The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1
.300 Weatherby Mag

Why are shotguns getting harder to clean??

Quote:
Why are shotguns getting harder to clean??

I ask myself this question each time I clean one of my shotguns... Is the powder getting dirtier?? Are the companies watering down the solvents?? When I shoot one of my shotguns without a chrome lined bore it seems to take forever to get the bores to clean up... Ten years ago everything seemed to clean up quicker.... I've given up on the 100 round "value packs" as they are more trouble than their worth especially if shooting a gas auto loader...

Last edited by .300 Weatherby Mag; January 30, 2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

There is a video from Midway that shows the way to clean a barrel.

Larry Potterfield show scrubbing with a stainless scrubby very much like a pot scrubber.

And for powder solvent use Ed's Red
Old January 30, 2012, 08:37 AM   #3
johnbt

Two words:

plastic
wads

Other than that, I just don't know. Powder seems to be getting dirtier in a lot of ammo, but I'm not putting stainless brushes in any gun I own.
Old January 30, 2012, 09:59 AM   #4
larzb93

i feel the same way.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:09 AM   #5
WV_gunner

I put a brush through it, patch with solvent, patch with oil, and a dry patch. Works with all of my guns. Always gets them cleaned easily.
Old January 30, 2012, 10:10 AM   #6
oneounceload

300-
Spray some non chlorinated brake cleaner down your bore, then run a patch or two on a rod chucked in a cordless drill. Barrels are cleanin about 45 seconds.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:10 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

I am using Promo, which is dirtier than some powders, and I had a heck of a problem getting my forcing cones clean. Oneounce's wire brush wrapped with a patch and mounted on a cordless drill did the trick. I later found that it wasn't necessary as long as I didn't wait too long after shooting before running a patch thoroughly soaked in Hoppes down the barrels. I let work for a couple of hours and things cleaned up beautifully without resorting to the drill. Occasionally I also run a tornado brush down it to scrape up any plastic fowling.
Old January 30, 2012, 08:22 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

Jaguar...You mean this Potterfield video? http://www.enough.com/viewvid.cfm?id=92TioSkntK8
Old January 30, 2012, 08:26 PM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
Larry Potterfield show scrubbing with a stainless scrubby very much like a pot scrubber.
My owner's manual specifically recommends against using steel scrubbers. Since I switched to fuzzy sticks in the mid 80s, I've use bronze brushes only on rare occasions.

Back to the OP's question: I've noticed that barrels with ports will be harder to clean than standard barrels -- the ports get junked-up with plastic. But, that goes back a lot farther than the last 10-years. Also, the better the barrel's polish, the easier it seems to clean. Just because a barrel is chromed lined, it doesn't follow that it will be easier to clean -- you can have smooth high-grade standard barrel that's easier to clean than a rough barrel that was chromed. And, a barrel that rings may be easier to clean, too.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:57 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

Cleaning out a relatives house...
Some of the chemicals people kept laying around back in the day are impressive.
Old January 31, 2012, 02:40 AM   #11
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Back to the OP's question: I've noticed that barrels with ports will be harder to clean than standard barrels -- the ports get junked-up with plastic. But, that goes back a lot farther than the last 10-years. Also, the better the barrel's polish, the easier it seems to clean. Just because a barrel is chromed lined, it doesn't follow that it will be easier to clean -- you can have smooth high-grade standard barrel that's easier to clean than a rough barrel that was chromed. And, a barrel that rings may be easier to clean, too.
No ported barrels... I do notice that my Berettas all clean up quicker than most of my other guns... My Mossberg 500 picks up so much plastic after one range outing, its absolutely disturbing.. I won't get anything stainless near the expensive guns...
Old January 31, 2012, 06:06 AM   #12
zippy13

300-
You don't think Beretta spends a little more time on their barrels than Mossberg, do you?
Old January 31, 2012, 08:50 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

I would think that the Beretta barrels are much better in material quality and manufacturing operations than The Mossberg stuff.

Beretta on used market is $300 to $400.

Mossberg on used market $85 to $140.
Old January 31, 2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Poodleshooter

?
Smoothbore shotguns shooting smokeless loads must be the easiest weapon to clean that I know of. A pass or two with a boresnake or Tico tool and it's done, with almost no residue left. Even if some is left, who cares? You don't have 1 tiny super compressed projectile that must go to the same place every time as the rifle or pistol shooter has, you have a very forgiving shotgun,with many,many pellets, insulated from nearly every side by wadding, from the tiny amount of fouling that could actually stick in a smooth barrel. I can't imagine how filthy a barrel would have to get to start to blow patterns enough that I'd even notice.
For pumps at least,the actions are big and open so an enormous amount of residue and debris has to to build up before you get function issues.

Now, if we're talking slugs in a rifled barrel, that's a different matter. They're a pain. But shot loads are easy to clean up after, and tiny flakes of powder residue from low pressure shotgun loads are a breeze.
Old January 31, 2012, 04:38 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Both my O/Us, a Beretta 686 and an Ithaca/SKB 600, have barrels sets that clean up very easily.

That's what full length hard chroming does.

I note the bore on this A400 cleans up better than its gas system, chrome again.

I also note from one 870 barrel that 10 reloads using Unique powder leave more slag behind than 50 rounds using Clays.

Primers with higher Brisance are reputed to burn cleaner and leave less stuff, but I've not tested the theory.
Old January 31, 2012, 06:26 PM   #16
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
300-
You don't think Beretta spends a little more time on their barrels than Mossberg, do you?

Just using examples on different sides of the quality spectrum.... I think my 500 barrel was made on a Monday morning...
Old January 31, 2012, 06:33 PM   #17
jaguarxk120

Right after the Super Bowl game and party
Old January 31, 2012, 06:42 PM   #18
TheGoldenState

I use bore brushes on every barrel hangun, rifle, shotgun.

I thought that was the only proper way, how else do you guys get it all scrubbed clean?
Old January 31, 2012, 09:14 PM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
I use bore brushes on every barrel hangun, rifle, shotgun.

I thought that was the only proper way, how else do you guys get it all scrubbed clean?
See my post above about brake cleaner for barrels and choke tubes
Old February 3, 2012, 12:00 AM   #20
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
Smoothbore shotguns shooting smokeless loads must be the easiest weapon to clean that I know of.
Old timey black powder residue is actually easier to clean, it literally rinses off with water.
However, with smokeless, cleaning is optional. You won't ruin the bore by leaving it uncleaned.