The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1
joedjr

Casing Blew Apart (Help Please) Pictures

I reloaded some 40 S & W.. I am almost certain I didn't double charge the casing due to the casing being 2/3 full with a normal charge. Also I did not seat the bullet deeper than instructed. Can anyone give a good reason why the rim blew off this casing. I was shooting a Beretta 96FS which will need to go back to beretta because of the damage to the gun.

Powder is Unique 6.5grs, bullet is uni-cor 180 gr TMJ seated 1.124 with federal small pistol primer

I am using a single stage RCBS Rock Chuckar and RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure

Old May 14, 2009, 02:46 PM   #2
tom234

Same thing happened to me but with a Federal factory round. The cases were made in the mid 90's and were defective; apparently the cases weren't designed properly. I luckily didn't have any damage.

Last edited by tom234; May 14, 2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Kendo

I'm no pro but there will be some along here shortly. I dont think 6.5 grains will fill a .40 cal case 2/3rd of the way full. Thats just my sense of the matter. But like I say one of the pro's will be along shortly.Glad you're not hurt.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:43 PM   #4
tiberius10721

theres no way 6.5 grains would fill 2/3 of a 40 cal case!
Old May 14, 2009, 03:48 PM   #5
csmsss

Case head separation? Check. Light charge of superfast powder? Check. Double charge? You betcha.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:53 PM   #6
joedjr

I'm just estimating 2/3 capacity..sorry for the confusion.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:55 PM   #7
tiberius10721

hey joe you should have started out at no more than 5.8 grains of unique with a minimum oal of1.125 that would have kept your gun from blowing up!6.5 grains is the max!If u dont mind me asking what did u use for a reloading manual!I have an old lee manual and it says starting load 5.8 grains.
Old May 14, 2009, 03:57 PM   #8
joedjr

Speer # 14 and it has start charge 6.0 and max 6.7..
Old May 14, 2009, 04:09 PM   #9
FlyFish

I recognize the 2/3 full part isn't the crux of the issue here, but I had the technology (.40 cases, Unique powder, digital scale and digital camera), so I figured I'd go down to the reloading bench and get some data. Here's what 6.5 gr of Unique looks like in a .40 S&W case. I'd say about 2/3 full, maybe even a bit more, is about right.

Old May 14, 2009, 04:20 PM   #10
Don P

First statement I'll make is Unique powder DOES NOT METER ACCURATELY AT ALL. Did you weigh the load in question? I have found that every load using Unique MUST BE WEIGHED!!!!!. This is the main reason I have switched powder to Hodgdon's Titegroup and also using less powder. If you or anyone else is questioning my statement about Unique go to Lee's web site and there it is in print. I would venture to say that if the statement is/was untrue Alliant would be all over Lee like a cheap suit.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 14, 2009, 04:21 PM   #11
tiberius10721

you have to realize that your typical 40 cal load has a pressure of 33000 psi which doesnt give you much room to play around with when it comes to pressure!Thats why its considered to be a touchy round to reload compared to reloading 45 acp where your typical pressure is 15000 psi!so in other words you dont really have no room for error when it comes to reloading 40 cal.Ive only been reloading pistol ammo for about 5yrs so im not as experienced as a lot of these guys around here but if it had been me reloading this round I would have started with the minimum start load of 5.8 grains and I would have charged a bunch of cases and then wieghed the powder charge on each and every one of them to see how consistant my powder charges were.Once I made sure my powder charges were 5.8 grains then I would have started seating and crimping the bullets and checking the powder charge on every fifth or tenth round.
Old May 14, 2009, 04:27 PM   #12
tiberius10721

nice info Don ill make sure never to buy a bottle of unique!bullseye is my main pistol powder.I just bought some tight group cause I couldnt find anymore bullseye.I havent had a chance yet to use the tightgroup I purchased.with bullseye my loads are always within a tenth of a grain!
Old May 14, 2009, 04:33 PM   #13
azredhawk44

You have the perfect storm of:

1. Inconsistent powder (I'm also an ex-Unique shooter)
2. Bullet with little room for error (Dillon recommends against 180's in .40) and overpressures very easily
3. Probably had some bullet setback during feed with slightly more powder than is acceptable.

I find the data at Alliant's site to be deplorable, BTW.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...id=42&bdid=118

A COAL only to the hundredths position? No thousandths? I guess measuring powder only to the nearest grain is good enough, too.

This is an excellent learning opportunity for you to switch to either Accurate or Hodgdon/Winchester/IMR powders and their provided load data.

Take a look here:

http://data.hodgdon.com

See how much more information you get from them?

In the future, I'd recommend:
1. Stay at 165gr or lower for .40 loads
2. Stay away from Unique and switch to a ball powder for autopistol (AA#2, #5 or #7 work for .40)
3. Re-evaluate your crimp to avoid bullet setback during feeding and the resulting pressure spike as a result
Old May 14, 2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Don P

Read this
Not weighing EVERY CHARGE of UNIQUE will result in case's rupturing as the photos show. This straight off Lee's site

Perfect Powder Measure Consistency

Bumping against the stops when dumping and filling the metering chamber usually causes inconsistent loads with the Perfect Powder Measure. Be gentle at both ends of the stop when charging powder.

Also failure to condition the measure by running a pound of powder through the unit will cause inconsistent charges. You can speed the conditioning by dusting the metering surfaces with powdered graphite.

Lastly some powders do not meter well, Unique powder is one example that meters with "casual uniformity".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here to download the Lee Precision Tech Assistant in WinHelp4 format.
Netscape users hold down the SHIFT key while you click on the file name above.
IE users click the right mouse button on the file name, then select 'save target as'.

Please review the Lee Tech Assistant thoroughly before sending us an inquiry. If you still can't find the answer to your question, email us at [email protected].
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 14, 2009, 04:40 PM   #15
tiberius10721

That data is deplorable!yikes I wonder how many new reloaders have blown up their guns with that data!My lee manual says never exceed 6.5!my lee manual has starting load at 5.8 grains.I noticed that alliant site didnt even have information for a starting load!
Old May 14, 2009, 04:48 PM   #16
zxcvbob

Joe said he was using a Uniflow powder measure, not a Lee. I have no problems measuring Unique in my old C&H powder measure. I don't trust it in my progressive press tho' because I can't easily inspect every round, and the Hornady powder measure is good, but not as consistent as the C&H so I use ball powders (and tiny flakes like Bullseye and 2400) with it.

No-one has mentioned yet that the brass may have been worn out.
Old May 14, 2009, 04:53 PM   #17
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I only load Unique in .38 special and .357 mag and my 1970's era Uniflow hates the stuff. It literally jams up when charging. The milder the load, the worse the jam. Because I am shooting overbuilt Ruger revolvers, it's quick and I don't worry about the inconsistency (cheap plinking is what I am after). I load a little bit of .40 S&W and while I have never had any blow up with Unique, I will be a heck of a lot more careful in the future.
Old May 14, 2009, 05:06 PM   #18
D. Manley

Check any remaining loaded rounds by giving them the "push test" to see if they can be moved into the case furthur. With a hot load (or, even not) all it takes is a little bullet setback to rocket the pressures.
Old May 14, 2009, 05:14 PM   #19
dipper

It's not the powders fault, I have been using unique for at least 15 years with no trouble and it gives good accuracy in my .357 Magnums. I also weigh every load and have found it doesn't slow me up that much.

Bullet choice, powder measure and a near max load did the damage.

Joe, did you read in your manual about how to approach max loads??
Old May 14, 2009, 05:14 PM   #20
jepp2

Have you ever checked you digital scale with a set of check weights?
Old May 14, 2009, 05:21 PM   #21
impalacustom

Take a look at the primer, that baby is flat as a pancake and the top pic looks like a crater, not sure, a little blurry. Possible too much pressure.

Have you ever tried to anneal these cases? I know dumb question but I've seen people do it to pistol brass.

One other option is possible but doubtful is firing out of battery?
Old May 14, 2009, 05:21 PM   #22
joedjr

Quote (Joe, did you read in your manual about how to approach max loads??)Quote

I didn't think I was reaching max load on the powder. The Speer #14 manual says 6.0 to 6.7 and I loaded 6.5. I was not getting consistent measures so most were below 6.5 but above 6.3.. I listed on the post where I was on the high end which was the 6.5 I thought i was good to go..
Old May 14, 2009, 05:22 PM   #23
tiberius10721

after seeing those pictures I cant believe I used to use a lee dipper and a credit card to charge my 380 acp cases in the past back when I didnt have the correct powder disk!never had any problems though I must have been lucky!
Old May 14, 2009, 05:22 PM   #24
joedjr

Quote (Have you ever checked you digital scale with a set of check weights?) Quote

I don't have a digital I use the RCBS slide scale that came with the Rock Chuckar Press
Old May 14, 2009, 05:31 PM   #25
tiberius10721

i still think 5.8 grains would have been a good start load.