The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 4, 2014, 01:04 AM   #1
mmb713

Ruger SRH 454 7.5" dropped?

I just checked Ruger's website and this revolver is no longer cataloged. It was on my short list for a DA 45 and now it's dropped. Looks like I'm going to have to buy used or get a Taurus. If I have to go the used route I might as well do a hard target search for a 7.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt, which would really be my first choice. Ruger needs to get their new plant in the Carolinas up and running and bring back some of their discontinued guns!
Old February 4, 2014, 05:12 PM   #2
feets

Not dropped. The only list the revolvers currently in production. Since guns are made in batches the models roll in and out all the time.
Old February 11, 2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Is that why all the Redhawk models are presently not listed?
Old February 11, 2014, 08:43 PM   #4
feets

Yep.

The Redhawk is slated to enter production this month at their new plant in SC.

That reminds me. I need to call and see if they can knock out another 7.5" 45 Colt RH to replace mine.
Old February 11, 2014, 09:37 PM   #5
mmb713

Quote:
Yep.

The Redhawk is slated to enter production this month at their new plant in SC.

That reminds me. I need to call and see if they can knock out another 7.5" 45 Colt RH to replace mine.
They can knock out a new 7.5" 45 Colt RH for me too please!
Old February 12, 2014, 01:34 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

A .45 Colt RH would be an interesting proposition for me too.

I hear good things about the .45 round particularly that, from the right platform (A RH in this case) it can achieve ".44Mag and beyond" performance whilst also being tunable to light loads. Sounds very versatile.
Old February 12, 2014, 09:17 AM   #7
feets

My RH has a bit of an issue with the frame. The hammer pin hole is not round. That allows the hammer to lean to the left when it falls. The gun goes BANG every time but it drags the hammer on the frame.

My gun was built in late 2012 so it must have been a distributor special kind of thing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redhawk and Super 2.jpg (200.2 KB, 14 views)
Old February 12, 2014, 08:19 PM   #8
mmb713

I just checked Ruger's website and they are again cataloging the SRH in 454 with 7.5" barrel, although now it is listed before the 44 Mags and is tagged as NEW. Another example that there is never anything really new under the sun. The Redhawk is still not catalogued though

http://www.ruger.com/products/superR...rd/models.html
Old February 12, 2014, 08:45 PM   #9
RalphS

feets -

you can fix (or try to fix) the problem with your RH hammer dragging on the frame with shims.

Go to triggershims.com and get some Redhawk shims for both the hammer and trigger pins.

I've put these on my redhawks and my GP-100 and I really like them.

You do need some mechanical aptitude to install these. If you're comfortable dropping the hammer and trigger assembly out, it's easy to do. Or just let your gunsmith do it.
Old February 12, 2014, 11:17 PM   #10
feets

Ralph, I have trigger shims. Those will not fix this problem.

The hole for the pin is not round. The pin gets pushed down by the force of the hammer spring. This pulls the hammer out of alignment. Take a look at the pic.

There are a couple other things that keep the gun from being perfect so to speak. Ruger just opened a new assembly line in a new state. I'd like to see if they have the 45 Colt chambers the correct size these days. My SRH in 454 is great but the RH is tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redhawk pin 3.jpg (183.0 KB, 27 views)
Old February 13, 2014, 09:42 AM   #11
RalphS

I see it now. Thanks for the picture. My 45 Redhawk has some "tooling marks" around that hole from sloppy machining or a dull drill but the hole is round.

I also had to send my cylinder out for reaming.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:37 PM   #12
feets

If the replacement needs attention I'll do it myself. That out of round hole is the only reason I haven't put any real effort into this gun.

I worked over the Super Redhawk. It's single action is on par with my heavily worked S&W 25-2. I'd like to see what I can do with the Redhawk platform but it's not worth the trouble if the gun is going to be exchanged on Ruger's dime.

BTW... I called again today and the Redhawk is not on the production schedule yet. It's very rare for their customer service folks to know what the production forecast looks like so I'll call again in a couple weeks.
Old February 13, 2014, 09:58 PM   #13
mmb713

Keep us updated on what you find out, feets. I'd love to see the 7.5" 45 Colt Redhawk back in production.