The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 10, 2010, 06:16 PM   #1
blueovelwookie

1911 delta elite mods.

the delta will be used for some target but mostly carry. i was thinking of using a tungsten guide rod and plug, and wolff 22-24lb springs, and recoil buffers. i would like to get some type of night sights (need some help here). i am wanting to use double tap 135gr 10mm rounds. i would also like to get some type of trigger upgrade. i am new to the 1911 platform and the 10mm round. i have done some research on both but i have a lot to learn. any suggestions on mods to the 1911 to make it as failsafe and accurate as possible. i have a hk45c, usp 9mmc two tone, and a xdm 9mm.(more to come for the collection)

thanks
Brett
Old March 10, 2010, 09:04 PM   #2
Hunter Customs

Keep in mind the tungsten rod is going to add some weight to the gun, you might find it more then you want at the end of the day.
If you are going to go with a tungsten rod I recommend the EGW rod.
If you have trouble finding a new one or wish to save some money I have a used one I'll sell.

I would try a 20 pound recoil spring and a small radius firing pin stop. You really should not need the recoil buffers.

As for night sights Novaks or Trijicon are good ones. There's other sight set-ups that will work very well for a defense gun.

As for the action job I would keep the pull weight at least 3.5 or maybe 4 pounds.
If you have never done an action job on a 1911 it will be best if you have a good smith do it for you.

If you have any questions and I can be of help feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com