The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 14, 2012, 10:35 AM   #1
BRJACKET

Shooting glasses

I am trying to figure out the best solution for shooting glasses. I use reading glasses for reading. With the readers I can see the front sight correctly but the target is very fuzzy. Without the readers I can see the target well but the front sight is fuzzy. I have tried some nice shooting glasses with built in magnifiers, but they cover the whole glasses area. I can't tell what Im hitting unless I remove the glasses after each shot or wait until I'm done and then see the results. Obviously this keeps me from correcting my shots to fine tune. I've tried come glasses that have readers built into the bottom area of the glasses. These are good but I have to tilt my head back to see through the reader part. The ideal solution would be to have the readers take up about half the glasses area so I could just adjsut up and down a little to either see the sight or the target. Have any of you who share this dilemma found a good solution?
Old November 14, 2012, 10:57 AM   #2
drail

Talk to your optician and explain where you need to have the lens focused. I have been fighting this problem for years and finally had to have a pair of glasses made that gave me a sharp focus on the front sight while leaving the target slightly out of focus. They were only used for shooting. I held a card with fine print in my shooting hand taped to a ruler that placed it at the same distance as the front sight on a 5 in gun. Trying to use a bifocal lens that forces you to tip your head back is unnatural and will cause problems in your neck. (trust me on this) Having a sharp focus on the front sight is what you want. The human eye can only focus on one focal distance. It cannot resolve a focus close and far at the same time. People with perfect vision will see the front sight in sharp focus and the target fuzzed out. This is normal. Concentrate on the front sight. Now if you're trying to hit a small target at very long ranges you are pretty much out of luck using open sights. This why scopes were developed.

Last edited by drail; November 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
BRJACKET

Those are all good points but I want to also be able to easily look at the target after shooting to see where I am hitting. It may take having a set of glasses made but I was hoping for something simpler that I could buy.
Thanks.
Old November 14, 2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Howard31

Glasses

. I found on ebay some stick on Bifocal lenses. I think they are called OPTX 20/20 stick on magnifying lesenes , removable and reusable. They were not cheap but you can use them on your shooting glasses and or sunglasses.
Old November 14, 2012, 03:06 PM   #5
RadioFlyer8

I would look for some good bifocals. I don't know how cheap getting new glasses is going to be but you could go check out all of the glasses at the dollar store. Find one that works for you and buy a few.
Old November 14, 2012, 06:41 PM   #6
TexasJim

Check out safetyglassesusa.com. I have beem using dual bi-focals top and bottom with no magnification in the middle. They work great and are very inexpensive.