The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 3, 2010, 06:28 PM   #1
rodwhaincamo

Elk/Black Bear Interbond?

After some more consideration I think I'd rather get a 280 Rem for hunting pronghorn to elk and black bear.
I intended on using an SST for antelope and deer, and jump up to the Interbond for elk and bear. The heaviest weight Hornady offers both is 154 grns. No need to remember different trajectories or wind drifts.
Would you trust a 154 IB with an elk or blk bear?
Old April 3, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
b12alex

Personaly a 300 win mag would be a better gun for your aplication. It shoots flat and long. It has enough power no take out the biggest black bear and can do the distance of thoughs long pronghorn shots. .280 might be light for elk but with a good shot placement you could take in out with a .22 i guess. Just food for thought.
Old April 3, 2010, 08:11 PM   #3
oneounceload

If the 154 is accurate in your rifle, then use. I use a 7mm mag, slightly larger powder capacity. My 7 loves a 160 Sierra for absolute accuracy, but my hunting load of a 160 Nosler partition hasn't ever let me down. Your 154 would be close in characteristics I would think.

Your 280 should do just fine.
Old April 3, 2010, 08:39 PM   #4
troy_mclure

My dad has taken pronghorn, elk, black bear, and moose with his 7mm mag using 160gr bullets.

But its a harder recoiling cartridge than the 280, and i think uses lots more powder.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 3, 2010, 09:27 PM   #5
rodwhaincamo

I love the BC's of the 7mm bullets, and the 280 Rem seems just right in a light weight rifle (Encore). Not so sure I would like the recoil of a 300 Win Mag. I intend on trying out a friend's 7mm Rem Mag before I decide on what to do.
Old April 3, 2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Find a quality bullet with integraty which shoots well in your rifle and use it for EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Switching bullets for different game animals is very poor ecomomy for a goodly number of reasons.

I like the 300 win mag, and have used one as my go to hunting rifle for years.

However, the 280 with a quality bullets will do well for most hunting.

The 300 does have the advantage at greater distance.

But as already stated, use one bullet - something like a Nosler Partition or one of the good bonded bullets, or even possibly one of the coreless bullets.

Just make it a good one.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 3, 2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Kind of a "PS" here.

If you reload, you don't have to shoot "peddle to the metal" loads all the time!

When working up loads for hunting, I let the rifle beat a sand bag while shooting at the bench.

If I'm just plinking - with my hunting rifle - reduced loads are fine for that.

The rifle never hurts me, so I don't develop bad habits and I never feel the recoil of the very few shots taken during hunting season.

For years, I have made reduced loads for my wife's 270. She can shoot all she wants and enjoy it.

Then just before hunting season, I sight the rifle in with hunting level loads and she is ready to go. No pain, no strain, AND NO FLINCH!!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 3, 2010, 10:13 PM   #8
rodwhaincamo

Crusty: Assuming that the 154 SST and Interbond should perform the same as they have the same BC. Don't feel I would need to use a bonded bullet for pronghorn or deer.
Old April 4, 2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Possibly true, EXCEPT, there is no way to know if they will shoot to the same point of aim without shooting both.

Maybe will maybe won't. Some rifles do well with different bullets going to the same or more likely close to the same point of aim, but some won't.

Considering the bullets, even high priced ones are the cheapest part of any hunt, Why take the chance?

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old April 4, 2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Buzzcook

Hornady interbonds will do just fine. Either the 139gr or 154gr will do good.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:17 AM   #11
hoghunting

I have a few friends in Colorado who use 270s for elk, and they have never been disappointed with that caliber. You shouldn't have any problems with a 280. Use the SST or Interbond, as either one will work for elk. I would pick the bullet that is the most accurate in your rifle and just use it.
Old April 5, 2010, 06:14 AM   #12
Daryl

It'll work fine as long as it shoots good from your rifle.

I use 145 grain bullets in my 7mm mag. The inexpensive Speer SPBT's work great on deer and antelope, and I switch to the same weight Grand Slam bullets for elk, bear, bison, and such.

I shoot, and they fall down. It's never failed to kill what I hit with it.

Daryl
Old April 5, 2010, 09:29 AM   #13
crghss

I've always felt the 7mm Express, oh sorry, 280 rem is one of the best all around cartridges ever for hunting in the lower 48. It balances a really potent punch with a very manageable recoil. I can't understand why it's not more popular. I guess with the .270, 7mm-08, .308 and '06 there isn't much room left for it and so it's almost a reload only cartridge.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:43 PM   #14
rodwhaincamo

I actually like the 284 Win cartridge the best, but with cases outrageously priced and hard to find, I'll pass.
I really like the balance of caliber, weight, and very high BCs of the 7mm. Hunting mostly in the Hill Country of Texas, I had leaned more towards the 7mm-08. But really desired to move to northern New Mexico, and have talked it over w/ girlfriend who's ready to leave. Now my range can considerably change. Not to mention the high winds I noticed so much there, as well as in northern Arizona, which was cool too.
Considering 7mm's from the -08 to Rem Mag in an Encore, and looking at it from the cost perspective as well, and the 280 seems to make the most sense.
I had wondered about Sierra's sight giving an aray of BCs for their bullets.
With the wind being my main concern, as I am not skilled in wind speed judgement, but understand the trajectory well enough, and can judge the distance fairly well out to 250-300 yds, I opt for the higher BCs.
I would give more on the group size for better wind resistance, and am beginning with the SST and trying the BT and BST, as well as the AT. But because I can get (assuming they perform the same) the IB and AB with identical BCs I lean towards them. I'd be OK with a 4" @ 300 yds with an interchangeable level bullet than to switch to something that varies widely @ 400 yds but groups better, and that goes another 4" in a swift wind.
Thanks for all of the replies guys!
Old April 8, 2010, 07:45 AM   #15
Jack O'Conner

Years ago, I guided for a friend of my brother-in-law. We hunted elk in Crook County, Wyoming. More specifically, the Bear Lodge Mts south-west of Aladdin. This man hunted with a Remington auto-loader in 280 and plain core-lockt ammo.

We detected a small herd snoozing on the edge of a meadow partially hidden in shadows. A long stalk around the ridge brought us to within approx 150 yards of our quarry. Steep downhill shooting was req'd due to terrain and wind direction. He sat down to shoot and we rested quietly until a good bull stood up at my loud elk whistle. Two quick shots and the hunt was over.

Both bullets were found balled up under the hide after penetrating the paddle shaped shoulder bone and through the chest organs. These bullets were badly deformed and partial jacket separation was observed but lethal results were acheived.

My sister-in-law has taken several elk with her 7mm-08 featuring Nosler Partition bullets with predictable lethal results. I heard the new bonded bullets offered by Remington and others are quite lethal as well.

The photo above was taken in western Custer County, S. Dakota at a place appropriately named Elk Mt. But terrain matches Bear Lodge Mts. which is why I inserted it.

Jack

Last edited by Jack O'Conner; April 8, 2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling error corrected
Old April 8, 2010, 08:46 AM   #16
kraigwy

Quote:
The photo above was taken in western Custer County, S. Dakota at a place appropriately named Elk Mt
Damn Jack, you are playing in my back yard. I live at the foot of Elk Mountain, (Wyoming Side), Ferguson Canyon.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 8, 2010, 09:54 AM   #17
rodwhaincamo

I feel that an "old school" bullet will work with enough energy. No doubts there....been happening for centuries before.
My understanding is that to get the kind of penetration necessary you need a high sectional density, and bullet weight helps. So I wonder if with bonded or solid expanding bullets you can drop some weight and still achieve good results.
Especially since I intend on using a single shot (Encore). There are no follow up shots, which I am seeing the tendency of.
Old April 9, 2010, 04:15 PM   #18
youp

Yes.