The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 12, 2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Blue

Just Learned a lesson - 45ACP Brass

Bought a bag of once fired 45 ACP brass - found 1 Speer 45 Auto casing with the "Small" primer pocket. If I hadn't cleaned well and checked each visually -could have ruined my day if I tried to force an LP into that "Small" hole.

Can a SP primer be used in the Speer 45 Auto brass? Or does it take something special. I don't think need to keep it around. Once warned and all that.

Haven't seen one of those before. Any advantages to the Speer with SP?
Old June 12, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Storm52

A few of the manufacturers are using small primers in their 'green ammo'. No heavy metals in the primers. I think Winchester has the WinClean using SP. I would check the balance of your cases. You can reload these, but of course not in the same reloading session. If you only have a handful of these, I would toss them in the scrap pile.
Old June 12, 2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Blue

Sp 45 acp

Just had 2. Will toss them.

Thanks for the good advise.

Have 218 ready to go for tomorrow.
Old June 12, 2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Randy 1911

I keep them and when I get enough of them for a session, I load them. I save them for when I am shooting in a place that I have a good chance of losing them, like in a "lost brass" match or a grassy field.
Old June 12, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
zxcvbob

Toss them into a seperate coffee can. When you get enough, they might come in handy some time when your press is already set up for small primers cuz you won't have to change that part over.

And if LP primed brass ever becomes obsolete, you have a head start.
Old June 13, 2009, 05:20 AM   #6
ragsxd

nt brasss. use sp primer.
Old June 13, 2009, 01:13 PM   #7
margiesex

brass

I found a few winchester 45's in a batch of fired brass my daughter brought back from the range. As I was cleaning, etc. (I go over each case at least 3 times in the loading process) I came upon some winny's that seemed not only to have a large pistol primer, but were "crimped" much like an NT round mentioned. However, there was no mention of NT on the case headstamp. And, apparently, some of the "excess" brass was forced out in the decapping process on some, not all, making them appear totally "normal" winny cases.

Now the entire batch is set aside and I will have to go over each one - not wanting to toss out good brass, I'll just have to be judicious about winny cases. And, if I find any problems what so ever - winny cases (all) go into the trash. Won't take a chance with my gun or my life, nor those next to me.

good luck.

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - because he's coming for both - and soon!

Margiesex
Old July 13, 2009, 03:03 AM   #8
thebear101

Small primer 45acp brass

Sell the small primer brass to me (45acp) or send me your address and I'll pay for the shipping if you just want to through them away, from Andy
Old July 13, 2009, 11:06 AM   #9
dsv424

Federal makes these "nt" cases also. I ran into a couple of them the last time I was reloading 45 ACP. Glad I didn't set off a primer trying to insert a LP in a SP pocket. At first I thought it was a crimped primer pocket and tried to ream it out when that didn't work I took a closer look and saw it was a SP pocket. Guess I'll save them in a separate bag and reload when I get enough.
Old July 13, 2009, 11:15 AM   #10
Master Blaster

The Speer case was .45 GAP??, .45 GAP uses a small pistol primer, and is 1/16" shorter than .45acp, could have also been a simunition training round but I doubt it.