The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 5, 2001, 01:06 AM   #1
Cheezboy

Browning 1922 .32 auto

Hi,
I have a question regarding a 1922 Browning .32 that I am purchasing.As of the moment,due to high medical bills and expenses,this is all I can afford.My question is this:is this pistol ok for self defense carry?I plan on buying something better in the future,but this is all I have to work with at the moment.Where can I get a holster for this pistol(preferrably inside the pants)?Also,what kind of ammo would be recommended for it?I don't know what kind of pressures it can take,but I assume factory loads would be low enough that the pistol won't explode in my hand.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks
A.C. Swinburne
Old July 5, 2001, 12:07 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The 1922 is single action, with a striker driven firing pin. The safety is small and not very easy to manipulate, which is not in its favor as a carry gun. Other than that, it is as good as any other pistol in .32ACP, and better than many. Other than some wartime production, they were always made well and of good materials. If it is all you have or can afford, it beats throwing stones. You might want to try some of the newer expanding bullet ammo, but fire at least 200 rounds to make sure it functions properly in that gun; otherwise, stick to full jacket bullets, although I would test fire even those before carrying the gun. Any holster made for the Colt pocket model or a similar gun should work, if you can't find one listed for it.

Jim
Old July 5, 2001, 05:34 PM   #3
johnwill

I think there are a number of better choices in the same price range as the 1922. It's a rather large pistol for a .32ACP gun, have you considered something like the FEG HP clone, or perhaps a nice East German Makarov? Both guns would be a far better choice for carry, the FEG goes for $230-250, and I bought my two EG Mak's for $129/ea. I have a Nazi 1922 in my collection, but it's a pretty big gun!
Old July 7, 2001, 03:09 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

cb--

Yeah, buddy--You REALLY should buy a bigger, more powerful pistol for four times the money. But that's not your question, huh?

All that Jim Keenan said is true-- The striker-fired pistols are a little scary for loaded and locked carry. The striker spring CAN take a set if left compressed for long periods, and can let you down at a bad time. If it is in good shape, and you don't carry it constantly, it will probably serve. I carried the younger, bigger, brother, the 1926 model FN Browning for a couple of years, alternating between chamber empty and fully loaded, and never had any trouble. That was a lot of years ago.

This is one of the finest-made .32 pocket pistols, and the grip safety measurably adds to the safety, carrying fully loaded. Again, as Jim said, the thumb safety is a bit small, as are the sights. While it is accurate enough to hit a man at 50 yards, it requires careful aiming, and the tiny sights are very slow.

If I was in your situation, I think I'd test it carefully with FMJ and hollow point ammo, and then carry it with the chamber empty. Practice drawing and operating the slide, all in one motion. Forget stealth--If you MUST draw it, let everyone know you're ready to do battle! But have your mind made up that you WILL shoot if need be. Otherwise, leave it out of sight.

In doing this drill, grab the slide, pull it ALL THE WAY to the rear, and LET IT GO! This is a very reliable little pistol, when used as JMB designed it--Never "ride the slide," or try to ease it forward.

Better times are coming. Don't be discouraged that you can't afford a "more suitable" pistol. Many men--and women, too-- have done quite well when not as well armed.

Best of luck,
Johnny
Old July 7, 2001, 09:19 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Johnny and guys,

All true, except that I doubt a striker spring is any more liable to take a set over time than a hammer spring. Of more concern is that those strikers often break if dry fired and a spare one is always a good item to keep handy. (I think www.gunpartscorp.com has them.)

Johnwill, true, as to another, better, pistol, but that was not the question. I assumed from the question that the poster either had or had access to the Model 1922, not that he was asking advice on what to buy.

Jim
Old July 7, 2001, 09:43 PM   #6
johnwill

Well, he mentioned he "was buying", I just figured on another input point if he hadn't already purchased the 1922. There are so many better choices that are reasonably inexpensive, I don't see the practicality of the 1922 as a carry gun. Sure, any gun is better than no gun, but that's a damned big .32ACP gun!
Old July 8, 2001, 12:55 AM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

1922 and 1910 models

I have to admit error in my earlier response. I got the models mixed up--I was thinking of the 1910 model, which is really about the same size as a Walther PPK, with 7 + 1 capacity, 20.5 ounces empty.

The 1922 model is an inch longer, a good deal higher, holds 9 + 1. and weighs about 24.7 oz.. This is the one I mistakenly called the 1926, and which I carried for a couple of years. Johnwill, you're right, this IS a pretty large .32 auto pistol. It was a sort of expanded version of the 1910, for use as a military and police piece. It is still flat and easy to carry beneath a shirt or jacket. But, for pocket use, the 1910 model would be better, as would the Makarov.

Cheezboy, if you haven't already jpurchased the 1922 Browning .32, you might want to consider one of the smaller pistols, for the same money. If, however, you're getting a really good buy on the Browning, say, under $100, It should serve you well.

Whichever, best wishes--
Johnny
Old July 8, 2001, 12:25 PM   #8
johnwill

For reference, here's the 1910 from my collection.
Old July 8, 2001, 12:27 PM   #9
johnwill

And here's the 1922.
Old July 8, 2001, 05:04 PM   #10
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

NICE IMAGES--

--johnwill.

They show the detail of the two pistols very well--Similarities as well as differences.

For the benefit of those unfamiliar with one or both: The width of the stock panels is the same, though the height is different. And the distance from trigger face to rear of slide and rear of the grip safety is the same in each pistol.

Best,
Johnny
Old July 8, 2001, 10:59 PM   #11
johnwill

The 1922 is a Nazi 1944 gun, it's pretty roughly finished, as they were not taking too much care building anything in 1944.
Old July 12, 2001, 09:52 AM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, the 1922 is a modified 1910. Some customers wanted a larger gun, with a longer barrel and a bigger magazine, so FN simply replaced the barrel bushing with a longer one (though slightly different), extended the frame, and put in a longer barrel. A careful study of the two guns will provide a good example of how designers can turn out something "new" while making maximum use of existing tooling.

Jim
Old July 12, 2001, 04:58 PM   #13
johnwill

I have to say, the 1910 is a much nicer looking gun. The 1922 just doesn't look "balanced". Of course, mine being the 1944 Nazi manufactured one, it's also pretty rough. The original wooden grips have to be seen to be appreciated, they must have really been cranking these things out toward the end of the war!