The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 26, 2008, 10:34 PM   #1
nemo2econ

If I'm in Washington DC, can I buy a handgun tomorrow?

Ok, so the Supreme Court affirmed Heller today. There is an individual right to keep and bear arms in the nation's capital. That's theoretical. Let's get practical.

Say I'm not a felon, nor mentally incompetent, and I live in the District of Columbia. How can I legally purchase a handgun from an FFL firearms dealer since there are none in the District, and other states cannot sell to out-of-state residents? Can I even do this?

If not, may I legally purchase from an individual in another state? Or does some legislation attempt to prevent that as well?
Old June 26, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

You need to find out about your local laws. My understanding is that you will need to acquire a license first, then you can purchase a handgun to have in your home.

You may not purchase a handgun outside of your own state unless it is transferred to an FFL holder and then to you.
Old June 26, 2008, 11:50 PM   #3
Socrates

NO. There are no existing FFL dealers in D.C. No gun stores, and, if you buy from out of state, it has to be shipped to an FFL in D.C. which have all been run out of business.

While all this is going on, the BATF has been running gun shop owners out of business.

My local guy told me that Kali has gone from 6000 gunshops, FFL's, to 1500.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:09 AM   #4
AirForceShooter

There are FFls' in DC.
You're going to have to wait until about the middle of July for the DC gov to set up new rules. And from what your Mayor said you will not be allowed a semi auto.

AFS
Old June 27, 2008, 07:00 AM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I could be wrong, but I thought I read that the Mayor has given the Police Department 21 days to get a system in place to allow for licensing demands.
Old June 27, 2008, 08:31 AM   #6
nemo2econ

What about private purchase?

Okay, so it sounds like the official "rulz" will prevent any FFL purchase for at least a few weeks. But what about private purchase?

Would it be legal for the Washington DC resident described to simply purchase a legal firearm from a regular private seller? (obviously, said seller might be from outside the District.)
Old June 27, 2008, 09:10 AM   #7
Texas Solo

Isn't it illegal to privately sell a handgun to other than a state resident? A Virginia man cannot sell his private weapon to a DC or Maryland guy. This is one way DC will fight the decision. Imagine the buisness licensing, zoning and insurance issues with trying to open a gun shop in DC. The law says DC folk can own a gun, but who says that DC has to allow any gunshops to open? And if you can't buy outside DC......??
Old June 27, 2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Gadget

Now that one issue is settlet (Heller), seeing as DC isn't a state, does that mean that they now recognize ALL state CCW licenses? If so, I want to go to the Veteran's memorial tomorrow.
Old June 27, 2008, 10:45 AM   #9
apr1775

that is a catch-22. A FFL from Virginia or Maryland could rent or buy a business place in DC and list it with the ATF as his second business location. Would this be an option or am I missing something here?

Who wants to do business under the scutiny of DC city government? They would be so eager to catch the local FFL to make a mistake. If I were in that situation, I'd ask the city to provide an in-store compliance officer. That way if a mistake were made, I could say, "why didn't the compliance officer catch it when it happened right in front of him?" Of course I'd present it to city gov as "I'd be happy to have a full time compliance officer in my store to make sure we do everything legally."
Old June 27, 2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Now that one issue is settlet (Heller), seeing as DC isn't a state, does that mean that they now recognize ALL state CCW licenses?
Even with the ruling, DC citizens still won't be able to carry a concealed handgun so I'd guess that they won't recognize any state CCW license.
Old June 27, 2008, 10:58 AM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

That law was passed to keep citizens of a certain color from having guns and making trouble for "the establishment". Crime had nothing to do with it.

Now the DC government is so corrupt and so in league with the druggies that the council and police will do everything possible to prevent anyone from having a gun. Remember, the police chief recently said she wanted thousands of CCTV cameras so as to be able to watch everyone, everywhere, all the time. That kind of Nazi mentality is not going to be in a hurry to allow "the subjects" to have guns.

Jim
Old June 27, 2008, 11:21 AM   #12
zxcvbob

Quote:
Now the DC government is so corrupt and so in league with the druggies that the council and police will do everything possible to prevent anyone from having a gun. Remember, the police chief recently said she wanted thousands of CCTV cameras so as to be able to watch everyone, everywhere, all the time. That kind of Nazi mentality is not going to be in a hurry to allow "the subjects" to have guns.
As described, the cameras might actually run afoul of the Third Amendment. I don't know if the S.C. has ever heard a 3rd A. case.

Bob
Old June 27, 2008, 11:49 AM   #13
hersheykiss

Gun Control

Yes and after reading the following article I am so thrilled and so are my friends:

http://hypocrisy.com/2008/06/26/cour...nt-gun-rights/

What would most of the people in this country do if they couldn't hunt?
Old June 27, 2008, 12:41 PM   #14
Let it Bleed

Quote:
As described, the cameras might actually run afoul of the Third Amendment.
I think your conclusion may need some creative reasoning.
Old June 27, 2008, 01:59 PM   #15
brickeyee

Placing camera is a pretty big stretch to quartering troops.

I don't like the cameras all that much either but it would be a tough fight.
There is no expectation of privacy in a public place.
Old June 27, 2008, 02:26 PM   #16
zxcvbob

I gathered that they wanted to be able to watch the citizens (and I use that word very loosely) *all the time* -- including in their homes.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:52 PM   #17
B.N.Real

The D.C.government released the information today that it would be three weeks before they started issueing permits to own handguns.

The announcement said the requirements would be strict and that only permits for revolvers would be issued.

The D.C. government then went on to say that they would not issue any permits for any semi auto handgun that held more than 12 rounds in the gun at any one time.

There was also more confusing information about would they issue permits for semi autos or not at all.

The response from the D.C. District Attorneys Office was very quick.

They asked that the D.C. Government comply fully with the Supreme Court decision because their office had very limited resources and could not sustain a never ending number of court battles.

Make no mistake,it will be a very long time before there is access to handguns for the average D.C. citizen like there is for the citizen who lives in Virginia(for example).
Old June 27, 2008, 09:02 PM   #18
Socrates

Quote:
Action Alert: Washington DC Already Planning To Restrict Law-Abiding Citizens 2nd Amendment Rights

The following is a memo sent to Washington, DC residents by Cathy Lanier, Washington, DC Chief of Police:

Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2008 6:35 PM
Subject: Supreme Court Update

Residents,

Unfortunately, the Supreme Court today struck down part of the District of Columbia's handgun ban. I wanted to drop you a note to let you know the immediate impact of this decision.

The Supreme Court's ruling is limited and leaves intact various other laws that apply to private residents who would purchase handguns or other firearms for home possession. It is important that everyone know that:

a.. First, all firearms must be registered with the Metropolitan Police Department's Firearms Registration Section before they may be lawfully possessed.
a.. Second, automatic and semiautomatic handguns generally remain illegal and may not be registered.
a.. Third, the Supreme Court's ruling is limited to handguns in the home and does not entitle anyone to carry firearms outside his or her own home.

Lastly, although the Court struck the safe storage provision on the ground that it was too broadly written, in my opinion firearms in the home should be kept either unloaded and disassembled or locked.

I will comply with the Court's reading of the Second Amendment in its letter and spirit. At the same time, I will continue to vigorously enforce the District's other gun-related laws. I will also continue to find additional ways to protect the District's residents against the scourge of gun violence.

Residents who want additional information can visit the Metropolitan Police Website at www.mpdc.dc.gov/gunregistration. Residents with questions are encouraged to contact the Firearms Registration Section at 202-727-9490.

Sncerely,

Cathy Lanier
Chief of Police

Memo Source: WashingtonPost.com
Washington, DC Chief of Police Contact Info:

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 202 727.4218
Fax: 202 727.9524
Mailing Address:
Chief of Police
Cathy Lanier
300 Indiana Ave., NW
Room 5080
Washington, DC 20001
Old June 27, 2008, 09:21 PM   #19
nemo2econ

Hey, there IS a licensed gun dealer in DC...

Just saw this on Knoxnews.com
Guns in DC
So, how does one lawfully get guns into DC? Even after Heller takes effect, it's a tough issue due to zoning:

Washington has no federally licensed gun stores, so nowhere in the city can residents buy a handgun legally.

Not true, really. There is one licensed firearms dealer in the city. One Josh Sugarmann of the anti-gun shill group the Violence Policy Center.

They can be reached at:
Violence Policy Center
1730 Rhode Island Avenue, NW
Suite 1014
Washington, DC 20036

phone (202) 822 8200
Ask them what they're charging for transfers. If they say they don't do them, remind them that, thanks in part to their kind's lobbying efforts, it is typically viewed a violation of federal law to hold an FFL and not be in the business of dealing firearms.

Posted by SayUncle
Here's the link.

My recommendation. Give 'em a call on Monday and see if they will do what it appears they are legally required to do: accept a transfer of a firearm into DC in accordance with their FFL.
Old June 27, 2008, 09:36 PM   #20
varoadking

Quote:
it is typically viewed a violation of federal law to hold an FFL and not be in the business of dealing firearms.
Really? Anyone have the legal background on this?

So, if I have a drivers license, is it a voilation of the law if I don't drive?
Old June 27, 2008, 10:18 PM   #21
kozak6

I don't know if it's illegal, but it's frowned upon to get an FFL intended for personal use only.
Old June 27, 2008, 10:21 PM   #22
Socrates

They don't want you to actually use the license. Currently, the BATF and Kali agencies have driven 4500 gun stores out of business, with harassement bookkeeping raids and audits.
That out of 6000. That leaves 1500 around.

I'm sure they've been able to make up any kind of bull to justify driving you out of business. Hopefully now some of these cases will stop that.

And yes, I know a guy with an FFL that doesn't ever use it.
However, the fact that he's retired LEO, and, a very good attorney probably keeps his FFL in place. It's class 3, by the way...
Old June 27, 2008, 10:53 PM   #23
azredhawk44

If they're only going to allow revolvers and not semiauto handguns, I'd be dang sure to be buying:

1. Matching TC Contender pistols in rifle calibers just so I can piss off the police under a misguided feeling that they can "outgun" me.
2. The biggest supermagnum double action revolver I can control. Just to frak with the system a bit more, I'd probably opt for a Redhawk in .44magnum then send it off to Bowen or another custom smith to be overbored to .480 or .475, again, just to piss off police. That way it isn't in the caliber it's registered under.
3. A pair of small 5-shot .357's, perhaps as large as the SP101, and again get a smith to give them a once-over to shoot maximum powered .357 loads... approaching the .357max chambering.
4. A pair of 8-shot N-frame S&W's and load them with light .38's, getting REALLY proficient at my DA shot and mozambique drills.

There's more than one way to obtain parity of force, and I think a LOT of the DC issue is not only Metro PD being able to outgun anyone, but also the other Fed types that work in DC such as Secret Service, FBI, etc.

Anything to make them question that IIa vest they wear every day and still feel good with no-knocks and supposed unloaded/locked guns.

Frankly, I'd think they should fear revolvers even MORE. That's how you get rifle power into a handgun package.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:27 AM   #24
Socrates

I'd be buying BFR 50 AE, with .500JRH cylinder, and, another in .475 Linebaugh. Or, better, 4 guns. That's 20 shots...
I REALLY want a BFR in 500 S&@, and, have the barrel chopped to shroud length, then use .500JRH ammo in it.
Or do the same with an X frame.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:37 AM   #25
zxcvbob

Quote:
Anything to make them question that IIa vest they wear every day and still feel good with no-knocks and supposed unloaded/locked guns.

Frankly, I'd think they should fear revolvers even MORE. That's how you get rifle power into a handgun package.
Anyone know where I can get some pulldown steel-core Tokarev bullets for my .30 Blackhawk? (just kidding)