The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 14, 2016, 10:19 AM   #1
Oldjarhead

Crossbreed holster for a 1911?

I was researching Crossbreed holsters for a 1911 pistol. Looks like it will work fine, however I am concerned about one thing. I carry my 1911 locked and cocked. It looks like in the Crossbreed, the thumb safety is simply resting against the leather in a right hand draw. I am concerned about the thumb safety getting disengaged when moving around, sitting down, getting out of the car, etc. To those people who carry a 1911 in a Crossbreed holster everyday, has this been an issue for you? Thanks.
Old July 14, 2016, 11:16 AM   #2
zoomie

Quote:
To those people who carry a 1911 in a Crossbreed holster everyday, has this been an issue for you? Thanks
No. If it worries you, carry cocked, locked, and chamber empty for a few days. Unless your pistol's safety is malfunctioning, it'll never move.
Old July 14, 2016, 08:24 PM   #3
Madball6

I carry a 1911 in a crossbreed supertuck as my usual EDC, after 2 years, never had the safety disengage. perfectly safe. although during break in, I did have it press my mag release a few times in the first couple weeks, but hasn't been a problem since. Also as a sidenote I use the horsehide, not the cow leather so it's a bit stiffer.

YMMV

-madball
Old July 15, 2016, 12:00 AM   #4
ms6852

I own several Crossbreed and my ccw is a 1911. I carry it Condition One without any problems for several years.
Old July 15, 2016, 12:23 AM   #5
Coloradohtr

I don't use a Crossbreed IWB holster but I do carry a 1911 Commander cocked and locked everyday in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck IWB and have never had any issues with the thumb safety being disengaged during normal eveyday movements.

What I like about Alien Gear is that they offer free shell replacements if you purchase a new pistol to carry. Simply contact them and send them your old shell and they will send you a new one for your new pistol free of charge. Or you can just order a new shell for like 12 bucks and keep your old one. Their customer service is great.

The Crossbreed does come with steel belt clips as the Alien Gear comes with plastic but for an additional 8 bucks you can get the steel ones. I ordered them and like them much better than the plastic ones.

Either way, if you go with a Crossbreed or an Alien Gear IWB you won't be disappointed and you won't have a problem.