The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 16, 2005, 11:49 PM   #1
Shorts

Caspian Parts Kit

Has anyone used the 1911 parts kit by Caspian. I would think by their reputation that the kit is quality. I've been pricing build up parts and I can't seem to beat the kit for the money. Sarco excluded, but I've heard if you went with that parts kit, you'd end up replacing it with better pieces anyway.

$188 for:

Ejector
Grip Screws
Grips Screw Bushings
Combat Hammer
Mag Catch Assembly
Plunger Tube
Sear
Disconnector
Strut
Slide Stop
Extractor
38/9mm Firing Pin
Firing Pin Retainer
Pin Set

Pin Set:
Barrel Link Pin
Sear Pin
Hammer Pin
Slide Stop Plunger
Safety Lock Plunger
Mainspring Housing Pin
Housing Pin Ratainer
Mainspring Cap
Mainspring Cap Pin
Hammer Strut Pin
Ejector Pin

Everything else I've got more or less lined up where to buy, but I'm still tinkering with it. Things are on my spreadsheet, but here's the list of parts for the post's sake:

Barrel 4.25" 9mm
Barrel Bushing
Barrel Link
Firing Pin Spring
Frame (Commander)
Grips
Grip Safety
Mainspring
Mainspring Housing
Plunger Spring
Recoil Spring
Recoil Spring Guide
Recoil Spring Plug
Sear Spring
Slide
Thumb Safety
Trigger
Old May 17, 2005, 06:52 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

caspian parts

DEAR shooter;
Ron FOREMAN OF weasels den Gun Shop uses alot of Caspian, amnd I've done some milling work for beavertails and I've never heard anything bad about them - Dave Sample will see this; he works on more different brands than I - he can tell you but I feel they're quality parts.
Most of the CNC parts are super.
Harry B.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Shorts

Thanks for the input. I talked to my gunsmith today picking up springs for my husband's 1911. While he doesn't like Caspian (thinks they're all show and sometimes go ), he did say the parts kit will suffice He also said the low end he'd go on frame and slide would be Essex, which is what I was intending on originally.

Interesting enough, when I mentioned Kuhnhausen, he said that he was before Kuhnhausen's time, so that wasn't anyone he learned from. He did mention a fellow by the last name Hallack. He said he was an amorer in Army? Marines? that wrote good stuff on the 1911. I'm having some trouble finding his work. You wouldn't happen to know anything about it, would you?
Old May 19, 2005, 08:25 AM   #4
CastleBravo

Quote:
He also said the low end he'd go on frame and slide would be Essex, which is what I was intending on originally.
Just an observation, not many people in their right mind would suggest an Essex frame instead of a Caspian frame. Kind of like discarding a Z71 Chevy in favor of an old Isuzu Pup.
Old May 19, 2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Shorts

My 'smith is in his right right mind and has been doing this since the early 70's. And he's built plenty of guns that have had no problems, and his customer satisfactions show that. He doesn't feel the need to go "showy" when simple and sufficient will work.

And what you didn't comprehend is, he said Essex was the low end that he would go. What I didn't tell you is that he said the typical upper end parts were fine to. So, my friend, he didn't suggest Essex instead of Caspian. He was giving me all my options for the input I was giving him. I'd say that was a smart man in his right mind.
Old May 19, 2005, 10:38 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Ken Hallock was a military armorer and wrote a little book "Hallock's .45 Auto Handbook" on how he did things in the service. There is some good information there, but a lot of the stuff done in his day has been superceded by new techniques and products. It is a good reference, but should be compared with Kuhnhausen before you start work. And since you have an experienced local man you can actually talk to, his advice probably trumps either book.

Caspian parts are decent quality, certainly better than Essex. My guy likes Les Baer but he does not make Commanche 4.25" parts in smallbore.
Old May 19, 2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Shorts

Oh Jim, thank you for that info. I was going crazy searching and typing different spelling and etc etc.

My Kuhnhausen book is on the way and I'm hoping to get ahold of the Hallock book. I'm definitely going to pick Greg's (my 'smith) brain and use him all I can. There's nothing better than having immediate feedback from someone who knows what they're doing. Like any other industry, everyone has their style, likes and dislikes. It's finding a good niche that works is key.
Old May 19, 2005, 11:37 AM   #8
guntotin_fool

Essex makes decent parts, but if you are looking at value (including resale) then Caspian is a no brainer. I have built several on essex frames and they all have been fine, Their stainless was the first affordable and available stainlesss 45 frame out there and a lot of early race guns got made on these frames. That said. Caspian has owned the parts gun market for sometime as the premier race gun chassis. Because of this, If I were to buy a used gun and one was a caspian frame and slide and the other was an essex. I would pay more for the caspian all other things being equal.
Old May 19, 2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Shorts

Ah, you hit what I had been thinking about, resale value. I don't anticipate selling this one (yeah right, everybody says that) But you are correct in that the Caspian platform would sell better than Essex.

Initially I had Caspian slated for my slide and receiver, then of course, to save a little money, dropped to an Essex set. Since this is my first project, I also didn't want to mess up a nice Caspian set. But since Essex seemed to be hanging in as far as decent, I figured if I put good quality into it, the gun should hold up alright. So, I see-sawed about that for bit. I also had to figure out how to get my husband on board, so in an effort to get him closer to agreeing, the cost was a factor. I finally showed him the details of my plans last night. Up until then, he knew nothing except that I was going to build a pistol. After seeing reasonable numbers on Excel, he still gave me a look, but gave the approving "sigh of OK" I don't think I would have gotten that with an additional $400 on the bill

On the flip side, if he would have seen the cost, he would have just said "Here sweetie, why don't we just go buy you the pistol, it's cheaper than building it right? And it would work." But where's the experience in that?