The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 3, 2012, 09:39 AM   #1
MadMikeX3

Students for Concealed Carry

Don't know if this is a proper place for this. Just want to get support going for a great cause. You can find them at

www.concealedcampus.org

They are also on Facebook and twitter. Each state has there own moderator or representative. Seems appropriate after the latest tragedy in California's college shooting.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
Old April 3, 2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Hansam

Huh? Drive by?
Old April 3, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Sort of a drive-by. We've had long threads about the pros and cons of campus carry, the strategies for allowing it, etc. Want to look at them before a rehash.

I'll let it run a bit. Please be rational.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4
MadMikeX3

No I don't think this is a Drive by post.

Just want to help spread a message for those who would like to CC on campus and feel safer seeing how many campus shootings occur. I am not looking for a discussion or an argument. Just simply putting the information out there. Take it or leave it.
Old April 3, 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Their site doesn't have much on legislative strategy, or a list of bills they've gotten sponsored. What concrete initiatives are they currently pursuing?
Old April 3, 2012, 02:06 PM   #6
MadMikeX3

You are absolutely correct. I did notice that and I have contacted there public relations about that. As of right now the only things I know they have participated in are two. One being there "Empty Holster" Protest. This will be there 4th or 5th year for it and I am Currently participating in this as well. You simply wear your empty holster showing to everyone that you are unarmed and defenseless. Some have asked where my gun is and I tell them that as a CC permit holder, I am not allowed to carry on campus leaving me unable to defend myself if the need is to arise. A few colleges tried to prevent the Empty holster protest as seen in this casehttp://thefire.org/case/763.html Second thing I see is here which is a very good victory for SCC. SCC carried a suit against University of Colorado. Article can be found here. http://concealedcampus.org/2012/03/c...-campus-carry/

So not a lot of what I can see, But they are moving in the right direction.

Last edited by MadMikeX3; April 3, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old April 3, 2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

The momentum for such has died in TX. I posted that before. The last bill could have passed as it seemed to have the votes but it is thought that some of the votes were just posturing and behind the scenes committee fun was arranged so it never got voted on. Thus, you get to support it but not antagonize UT or A&M - very powerful in the state.

The Gov. could used some legislative agenda setting powers to negate this but chose not to.

I don't think the climate is conducive to such in most states now. The school shooting cuts both ways for the public. We the choir - see one way. But being in the business, the school populations and lobbies don't.