The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 11, 2006, 09:38 PM   #1
Cmu_Sniper

Coyote Hunt Pics

Anyone have any good pics of Coyote Kills to share. And a short storie of the kill would be appreciated.
Old February 11, 2006, 10:55 PM   #2
armedtotheteeth

I got a few , but i gotta get them off my el cheapo camera. I will refrain from posting them due to the use of a 300 mag in head shot mode. I have already started wars with my head shots.
Old February 11, 2006, 11:31 PM   #3
indybrad

Called this one in for a buddy last Sunday. If you can tell by the pic the yote was in bad shape. Put him out of his misery, as they say, as the yote had mange. We set up in about a 5 acre field inbetween some rolls of hay on a fenceline. The yote came in to the right of us down the fence line and I couldn't get a shot cause the bails to the right of me were too high to see him through the scope. My bud was to the left of me and had the shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyote-fox 025 copy.jpg (96.9 KB, 360 views)
Old February 12, 2006, 12:46 AM   #4
Desertfox

I am going to give my Rigor Rabbit a try in the morning. I will take the camera.
Old February 12, 2006, 12:24 PM   #5
Badreno

Here you go. Link

These guys live 'yote hunting. Lots of pics and stories there.

...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Old February 12, 2006, 01:27 PM   #6
youp

Please be careful with mangey coyotes. The mange mite is perfectly content
feeding on humans also. When the mange is bad I take a can of raid and a trash sack. Put the coyote in and fog it.
Old February 12, 2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Rembrandt

No pics of kills....here's some pics I took while bow hunting for deer.

Old February 24, 2006, 11:19 AM   #8
PPD7617

Black coyote

I recently took this black coyote.
Male
39lbs
I debated on telling the story but I'll add it in, it's a little embarassing but funny.
It was dark and partly cloudy with snow on.
Two came in and I shot the smallest one thinking it was a female. I kept calling using a pup in distress call but if the other one came back or any others came in I didn't see them.
I went out and was surprised that it was black. I'd heard of them but never seen one myself. This dog had battle scars galore, a broken tooth, a split tooth and an open wound 1 1/2" oval on his left rib cage not quite through the hide and had been in a skunk in the recent past.
I slung my rifle on the left shoulder and grabbed his hind legs to pick him up. As I swung him up to a carry position it felt like he pulled back on me. I panicked thinking he was still alive and did my best to throw him. I stumbled back away and landed in a sitting position about 10 feet away. Finally I got my rifle leveled and the light on. I watched him for a minute with my heart pounding like mad and he didn't move. I made sure he was dead AGAIN and then noticed that he had a gimpy right hind leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black coyote 2.JPG (223.7 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg black coyote 4.JPG (203.8 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg black coyote 6.JPG (241.5 KB, 151 views)
Old February 24, 2006, 11:30 AM   #9
zeisloft

Here is a few I took last spring with a 686. Spring is easy as you often call in the young of the year, as I did. They will often come in as a pair, as these did. I took this double at 10 and 18 yds, very fast shooting, and yes, to some extent, I am bragging.
~z
coyotepistol.jpg

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old February 24, 2006, 03:58 PM   #10
20cows

Quote:
...and yes, to some extent, I am bragging.
Justifiably so!
Old February 24, 2006, 04:49 PM   #11
zeisloft

why thank you cows, you are too kind.
~z

Old February 24, 2006, 04:52 PM   #12
zeisloft

Good story PPD7617, I guess the hide was a bit beat, did you end up doing anything with it?
~z

Old February 25, 2006, 06:20 PM   #13
PPD7617

Zeisloft, The hide overall was in great shape. The scars on the ears and nose were all healed. That wound on the left rib cage wasn't completely through the hide so its not a hole just a grey bare spot pretty much. I have one coyote at the taxidermist now and can't afford to take this one in too but it is in the freezer,I am going to tan it and hang it on the wall.
I checked for any damage or apparant injury like a bullet wound on the gimpy leg after I skinned it. It looked completely normal other than it wouldn't stretch out.
Old February 28, 2006, 03:58 AM   #14
rc_racer_007

Okay, I have seen only 3 coyotes in the 5 or 6 years iv been hunting (im 20) First one was during bow season, when I had a crappy bow, about a 40 yard up hill shot with the yote skylined,,, didn't even bother.

So last year, I was squirell hunting, but mainly setting up and clearing area to bow hunt in a couple weeks. As soon as i got done clearing one spot, i set down for litteraly 20 seconds, and a doe ran into where i was, she couldnt have been 15 yards away, and took some pcis of her, if i had my bow,,, i dont think i could have got her cause she was stil in too much brush. though it was bow seaosn, so dont think I was thinking of poaching.

So, I walk up the road heading for another spot, taking my time, im about half a mile from where i set my first blind, when i see a god come over the hill, then i looked again,, no its a yote. And there is very little cover, im walking in the mdidle of the road, with blue jeans, a red shirt, and hunter orange one. When he came over the hill he may have been 50 yards away.

I was using my ole' winchester 32A single shot 20 guage iv had for years, given to me from my pawpaw. SO,, the yote is walking down the hill, and is gonna cross the road infront of me, and id guess maybe 30-35 yards. I wasnt sure how effective my 20 gauge would be at that yardage, so i walked rather briskly, and made up 10 yards. And I swear,, this yote HAD TO HAVE SEEN ME! but he kept coming. So I put my bed infront of this tree he was geting ready to walk behind. He stepped from behind that tree and onto the road.

BAM!

First shot hit him in the hind quarters, he couldnt move his hind legs at all, he was growling, yelping, and biting at his legs, while draging himself along via his front legs.

Right now, im reloading my single shot, and the thought hits me,,, they sometimes travel in packs... maybe im gonna be in serious trouble, lol. So, i reload, and the yote is moving kinda quick to only have to usable legs, so i have my gun to my shoulder, run up to him with the bead on him incase he tryed something, got to 10 yards, and put it into his vitals. He fell over immidiatly, made a final snarl and that was all she wrote.

Turns out, he was a she, Which made me happier. Looked like a yearling, and weighed about 23 pounds. I was gonna get it stuffed (full body) but dad talked me into getting a remington model 700 .270 and leupold scope instead. So i put it inthe freezer, and am in the process to trying to tan the hide myself and hang it on the wall.. so far,, i dont think its going to great, lol. but i have to learn

heres the pics.

The way she fell.

My trusty single shot 20 guage and its latest victim

Me with the prize,,, im white,, but not white like in that pic! i look albino. lol

Working on prepering the hide.
Old February 28, 2006, 12:00 PM   #15
chemist308

Damn, I'd almost be afraid I was capping somebody's dog...
Old February 28, 2006, 02:24 PM   #16
Desertfox

Nice story Rc Racer. Your mother is gonna have a fit when she sees you tanning that yote on her ironing board.
Congrats on the new .270. Many more yotes could fall to that .270. Good luck and keep killin them yotes.
Old February 28, 2006, 04:43 PM   #17
rc_racer_007

Quote:
Damn, I'd almost be afraid I was capping somebody's dog...
lol,,, as you can tell by the background in the last pic, I don't live in the country. I didn't have a grambel so, we had these grambel-look-alike hooks in the garage, and i was hanging it from the basket ball rim with the yote o nthe ground and this old lady was walking down the alley and asked what it was.. lol... i think she thought it was mypet fluffy lmao.. i was kinda worried some old people was gonna call the law saying i was skinning some one's pet. lol.

Quote:
Nice story Rc Racer. Your mother is gonna have a fit when she sees you tanning that yote on her ironing board.
Congrats on the new .270. Many more yotes could fall to that .270. Good luck and keep killin them yotes.
lol, that aint her ironing board, its a strecher. lol im not sure if you was serious or not.... lol

yeah, dad said instead of mounting that small yote, i could get a .270 and take out some moreyotes and mount a bigger on. So i went for the .270 instead. and im ordering stuff to tan that hide now... first time doing it im sure it aint gonna be to pretty lol.. i already have some holes in the hide now

Plus, i forgot to mention my third coyote encounter.

It was doe season, me and dad were hunting, and donny had drove his truck up to the hill, and we were hollering for him, and we heard him shoot twice. So we started walking to were he was, when in the bottom i I saw for like a second, just the back side of a yote. I was walking at the top of the hill, so i dropped over the top a little so nothing below could see me and went on a dead run with my.270 in hand, and never saw it again, dad was beside me and didnt see it (in his 20 some years of hunting, hes NEVER seen a yote in the wild, as i said before iv hunted like 6 and that was my third, lol. same land he has hunted). BUt I didnt see it again. I started questioning myself,,, maybe it was a big possum or something... and i knew it was headed to donny. and i heard two more shots. So we walked up there and he was draging the yote out. which made me feel good cause 1) he killed it 2) i didn't look insane infront of dad. lol

heres the one i saw/ donny killed. Two neck shots with ballastic tips. WOW. funny thing was,, he missed two deer that was much closer then this yote and in less cover, and got this yote twice when he said it was twice the differance and in much heavier cover. lol

Old March 1, 2006, 09:53 PM   #18
TJ Freak

Great pics from you all! Gonna take a camera Friday. Wish me luck!