The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2008, 08:03 AM   #1
rocinante

JW-2000 Coach Gun opinions

I just bought a JW-2000 side by side 12 gauge coach gun. It is marked CAI Georgia, VT but I know it is made in China but not the exact manufacturer. The site I bought it for said Norinco but I am learning that is getting to be a generic term for any firearm coming out of China and not necessarily the maker. I am getting involved in cowboy action shooting and the shotgun is the least exciting part of it for me. So I am admitting I went as cheap as I could go.

Does anybody know the old west model make and number this shotgun is imitating?

First impression is the fit and finish is a lot better than I expected for a $200 gun. The wood appears to be walnut, the checkering is pretty, the metal appears to be blue. Very heavy and not uber cheap looking.

Everything is stiff. The hammers, the action, the release lever, etc. Any tips on smoothing it out?

Can someone explain to me how the hammer firing mechanism works? The left hammer cocks back farther than the right and has two click positions. Neither hammer seems to actually strike the external firing pin but the firing pin does move forward.
Old February 10, 2008, 09:23 PM   #2
rocinante

Okay since I am the only one in the world that has ever owned and now has fired this brand of shotgun I will for archaeological reasons give a little review. I managed to open it, insert two shells, close it, cock two hammers, pull two triggers, heard two bangs, repeated multiple times. I did have to tighten screws up on it and I did not like that the extractor doesn't have a spring on it but other than that it worked. That will do pig.

On the previous complaint about two stops on the left hammer tightening up the screws on that side took care of that.
Old June 17, 2010, 02:00 PM   #3
deepvalley

Location: I live in a small community where God and family come first followed quickly by farming and hunting. It is located in the heart of the western NC Blue Ridge Mountains. May God bless Barnardsville, NC.
My experience

I have owned two of these cheap well built shotguns. They work very well after you break them in, but until then they will be stiff. One thing you can do to quicken the breakin time is to clean everything that moves and file down the rough edges! This will of course require touch up bluing. These guns are made in China for Century Arms but that does not mean that they are poorly assembled, they are solid guns... Century does have a web site if anyone is interested it is www.centuryarms.com and be forewarned that it is a bear to navigate around in!

Last edited by deepvalley; June 17, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old June 17, 2010, 02:46 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
Everything is stiff. The hammers, the action, the release lever, etc. Any tips on smoothing it out?
Shooting it....a lot...........will help, assuming it survives the break-in period