The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 11:26 AM   #1
CommonSense

New shooter seeking advice on pistol selection...

I really want a .40 s&w however, am going to take my CPL course with the next pistol I purchase (and It will most likely be my EDC). I want to be able to shoot several hundred rounds through it in a course of a weekend/ week. I believe being more of a novice shooter when it comes to pistols, I would greatly appreciate feedback. I've been looking at the Ruger SR9 & 40Cs, the Sig P229 SAS genII, Glock 27, 23, and even the 32. I am becoming more open to different calibers as I continue my research and come closer to home (currently deployed to Afghanistan) I really want a 1911 .45ACP however, believe it will simply not be a good option for taking a class and putting so many rounds down range in such a short period of time...being that pistols and I are just getting aquainted. Ive even considered 9mm however, am not a big fan of the round. I'm open to suggestions as to reccomendations of pistols to look at and test drive for when I come home. These are what Ive naturally gravitated to thus far. (I got a feeling the Sig is going to be a bit on the large/ heavy side for EDC, but it is still an option I've been looking into.) I will rent these and additional reccomendations likely before my final purchase. Thanks for the feedback.

SIG P229 SAS Gen II
GLOCK 32,23,27
RUGER SR 9&40C
Old September 9, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
wbw

If you are going to be carrying this pistol, you might want to consider the Ruger SR9c instead of the SR9. It's a little smaller and comes with a 10 round mag and a 17 rounder. It's a very nice pistol for the money. Of course there are many good manufacturors and handguns available today.

Here's my SR9c with larger mag installed and smaller one. It will be my EDC if I live long enough for Maryland to become a 'shall issue' state.
Old September 9, 2012, 12:12 PM   #3
TheRaskalKing

While all the choices you mentioned are fine pistols, they seem a little bit scattered in size and features to me. Everything from a full sized, steel frame sig to a subcompact polymer glock 27...?

What features do you like in these guns? Do you like DA/SA like the sig? Do you like striker fired like the glock? Do you like something with a manual safety like the ruger has? Do you like the sig style decocker? Are you going to be ok carrying an all steel sig all day? Do you want to carry something full size, or something smaller?

Just some questions to consider. I would start more from what features you're looking for.
Old September 9, 2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Nathan

Wow! New to pistols, but not new to guns...

I like the 40 and agree whole heartedly you should get one. It gives up 2 thing to the 9, ammo cost $12 vs $19 per 50, and second shot speed due to recoil. I reload and my training has made speeds the same. 45 has the same issues, except Walmart now has Federal 100 pks for $30 per $100. So, I like 45 in larger frames and 40 in compacts.

IMO, I would really think about action preference. I STRONGLY prefer SA semi's and DA revolvers.

If you are thinking CCW as fast as possible, I like something like a S&W 65 3" and a matching OWB high ride pancake.

If you think you can get warmed up to a semi quick, a Glock 23 or Kahr P40 should be on your short list with a good IWB or OWB holster.

A 1911 for me is slow to warm up to, but CCW's superbly. The main hassle I have is there are a fair number which aren't perfect OOTB and even perfect ones need a good PM schedule for all springs. Which sort of means you need a rough round count. In the end, the 1911 is like an investment in training, PM, gunsmithing which pays huge dividends.
Old September 9, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Rmart30

Being a "novice to handguns" regardless of which brands model you go with I would say go with a 9mm just for the lower cost of ammo.
Cheaper ammo = more practice, more practice = better shooter.

I like my 45's but the 9's get way more range time just due to cost difference in ammo.
Old September 9, 2012, 01:36 PM   #6
GeeJ

Here are a couple of more points to consider:

Your body size:
Generally it's easier for larger individuals to conceal large frame handguns then it is for a person of smaller body sizes. A handgun printing through your clothes is something to be aware of.

The clothing you commonly wear:
The clothes you commonly wear plays a big role in concealed carrying. I personally like wear cargo shorts and t-shirts as my everyday attire so it is easier for me to conceal my carry. If you tend to dress more formal than that and more wear more tighter fitting kind of clothes, then a smaller thinner firearm might fit you best. Remember to factor in your body size with this as well.

Concealed carry testing rules:
In Texas, when you are testing for a CHL, if you test with a revolver you can *only* carry a revolver. If you test with a semi auto, you can carry that *and* a revolver. Be sure to research the rules and requirements for the actual concealed carry testing in your state. Wherever you take your class be sure to talk things over with the instructor before hand.

You might also want to put the Springfield XD line on your list. Many of the dedicated glock users will tell you that it's just a "cheap" knock off of the glock. The extreme majority of non bias shooters will tell you that the XDs are excellent firearms. Don't get me wrong I am a fan of Glock as well and would bet my life on them as much as I do the XD that I carry, but you would be remiss in not considering or at least reading reviews of the XDs. they are also polymer frame striker fire handguns but differ from Glocks in the ergonomics and physical feel in your hands. They are 100% as dependable and reliable as Glocks, so be sure to check them out. My XD40 sub-compact has never once malfunctioned after thousands of rounds; ranging from the cheapest crappiest range ammo to the higher quality self-defense rounds.

Ultimately, the right handgun is the one you feel most comfortable and natural using in an effective manner. if you are not comfortable and don't feel naturally fluid with the firearm of choice, then you then you won't be as affective as you could be. Even if it's the most highly regarded handgun in the world, if it simply doesn't work for you then it's the wrong choice. The best handgun for you is the one that just feels right.

I don't want to start a debate between Glock and XD, but I currently bet my life on the XD based off of my personal experiences. Both the Glock and XD are truly *superlative* starting points in my opinion.

Last edited by GeeJ; September 9, 2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:34 PM   #7
kchaneymb65

New shooter seeking advice on pistol selection...

CommonSense, I carry a Glock 23 Gen 4 for my EDC. I have fired many "range rounds" for target shooting. Never even one single FTE or FTF. This reliability of this pistol is incredible. I am not only a Glock fan. Have a few smaller pistols from different manufactures. I carried a Smith & Wesson Sigma 9mm for a while, but just didn't seem reliable and besides that, I really wanted the power of the .40. I use Hornady T.A.P. FPD for everyday carry, however, for range time, this firearm will shoot anything! I love the power of all .45acp pistols but felt much more comfortable with the Glock 23 for concealed carry. Good luck with your decision and take the time to try out different pistols at ranges that rent guns.
Glock 23 Gen 4, Sig Sauer P238 SAS, Ruger SR22 Pistol
Old September 10, 2012, 11:17 PM   #8
StrangeBird1911

I found that my small Kahr CW9 was a difficult pistol with which to build basic skills. I tried it in an action pistol class and was having a lot of trouble. I switched to a full size gun and skills development went much better. I suggest that you find a full size glock 9mm for skill building, then shift over to your concealable weapon.
Old September 10, 2012, 11:34 PM   #9
kinoons

Just my two cents, but my EDC is a walther PPS. My range/home defense pistol is a walther PPQ. I could carry my PPQ, but I am spoiled By my PPS.

In any case, it's damn hard to go wrong with a walther.
Old September 11, 2012, 01:07 PM   #10
JimDandy

I wouldn't worry about ammo costs, just about anything can have a 22LR conversion kit anymore. And Ive been stockpiling those 100 round Federal walmart specials too. If anything, worry about ammo availability- those value packs go quickly, and when I see them, I just buy them all whether I need them or not. 40 and 9mm are much easier to find-

And I'm starting to wonder how worthwhile it is. Sure the 100 round packs are worth it. Accurately, they're actually about 34 a pack, making them 17 a box... compared to 20-21ish at my LGS/Range. The 50 roud box of Federal is 18, almost 19. Making a trip to Walmart for them closer to a wash. Especially if I need to hit a couple to find enough boxes.

With that said I'm glad I have a 1911. 5" barrel for the sight picture, good frame, great aftermarket. You have to make your own choice, but I'd stick to either Glock or 1911, so you can get full size and compact versions in compatible magazines and chamberings, as well as having the aftermarket to tune it to your likes.