The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 13, 2011, 12:44 PM   #1
BillyHank

Calling out to the Lefties out there

What gun, AS A LEFTY, would you recommend for CC? I get a bunch of right handers telling me to simply learn to shoot with my off hand (which I intend to do), but when I ask them if they've ever tried to learn anything with their non-dominant hand, and if so - would they want to protect their and their families lives with the non-dom hand, they kind of waiver...

So - if you're a lefty, what's your favorite carry weapon? Im kind of thinking it'll need to be a revolver, but maybe there is something out there Im not aware of?
Old March 13, 2011, 01:00 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm left handed, but I can shoot equally well with either hand.

I primarily carry revolvers, Smith & Wessons, but I've practiced swapping hands to do a reload.

If you're not comfortable with that, your best bet is probably a semi-auto with ambidextrous controls.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:08 PM   #3
TXAZ

I'm a lefty but can shoot either handed, but prefer left.
There are several guns that have ambi safeties and mag releases. I prefer a P229 and can pop the mag with my left index finger, but the PK380 is ambi, and I believe the Beretta 92FS is also on the safety, possibly with the ability to switch the mag release. Can anyone confirm / refute that?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 13, 2011, 02:14 PM   #4
leathermarshmallow

I guess I am too ignorant to care. I am a lefty. I have never had an issue with any pistol or revolver when it comes to left handedness. I just find a way to adapt. In fact, It has become so natural that I don't think it makes any difference.
Old March 13, 2011, 02:18 PM   #5
ArizonaTRex

I learned to shoot with revolvers. As a lefty their ambi shooting ability is nice since they can be fired with either hand. Reloading is not as lefty friendly tho. When I started CCing I shopped lots of styles but for ease of function and a true either hand safety I initally chose a Glock. Since like a revolver your finger is the safety device it worked.

But, I never shot it as well as my revolvers-just figured it was a semi-auto thing. And after reading how "awful" Glocks were and how "weak' the 9mm was I shopped around for a new pistol. Didn't really need to but when the wife said sure.... Picked up a SA1911 .45acp with ambi safety and immediately my semi-auto bias for poor shooting disappeared. The 1911 shot very well for me and my groups went back to nice holes close together.

So the best advice I can give is hit some ranges and try what fits and shoot best for you. As a lefty we have already developed weak hand skills most righties never can (ever picked up a pair of sculpted contour fit scissors-for right handed use? See how many people can use scissors with either hand!)

Now before you Glock lovers chastise me I still carry the Glock-but as a backup with the 1911 as primary-unless hiking then the .357 is the primary. But if you need to discuss with your SO why you need a new gun gotta have some plausible reasons sometimes.......

And I am fully confident that the 9mm is just fine for self defense, and having almost 3x the rounds per magazine vs the 1991 is nice esp when hiking in southern AZ..
Old March 13, 2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Crazy88Fingers

http://charterfirearms.com/products/...paw_93820.html
Old March 13, 2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

Leftist here. Haha - a friend calls me that. I find that a Glock is easy to manipulate left handed. With an ambi safety - my 1911 is not a problem.

Nor are revolvers - just practice. You DON'T have to switch hands but practicing with both is a good idea.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:01 PM   #8
GoOfY-FoOt

Billy, I, too, am left-handed. Hence the screen name. I carry, shoot, reload, rechamber and all, left handed. I used to carry a Glock and could change mags as quick as a righty. I use my left middle finger to operate the mag release, and flip my thumb over to activate the slide release. Most semi-autos don't spit brass, directly at me, so it is really a non-issue.

Currently, I carry a full sized 1911, with an ambidextrous safety. I also own a Sig with ambi-safety, mag and slide release, but I still find myself doing it the other way, when running drills. My point is, buy a gun that is comfortable. Shoot it. ALOT. Find the way that works for you. If you are new to shooting, the sky is the limit. If not, then you most likely developed some things that work, already, and you should continue to build on those.

Good luck.
Old March 13, 2011, 03:40 PM   #9
03clyde

Lefty here too. Long time shooter - never bothered me - shoulder weapons or handguns.
Old March 13, 2011, 04:41 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

I'm lefty as well and I've found that you can adapt to any gun very easily with a bit of practice. You'd be surprised what you can learn to do with your index finger on your left hand.

As far as learning to shoot right handed, it would be great to learn to do it, but it's poor advice in my opinion. You can very easily find a gun that works for you as a CCW gun and holsters are easy to find too. There is no need to learn to shoot right handed in order to CCW.

As far as guns, my carry guns are a S&W Airweight, a Ruger LCP, a Springfield 1911 and a Glock 22.

Revolvers are of course easy for left hand person to operate. The Ruger LCP and Glock are very left handed friendly as well. I did opt for a ambi-safety on my 1911 both otherwise that gun is very easy to carry operate left handed.

Find a gun you like and fits you well first. Don't limit your choices to "left handed guns" as you really can adapt to them very easily. I've always bought guns that I liked and felt right. The fact that they are generally set up as a right handed gun has never been a consideration.
Old March 13, 2011, 04:49 PM   #11
NCSU08MS3

Lefty here, I chose a Springfield Arms XDm9 Compact for my CCW. Ambidextrous mag release, grip safety and trigger safety. Only thing it doesn't have on the right side for a lefty is slide release but I just pop it back with my right hand and have no problems. The other I considered was the S&W M&P 9 Compact it has ambidextrous slide release, (optional) thumb safety, as well as reversible mag release. If you're looking for something a bit slimmer/smaller for carry I've been looking into the Walther PPS which will probably be my next handgun purchase.

Phillip
Old March 13, 2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Mesquito Whitey

Left handed shooting

When I was in LE I carried a Gold Cup and had an ambi safety. All the other guns I have used have been standard right handed ones. My wife bought me a left handed rifle one year for Xmas. Shot it a few times and put it back in the safe. It was ok, but I have gotten so used to working right handed controls left handed that it isn't an issue. Left handed folks just get used to working with stuff that is usually right handed.
Old March 13, 2011, 06:17 PM   #13
billnourse

1911 with ambi safety, Kahr with no safety, any revolver, but prefer S&W. There's not been a handgun I have ever tried that I could not master. Some took a little more work than others, but nothing that was a real problem.

Bill
Cooper 52 25/06, Cooper 52 30/06, Cooper 52 338/06Cooper 57 .17HMR, Remington VS .22/250 all left handed. Rock River Predator Persuit AR-15, 1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30. 2 Kimber 1911, Colt 1911, S&W .357 Mag, Kahr .40 and .380
Old March 13, 2011, 06:31 PM   #14
t45

Im a lefty and can shoot with my right pretty good. I adapt to right handed guns. My carry gun is a PF-9 with no safety's but it is DAO. I installed a ambi. safety on my 1911 but am used to it either way. I have found that finding certain holsters has been an issue at times though.
Old March 13, 2011, 06:40 PM   #15
oneounceload

As yet another LH, I prefer the P7 for being totally ambidextrous in a semi, or the Rohrbaugh for pocket carry. In revolvers, any will do, but I prefer S&W
Old March 13, 2011, 07:07 PM   #16
iMagUdspEllr

There are actually quite a few lefty friendly designs today. Pick one of the following that you like the best:

Glock (compact or sub-compact)
FNH FNX
S&W M&P
Beretta PX4
Sig Sauer P250
et cetera.

You can go on and on. Just make sure you can use all of the controls well, the gun fits your hand, its lightweight, and it is small enough to be concealed easily.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:26 PM   #17
OneBagNomad

Do you have a dominant eye? I'm left handed but right eye dominant. When I started shooting I chose to make the switch to righty so I could shoot with both eyes open. Feels normal now; can't do anything else with that hand but it shoots well. Just another thing to consider.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:49 PM   #18
jaysonr

Thought this was gonna be a rant ...

Anyways, I'm a righty with a dominate left eye and find that I shoot more accurately left handed.

The greatest aggravation for me has been with the slide release on semi's. Some are easy to work with my trigger finger, some require real contortion to reach.

So far the XMD and M&P have been the easiest for me.
Old March 13, 2011, 09:13 PM   #19
ClydeFrog

The "right" handguns for left-handers....

As a "southpaw" I know the slings & arrows of being in the approx 15% segment of the US population.
Strangely I recall about a period where around 75% of my US Army MP squad was all left-handed but that's another story for later.

Briefly I'd suggest checking out www.StagArms.com . They sell both right & left hand models of many popular AR type rifles. I hope they soon churn out a "lefty" 1911a1 .45acp or maybe a Commander size pistol but we will see.
Charter Arms markets a .38spl small frame snub for left-handed use.
As for semi auto pistols, I'd look into a LEM(smooth DA only) format HK P30, P2000, HK45, or a HK45compact. Heckler & Koch really set high standards for ambi & pro-left hand shooters.
The new S&W military and police line has a lot to offer too. The mag release can be converted & the rugged pistols have many ambi-controls.
Some lefty gunners like the older HK P7m8 & P7m13 series. These pistols are compact & eject cases out of the way of most left handers. Another popular old school semi auto is the Walther P5. It kicks brass to the left also.
There are a few good DA only type or striker ambi pistols out there; the Ruger SR9, the EZ9, the Walther P99, etc.

Clyde
Old March 13, 2011, 09:30 PM   #20
Superhouse 15

I'm a lefty and I switch between a Glock 19, a P7M8, a 1911 with ambi safety, and a Browning Hi Power. The HP came with an ambi safety, I installed ome on my 1911. I occasionally carry various S&W revolbers and a Kel Tec as a BUG. You can learn to shoot anything, just takes practice.

Over the years I have learned to dislike the Sig P series, the CZs and the S&W three-digit guns without ambi safeties. Too hard for me to care to work with if I have a better choice.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:19 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

The Ruger P-Series only has a left-side slide release, but the safety (or decocker) and mag release are ambidextrous.
Old March 14, 2011, 07:14 PM   #22
8shot357

leathermarshmallow

Post # 4

Quote:
I just find a way to adapt.
That's what I was thinking.
Old March 14, 2011, 08:59 PM   #23
ClydeFrog

Beretta PX4 C format, frame mounted ambi safety controls...

I wanted to add the great low recoil C type PX4 Storm. I bought a new model PX4 C 9mmNATO in 2009. It worked well and the mag release can be switched. The newer "compact" PX4 series has ambi slide controls. No formal word yet on a smooth DA only C(constant) type model yet.
Also, I like ambi type frame mounted safety features. It's faster & natural.
As for the "best" of recent models, I would research the HK/LEM P2000 semi auto model with night sights in .357sig.
Old March 14, 2011, 09:19 PM   #24
franco45

I am a lefty too. Best advice "just adapt". I have a CX4 Storm on layaway and I don't even know if I am going to switch the mag release to the other side when I bail it out.
Old March 14, 2011, 09:53 PM   #25
DAVID NANCARROW

Another lefty, but right eye dominant shooter here. I learned to shoot right handed and do okay at it. Can shoot either handed but since my primary pistol platform is the 1911 type, its always better to have 2 mitts on that big hunk of steel anyway.
I have found that using my non dominant hand has a few advantages besides shelling out extra for southpaw models of weapons I like. First and foremost, my right hand trigger finger is a bit more sensitive which helps with the trigger press. The other advantage is when I get to the "non dominant" shooting stage at the local IDPA match where I do shoot left handed. I generally do better at it than the traditional righties do