever got the gun working.
Old March 16, 2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Hawg

I dunno, anybody can make a lemon. I've had a couple of them and other than a round jamming on the chamber mouth now and then had no problems. I'd say that was most likely caused from a bad action job.
Old March 16, 2011, 10:07 AM   #12
Foto Joe

I'm kind of surprised by the post regarding "What do you expect with a Marlin?" I've got a '94 in 44 Spl/Mag and it's one of my more trouble free guns. It doesn't like it when other shooters ham-hand it though. You have to know the feel of the gun when cycling it. I think that issue has as much to do with the ammunition (BP reloads), as it does the gun though.
Old March 16, 2011, 10:14 AM   #13
Jbar4Ranch

I've got four 1894's; a .38 spl CBC, two .357 C's, and a vintage .38-40 SRC. The CBC had a bad problem when I bought it and just arrived back from Remington repairs Monday with a new bolt & lever and I haven't got out to shoot it again yet. I've shot my other three extensively in the Cowboy Action game and never had trouble with any of them.

SASS 47015
Old March 17, 2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Noz

There is nothing wrong with the Marlins. The current world record for 10 rounds on target from a lever action rifle is from a Marlin.

Their sole problem is the "Dreaded Marlin Jam" that comes from a worn contact between the lever and the carrier. Easily fixable. Just don't ask Marlin to do it. They insist that there is no problem.

It looks to me like you have a broken lever. Again fixable.

I don't understand those that don't want to tear a gun down. I get a new gun and within 24 hours I'll have it all over the table. Just remember how you got it apart and put it back together in reverse order. Marlins are easy.
Old March 17, 2011, 11:07 AM   #15
Rifleman1776

Noz said: "Their sole problem is the "Dreaded Marlin Jam" that comes from a worn contact between the lever and the carrier. Easily fixable. Just don't ask Marlin to do it. They insist that there is no problem."

I reiterate: "It's a Marlin." In my experience and humble opinion, you really shouldn't expect one to work or Marlin to care. The action on mine (before and after five repairs) did not want to function and when shot would not find paper at 25 yards.
Old March 17, 2011, 11:47 AM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
I reiterate: "It's a Marlin." In my experience and humble opinion, you really shouldn't expect one to work or Marlin to care. The action on mine (before and after five repairs) did not want to function and when shot would not find paper at 25 yards.
Sounds like you got a lemon. Everybody lets a bad one through now and then. You can't judge all guns from the performance or lack of it from one. Dont think a Winchester 94 can't jam either. Let the cartridge stop wear down and you'll be unhinging the lever to clear it.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:32 PM   #17
cerberus65

Rifleman, I'm with Hawg, I think you got a lemon (which will sour darn near anyone). My 1894C in .357 Mag. is very accurate and works every time. And in several years of reading threads about them the only complaint I've heard is the infamous marlin jam.

I couldn't see the pics but trusting others' eyes... If you don't have the proper screwdrivers (so as not to bugger the screws) I'd recommend taking it to the fellow who slicked it up. He should have no trouble getting it apart and then getting it fixed up.

Quote:
I don't understand those that don't want to tear a gun down.
Not everyone is mechanically inclined (or has the proper tools). I personally love to take things apart to see how they work. But I have brothers that you wouldn't want near any mechanical device of any sort!
Old March 17, 2011, 04:42 PM   #18
g.willikers

Manufacturers seem to go through phases.
Sometimes they make first rate stuff and then they don't.
There's been lots of complaints about a couple of mainstay gun makers lately.
Names that have been usually associated with reliability and quality.
It would be nice if nothing nasty ever got out the door, but it depends on who is running th show.
My forty year old Marlin 94 runs like a train, almost nothing ever goes wrong.
Just an occasional jam if the loading gate sags inward and catches a round coming out of the mag tube, when the screw loosens up.
An easy fix.
Old March 17, 2011, 06:45 PM   #19
sewerman

purchased a 1894 c .357 two years ago.

was rough outa the box.

after a letter marlin said they would repair if i paid shipping.

they sent a box & after talking to several folks i decided to keep it in my care.

it has broken - in with use & eventually i'm sure will smooth out....thinking of using the toothpaste trick.

i have to admit it is one -ell of a tack driver even with home loads.

all in all this is one handy little rifle.......

S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old March 20, 2011, 05:06 PM   #20
darwins

With the help of instructions at this link http://marauder.homestead.com/files/marlin94.html I was able to take the gun apart. However, having done so I do not see anything screaming at me as a broken part. Do you guys see a part that is broken or could be the cause of why the lever fails to hold the bolt in place? I wanted to link to the photos on a web album but the album isn't available so I uploaded a couple of them instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3527.jpg (240.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3530.jpg (244.7 KB, 39 views)
Old March 20, 2011, 06:16 PM   #21
Jbar4Ranch

Yeah, the lever is STILL broken, just like in the photo I previously posted.

SASS 47015
Old March 20, 2011, 07:17 PM   #22
darwins

I must be blind! I couldn't see that and it is there plain as day. Thanks.
Old March 21, 2011, 12:46 PM   #23
NoSecondBest

When you were loading the gun single shot, did you drop the shell on the carrier and then close the lever or did you try to load it in the chamber and then close the bolt? If you're trying to load it directly into the chamber single shot you will jam it up every time.
Old March 21, 2011, 03:13 PM   #24
darwins

Mostly I just placed it in the opening and let the mechanism load the cartridge into the chamber. However, in this case, it jammed up after firing because the recoil pushed the bolt back a quarter inch or so. I couldn't even get it apart until I forced the bolt back into place.
Old March 21, 2011, 03:14 PM   #25
darwins

Oh, BTW, did you know the lever is a federally controlled part and requires an FFL to receive it? What a bunch of bunk!