The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 4, 2013, 11:12 AM   #1
jproaster

1st leather holster- moves on belt

Just wondering how to keep galco stinger holster for a p238 from sliding on my 1.25 in. belt.

John
Old February 4, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Dragline45

You might need a more heavy duty belt, one specifically made for carrying a holster. Several holster makers sell these belts in different width's and thicknesses. Maybe a thicker belt would prevent the holster from moving around so much.

Personally, I like a little movement. When I sit in the car I like to shift the holster to a different position to accommodate for sitting and to make it more comfortable.

Last edited by Dragline45; February 4, 2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old February 4, 2013, 03:12 PM   #3
jproaster

Dragline, I think that im already getting to understand your point of ability to shift holster positions.

To be honest i figured that having a pinned holster would make removing the pistol easier too. But my practice today shows that the holster is releasing pretty well and doesnt move along the belt during removal.

Maybe my query was premature.

Thanks for the help.

John
Old February 4, 2013, 04:51 PM   #4
MTSCMike

I have a Stinger for my LCP and love it. Play with belt thickness until you find one that makes it snug but still allows you to move it when wanted.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:49 PM   #5
jason_iowa

Galco makes a nice gun belt. My next belt will be from Bullhidebelts.com. I have never had one but I have been looking and they look like a superb belt to me.

I try to "pin" my holster between belt loops so that it can not slide much. Depending on what I'm wearing some are easier to keep from moving.

Dress pants I have a tailor do the belt loops so that my holster sits between 2 that are reinforced so that they don't tear off if my gun gets on something. Could do this with jeans as well but jeans typically have better belt loops then dress pants.

Honestly if you are going to carry concealed as a lifestyle an not a hobby I suggest finding a good tailor. He/she will soon become your best friend. Ill buy a pile of clothes and take them to the tailor and get a load done for 50-100 bucks. It may seem like kind of a lot to pay extra on your clothes but unless you have a wife who is a super seamstress or are one yourself its more then worth it.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:23 AM   #6
wyodesertrat

I really like my wilderness tactical belt

Sent from my electronic trigger device using Tapatalk
Old February 5, 2013, 06:33 PM   #7
jproaster

Thanks for the replies; im getting used to the fit, but will be looking into a belt made for this holster.

John
Old February 7, 2013, 10:51 AM   #8
Gaerek

Is your belt a gun belt? I know some manufacturers make 1.25" gun belts. But really, if you have no need for the 1.25" belt (some people do...they need to carry and look dressy, etc) get a 1.5". That's really the minimum for a sturdy platform for your gun. Stay away from the department store when looking for gun belts. If you can fold part of the belt in half the long way, it's not nearly sturdy enough.

http://www.concealmentsolutions.com

They make several styles of gun belt. They even have a 1.25" variety, if you need it. It's made out of horsehide, which is heavier duty (and more expensive) than cowhide. I have one of their regular 1.5" cowhide belts and it works great.
Old February 17, 2013, 07:32 AM   #9
22Rimfire

Years ago, when I worked armed security, I had the same problem. I bought "belt stays" from my local Police uniform shop, worked great. Dont know if they still make them or not.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
BlkHawk73

Use a GOOD holster and an equally GOOD belt. Preferrably from the same maker. Myself, all mine come from Mitch Rosen. Perfect tight fit so there's no movement, no sag and perfect retention. Cheap out on either and you're getting what you pay for. The mass produced, production line stuff just never seems to offer the better fit.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:35 AM   #11
FALPhil

I have found that these make excellent gun belts at a fraction of the price of branded gun belts.