The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2006, 11:47 PM   #1
Guntalk

S&W makes new Shotguns

Smith & Wesson has announced that it is making new shotguns. I have seen them, and they are impressive!

The internals on the double guns are just beautiful. The autos appear to use the best of several different models from other companies.

Made in Turkey in a new plant built entirely for these guns.

I'll shoot the guns next week and will have a report and photos on www.guntalk.com, and there will be a Smith rep on the radio show in about a week.

New guns are always fun!
Old November 17, 2006, 12:16 PM   #2
oletymer

If Smith and Wesson actually made a shotgun here in the US I might be interested. I am not interested in another line of mediorce Turkish made guns, there is too much floating around now.
Old November 18, 2006, 05:43 PM   #3
liliysdad

As for "mediocre" Turkish guns, I have been very satisfied with my Huglu made, CZ stamped 720M. Very good gun.
Old November 19, 2006, 08:30 AM   #4
K80Geoff

One of the potential problems with makers like S & W importing foreign made guns is the possibility that they will terminate their arrangement in the next few years and parts/service will become difficult.

I'm just sayin....
Old November 22, 2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Guntalk

I guess some folks are just hard of hearing.

Oh yeah. Shooters. <grin>

These are not guns being made by another company and rename for S&W. These are new guns, made in brand new factory. The factory was made for S&W and will build guns ONLY for S&W. These guns are made by S&W.

Anyway.

I shot them today. Very nice. Full report on www.guntalk.com in a couple of days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smith double 1 small.jpg (34.5 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg Smith double 2 small.jpg (35.4 KB, 168 views)
Old November 22, 2006, 04:54 PM   #6
RevolverLover

Quote:
These are not guns being made by another company and rename for S&W. These are new guns, made in brand new factory. The factory was made for S&W and will build guns ONLY for S&W. These guns are made by S&W.
Any idea of a price range? Will parts be widely available? My main concern will be price, parts/warranty service, and with the many shotguns from turkey always changing importers even though you say S&W has a factory in turkey.
Old November 23, 2006, 07:36 AM   #7
Guntalk

Price on the Grade 1 O/U and the S/S will be in the $2100 range.

The autoloader (think Beretta 304) will probably come in at less than $800 -- maybe considerably less.

As for "importing," maybe it helps to remember that S&W built this plant. They are not importing someone else's product. They are simply shipping a product THEY built in a different location.
Old November 23, 2006, 10:42 AM   #8
oletymer

A group of Turkish business men built the plant under an agreement with Smith and Wesson to build their shotguns. Smith and Wesson did not invest a dime build the plant. The people making the guns are not Smith and Wesson employees. So in short they are imports made by soneone else. Smith and Wesson did design work on them and thats all.
Old November 23, 2006, 12:41 PM   #9
RevolverLover

Quote:
Price on the Grade 1 O/U and the S/S will be in the $2100 range.

The autoloader (think Beretta 304) will probably come in at less than $800 -- maybe considerably less.
Why so expensive? just being it has S&W name on it? Everyone else who imports turkish shotguns are way less expensive.
Old November 24, 2006, 03:23 PM   #10
Guntalk

Those prices are low for the quality I saw. You'll have to look at them yourself.

Also, these are MSRP. Street prices will be less.

How much do you think a nice side-by-side double gun should cost?
Old November 24, 2006, 03:48 PM   #11
Pucker

So is it going to say Springfield, MA or Istanbul? And I don't care who made the plant and who it's staffed by, it's going to be a turkish gun made by turks. They may be the greatest turkish scattergun builders the world over but it won't be a good ole American S&W...

Mmm, oursourcing. Nothing says lovin like cheap labor...Maybe they should have been making them in Mexico, so it'll take less time when they break and need to be shipped back?
Old November 24, 2006, 04:43 PM   #12
johnbt

"...good ole American S&W..."

Aren't you conveniently ignoring that good ol' S&W was owned from 1987 to 2001 by Tomkins PLC, a British company?

I say bring 'em on and let's see what they look like. (And lose that high rib on the SxS.)

John
Old November 25, 2006, 12:47 PM   #13
RevolverLover

Quote:
Those prices are low for the quality I saw. You'll have to look at them yourself.

Also, these are MSRP. Street prices will be less.

How much do you think a nice side-by-side double gun should cost?
I know those are MSRP prices. CZ also imports turkish SXS's for a MSRP of $695 for the base model and $912 for the fancier model. Those prices seem more reasonable. Too me, it seems like with a MSRP price like that for those S&W's shotguns is just because of their name stamped on them.
Old November 25, 2006, 02:50 PM   #14
Wildalaska

i forsee these shotguns being discontinued before too long...too high a price point for Turkey

WildimhoasaretailerAlaska
Old November 25, 2006, 04:11 PM   #15
45reloader

Ruger is the only gun maker left of the big 4 that are still all made in America.

Win, Rem and S&W all import guns under their names
Old November 26, 2006, 05:45 AM   #16
Little Wolf

Will Smith and Wesson make pumps/tactical shotguns aswell?
Old November 26, 2006, 11:34 AM   #17
Guntalk

Review and photos of S&W Shotguns

I just posted a short review and photos of the S&W Shotguns on www.guntalk.com. I also put some photos of new (not yet announced) handguns.

Those who have declared these new guns to be junk, without ever seeing, handling, or shooting them, might want to look at the photos.
Old November 26, 2006, 11:48 AM   #18
timothy75

I was thinking since their trying to recoup the LE sector with the MP line up they would have brought back the wonderfull model 1300 to cover all bases. Wouldnt that be a good idea? Tom are they offering a cowboy model of the Turkish with exposed hammers?
Old November 26, 2006, 12:07 PM   #19
Guntalk

I don't know about other models they may be considering.

But, I will say that I think S&W is really set up well these days to introduce and produce new guns. Most of the top management "gets it," and they are listening.

I threw a few "wish list" dream ideas at them, and they were polite enough to not throw me out of the office.

I'm sure they have other interesting things lined up that they are not telling us about.

But . . . . why don't you call the radio show today between 2:00 and 3:00pm Eastern time (1-866-825-5486) and ask Paul Puff, of S&W. He'll be the guest then.
Old November 26, 2006, 12:49 PM   #20
rem33

With the alienation S&W has done to American shooters the last few years I would think they would at least introduce an American made gun.

Building a manufacturing plant in another country to make products to sell here.
Is this a good way to improve public relations?

Then again MY Dad has a S&W 12 gauge pump that has been just fine, for over 20 years now.

Quality, price, and good marketing, something new and improved? Time will tell if they are a winner or go by the wayside.
Old November 26, 2006, 01:54 PM   #21
Guntalk

>Then again MY Dad has a S&W 12 gauge pump that has been just fine, for over 20 years now.<<

Of course, THAT gun was not made in the U.S., either. <grin>
Old November 26, 2006, 05:43 PM   #22
rem33

Japan, closeout, $150 new.
He was needing a shotgun.
Price, quality etc.
Old November 28, 2006, 07:59 PM   #23
bergie

So, $2100 for a fixed choke, single non-selective trigger (with a bad pull)??? [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]???
Think I'll go find old Stevens or 7, maybe a few Lefevers, or an Elsie.

Seriously, what does this have that makes it worth twice what a CZ Ringneck or Bobwhite costs?

bergie
Old November 28, 2006, 08:05 PM   #24
Northern Sod Breaker

Do we realy need another mid level gun? The way I see it the rich will not be satisfied with a gun costing "only" $2K and the poor won't be able to afford it. The success of the Rem 870 and the Mossy 500 shows where the money is.
Old November 28, 2006, 08:07 PM   #25
RevolverLover

Quote:
Seriously, what does this have that makes it worth twice what a CZ Ringneck or Bobwhite costs?
The S&W stamped on the barrel. Is it worth twice of what a CZ Ringneck or Bobwhite costs? Thats up to whoever buys it.