The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 24, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

H&K P7M13 9mm Review (Oh yeah, it's tactical stapler time!)

The H&K P7M13 (and all P7 variants) is a very interesting gun. I've had mine for a while and every time it makes an appearance at the range it always seems to draw a crowd. Here's a summary of my impressions of the gun:

Pros:
-Extremely reliable. This gun has never had a single malfunction in my hands
-Excellent trigger
-I'm a fan of the mag ambi mag release
-Very sleek lines and it's pretty slim overall for a 13+1 gun
-I have large hands and like how the gun feels in the hand but those with smaller hands may be better off going with the P7M8
-Very low bore axis combined with the piston system (more on this in the video below) make for a very, very light recoil impulse.
-Easy and fast reloads can be accomplished with the use of the squeeze cocker
-No magazine safety
-Excellent accuracy from the fixed, cold hammer forged barrel
-Fluted chamber for increased reliability under adverse conditions
-Top of the slide is milled to reduce glare

Cons:
-Cost. They're expensive and no longer in production. Mags aren't cheap either. The prices on gunbroker seem to be all over the place but they pretty much start at $1300 and go up a good bit for a good condition or rare model
-It gets hot after a few magazines of rapid shooting
-Cleaning the gas system is somewhat annoying but it's not a deal breaker in my opinion

All in all it's an excellent firearm as you'd expect from H&K. In the review below I do some shooting, explain/demonstrate the unique features of the gun, and go over the pros/cons of it overall:

Heckler & Koch P7M13 HD Video Review Link
Old August 24, 2013, 05:46 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

They are interesting guns but take some getting used to. My main complaint is that the gun must be gripped hard at all times. Normally, once the gun is cocked, it can be fired with a relatively light trigger pull, sort of like the change from DA to SA in a conventional DA/SA auto pistol. But if, partway through a magazine, the shooter relaxes his hand, the gun then reverts back to the squeeze cocker mode and has to be recocked. It is as if that DA/SA pistol suddenly went from SA firing to DA in the middle of a string. That, to me, is disconcerting and IMHO a major point against the gun.

The fluted chamber, needed to keep the extractor from tearing the rim off the case; the hot piston area; and the need to clean the gas system are, again IMHO, not important problems.

That pistol, IIRC, came out of a request for proposal from one of the German states for a 9mm pistol with a fixed barrel (i.e., not a locked breech). The Steyr GP was another gun from that competition.

Jim
Old August 24, 2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

And people complain about the XD grip safety.....
Old August 24, 2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Herr Walther

The request came from Bayern after the München killing of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old August 24, 2013, 07:56 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
And people complain about the XD grip safety.....
So you must not have one I take??

I have the regular P7 PSP. Yes it gets warm if fired a lot rapidly, but except for some competition, who really does that?

Accurate? SCARY accurate and designed to be able to fire without an extractor. Once squeezed, it takes very little pressure to keep the squeeze cocker ready to fire

My version is readily available for about 800, but mags are harder to find, so the M8 version would be better.

Best 9mm I own, and one of the most accurate (along with the SIG P210)
Old August 24, 2013, 08:06 PM   #6
CUBAN REDNECK

Great shooter and extremely accurate. I had the pleasure of shooting one about two years ago, a friend loaned me his pistol. Truly designed ahead of its time and over engineered by the Germans.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Pilot

I have a P7M8, and a surplus BMI P7. Both, are very accurate, reliable, and concealable. The P7 is in my carry rotation. I find the pistol can be held with a relaxed grip, while still keeping the gun cocked, and ready to fire. The squeeze cocker is designed that once it is cocked, less pressure can be used to keep it cocked. In my experience, it does not require more pressure than other guns to hold, and fire.
Old August 25, 2013, 08:49 AM   #8
tulsamal

I have two as well. P7M8 and PSP style. Big fan of the design. Since the vast majority of civilians are going to carry a gun for many years and never actually "have to use it...." a CCW gun needs to be as safe as possible. In the hand and in the holster. And during a re-holster. The P7 is that gun.

BUT... I almost never carry mine. I have but they are mostly range guns now. And it's not because they get hot after 50 rounds. It's because they are all steel and just heavier than I'm willing to carry around every day. I've been carrying a gun with a CCW for something like 15 years now and I've found that size isn't as important as weight. I prefer a bare gun weight of 18-24 ounces. The P7 is more like 28 ounces. A quarter of a pound over the limit doesn't sound like much but it gets worse.

I'm not a cop or even military any more. I'm not going to walk around with a full SWAT team load on my belt. Especially if I'm just going into Vinita for an hour or two during the day. Rural towns of 7000 are quiet places during the day. In those situations, I'm willing to drop down to just a gun and no spare mag IF I feel like the mag + chamber amount is sufficient. The P7 at 8+1 is right on the edge. When I have carried it, I usually ended up with a spare mag. But a lighter gun with higher capacity like a Glock 19 or HK P2000 (12+1 in .357 SIG) I feel good about carrying without the extra weight of another mag.

Again, I do really like the design. And I agree that it was "ahead of its time." But that was the 80's. HK didn't continue to improve it. If they took the P7 design and made a modern version with lightweight materials.... I just might carry that.

Gregg
Old August 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #9
Pilot

Most of the weight of a P7 is in its slide. I believe it needs the mass to function properly due to the blowback, gas retarded design. I don't see a lighter weight P7 ever being produced, but I don't have a crystal ball either. With a proper holster, and belt, I don't feel the weight of the P7, and nine rounds works for me. YMMV.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:12 PM   #10
MLeake

The weight difference is not in the slide, it is in the steel frame.

Put my P7 next to my CZ P01, and the P7 slide is smaller than the P01 slide.

The gas system does not add mass, that I can tell, and if it does that mass would be in the cylinder housing in the frame.

Edit: For that matter, most of the weight is in the grip portion of the frame, which is why the P7 can challenge holster makers. Holsters have to be designed to resist the proportionally heavy grip's tendency to torque away from the body. This is true of my P7 PSP pistols, and I assume it would be more pronounced with M13 variants.
Old August 25, 2013, 01:26 PM   #11
hodaka

I have had the P7M8 for about 10 years now. As previously stated, it is very accurate. I have a good holster and I carried it concealed for quite a while. It is heavy but a good holster and belt works wonders. It does heat up after a few magazines. I once tried it at a local IDPA competition. Although I had never noticed it when plinking, I did find that I was accidently releasing the grip on some courses of fire. I guess I tend to shoot with a loose grip and you can't do that with a P7. My wife likes it and can shoot it well. I'll keep this one but I prefer a 1911 for carry.

Nice video and review, BTW.
Old August 25, 2013, 03:03 PM   #12
FairWarning

I love the P7 because the handling is without peer for me. It is also a very effective carry gun and has a true "anti-stress" safety via the grip, which I consider ideal and comforting to have working in my favor.
Old August 25, 2013, 03:39 PM   #13
Venom1956

I've wanted one just about forever...
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 25, 2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
They are interesting guns but take some getting used to. My main complaint is that the gun must be gripped hard at all times.
Then the one you shot was broken. My P7 requires only one pound of gripping force to keep it cocked. I can easily keep it cocked by pinching the cocker with one finger on the cocker and one finger on the back strap.
Mine is virtually effortless to keep cocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
The fluted chamber, needed to keep the extractor from tearing the rim off the case; the hot piston area; and the need to clean the gas system are, again IMHO, not important problems.
The nice thing about the fluted chamber, you can completely remove the extractor and the P7 will continue to function just fine. The flutes trap some gas and float the empty brass in the chamber.
Old August 25, 2013, 07:04 PM   #15
kcub

Quote:
I've wanted one just about forever...
...as have I.

and being as how I am such a bitch for die Deutsche pistolen I now have one on the way

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-pistol...pic-heavy.html
Old August 25, 2013, 08:17 PM   #16
jaughtman

P7 here.....

Yes, it is a little heavy for CC....that is why it is my go-to bedside and main HD gun....pick it up in the middle of the night and with w slight squeeze it is ready to go. Pretty much fool-proof.

J

And scary accurate.....
Old August 25, 2013, 08:18 PM   #17
PSP

Quote:
I don't see a lighter weight P7 ever being produced, but I don't have a crystal ball either.
There have been several attempts to make a modern polymer gas piston pistol, (Vector, ADP for example), but they have not done well.
Old August 26, 2013, 07:23 AM   #18
loose_holster_dan

i adore my psp. wish i had the budget to get one of each variant.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old August 26, 2013, 04:14 PM   #19
Sharpsdressed Man

A friend of mine carried one for many years on his police department. He and another officer has some issues with the striker retaining plates breaking after x-number of rounds now and then, but overall, a good gun. HK was not the easiest to get parts from during those "weapons down" times.
Old August 26, 2013, 04:49 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Whenever I see plouffedaddy's videos, one of the Joker's quotes from the 1989 movie Batman comes to mind:

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"
Old August 26, 2013, 05:29 PM   #21
IdahoG36

Very nice! I had a Hk P7 PSP years ago, and I was very surprised at the accuracy I could get out of it.
Old August 26, 2013, 05:44 PM   #22
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Thanks for the review. These are great pistols, but it is very seldom I have ever been let down by Hk. Gorgeous gun, can't wait for the next review...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 26, 2013, 08:08 PM   #23
jaughtman

Cost....

Was I the only one that bought one of those West German police trade ins about 4 years ago that seemed to be in all the LGS'? You could get one for 500-600. Almost all had the dark plum-colored slide....

J
Old August 26, 2013, 09:11 PM   #24
IdahoG36

^^^

You weren't the only one I got mine for $700 as well.
Old August 27, 2013, 06:18 AM   #25
loose_holster_dan

my first one was a grade A and was $700. a year later i bought one that was a C at best (not officially rated), and i got it for $500. ended up selling the second to a friend.

"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."