The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2002, 05:08 PM   #1
Blue Duck357

Primer problem

Yeah looks like I'm going to be a pest for awhile sorry

Just set up my SDB without a hitch and started making my first rounds. Only problem is apparently being a bit gentle or short stroking the handle on a few of my very first rounds lead to several high primers.

My question is can these primers be safely fully seated by just running them through the priming station again or will this cause mass explosion injuries etc...

Thanks for any help!
Old August 18, 2002, 05:19 PM   #2
larryw

These are loaded rounds? Its not worth the risk reseating the primer. In the unlikely event that one goes off, it will create more than a noisy bang that simply scares the snot out of you. Remember, you've got primer and powder sealed in a metallic container: ignition would be a bad thing.

Pull the bullets, empty the powder and then you can carefully reseat.
Old August 18, 2002, 05:26 PM   #3
HerbG

Well..........I almost wish you hadn't asked that question! Over the years, I've reseated some primers in loaded ammunition when necessary, but I am NOT suggesting that anybody else do so. I always use a hand priming tool so I can determine just how much pressure I'm applying. Above all, I wear heavy industrial strength safety glasses when priming, and I do not hold the priming tool anywhere near my head or torso. Probably not completely safe, but so far I've gotten away with it.
Old August 18, 2002, 05:52 PM   #4
Blue Duck357

Should have been more clear the rounds are not loaded, this was just when I was getting the feel of the machien.

Safety glasses? Yep, I actually forgot to get them but had to drive 26 miles round trip into town after I thought I was all setup and ready to go

We get used to ignoring lawyer warnings, but several folks here made it clear these were actually needed.
Old August 18, 2002, 07:14 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Whew! I thought you were talking about trying that with loaded rounds. If they're not loaded yet, sure run 'em through again, without any primers in the tube obviously. Or better yet get a hand primer tool (RCBS, Lee, etc.).