The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 28, 2014, 09:28 AM   #76
mete

The old powder metal system is an interesting example. If we compare the part to wrought [ 100 % density ] ,they can be made from about 40 % for fluid filters, to pre lubed friction bearings , to mechanical parts to special very close to 100 % for high strength parts requiring a double compression and sintering .This was something Remington specialized in. Various alloys , case hardening etc.
Old November 28, 2014, 01:22 PM   #77
James K
Member In Memoriam

Don't worry. Some folks have come up with a way to end the problems with MIM use in firearms - ban and destroy all privately owned firearms. Then the government will make good guns for its police and military. So let's hear it for Bloomberg, Soros, Schumer, Feinstein, et al., who will save us from MIM.

Jim
Old November 28, 2014, 01:52 PM   #78
Evil Monkey

Quote:
Don't worry. Some folks have come up with a way to end the problems with MIM use in firearms - ban and destroy all privately owned firearms. Then the government will make good guns for its police and military. So let's hear it for Bloomberg, Soros, Schumer, Feinstein, et al., who will save us from MIM.
dude really?
BREAKING NEWS: Local man found in the street yelling "1911" and "45" while drooling, more at 11:00.
Old November 30, 2014, 11:31 PM   #79
Rangerrich99

Short story about why I'm not a fan of MIM parts.

I picked up a S&W 1911 SC and 3 yrs. ago, in spite of the fact that I knew it had MIM parts in it. I liked the weight of the gun and the one I'd shot prior was very accurate. Well, right around 250 rounds, the slide stop snapped completely in half while I was at the range. Found both parts and sent the gun and the failed SS in on S&W's dime, and they got it back to me in about three weeks. About two months later I was at the range again, with about 500 more rounds through the gun, when the slide stop failed again. I should've taken some pics, to show the bubbles I found in the piece of the slide stop that I eventually found.

Decided I'd had enough of that, and bought an aftermarket machined slide stop. Approaching 2000 more rounds, slide stop still in one piece.

Now, I'm fully aware that this is not enough data for any kind of analysis, and it's highly likely that that vast majority of the MIM slide stops in S&W 1911s are working just fine. All I'm saying is mine didn't, TWICE. And in a SDG I found that completely unacceptable. I'm in the process of replacing several other MIM parts in that gun with machined parts, even though none of them have failed.

Now, I don't want anyone to get the idea that I don't like this gun, or the other S&W handguns that I've owned, now or in the past. That 1911 is my most accurate handgun, is lighter than any other 4-inch 1911 I've handled, with less recoil than most 5 inchers in my friends' collections. I really like that gun. But if I'd known I'd be replacing half a dozen parts in the gun three year later, would I still have bought it? Maybe. Or maybe I'd have saved a bit more money and gotten a Les Baer instead.

Peace.