The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2013, 12:08 AM   #1
savagest

Did some .308 load testing at the range today.

I was working up some loads for some winchester and hornady brass today. It went fairly well. I was using 175 match kings and imr 4064. Starting at 39ish and up to 42.5ish, i will post some real numbers here soon. I was able to achieve sub MOA on a few different loads so it is looking good.

I have rarely shot sub MOA with this rifle (savage model 10) so I am very happy.

I had some federal brass loads that sucked it up. I also had their 7.62x51 cases that were showing signs of over pressure on the lighter loads so I just stopped firing those.

On a side not, I picked up a ton of brass. .223 and 9mm. Can anyone tell me where I can post these up for sale or trade?
Old July 29, 2013, 09:48 AM   #2
stubbicatt

Good for you. Glad you found a few loads that your rifle likes. Now comes the tedium of analyzing your performance, and determining which load is on the accuracy node, most closely to the middle. It seems one can use up a whole lotta components arriving at a decision of which load to use, and a whole lotta barrel life.

At some point later this year my "F Open" rifle will be ready, but probably not in time to do any meaningful load development this year.

Congratulations on the good shooting, and exercising good judgment in discarding the cases that weren't giving you the performance you expected.