The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2002, 10:21 PM   #1
Edward429451

Case neck lubing?

Should I be lubing the inside of case necks when reloading? I haven't been but wonder what advantage it is, or the potential downfalls are if I don't. Does this just extend the life of the expander ball or what?

Proper lube, proper application method?
Old August 22, 2002, 05:37 PM   #2
cheygriz

There is a bit of debate on this. I tried it and didn't see any improvement.

I also tried wrapping 0000 stell wool around a worn our bronze cleaning brush and hand turning it in the case neck to clean out the residue. That made it easier to pull the case over the expander ball, and easier to seat the bullets, but it didn't help accuracy or consistency.

A carbide expander ball in your sizing die seems to work better than anything else that I've tried.

Cleaning or lubing case necks get to be a real pain when loading in batches on 1,000 or 2,000 rounds like you do for .223 and .308.

Now, I just wash the brass in a rotary tumbler with warm water and liquid Tide, (a vibratory tumbler with corncob or walnut works almost as well) and I just load them without any more prep.

If you do lube case necks, and I don't recommend it, use only powdered mica or powdered graphite. Don't use grease, oil or wax.

Then, on the other hand, there are those who will disagree strongly with what I have just written.