The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 20, 2012, 09:46 PM   #1
RamItOne

Who here drinks?

no not the glock kool aid

I've been seeing threads and posts about 100% carry, never leaves the property without being armed etc etc. I'm assuming its the same in all or most states that you can't carry in a bar, even if not drinking and can't carry if having a drink at a restaurant etc.

Just wondering how CC affects peoples social life, its common just to go out and have a beer with a friend or what about going out on a date.
Not looking for posts about not caring about the law and carrying anyways.

Last edited by RamItOne; October 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Split paragraph
Old October 20, 2012, 09:51 PM   #2
TheGoldenState

Quote:
can't carry if having a drink at a restaurant etc.
I'm curious, as it relates to CA, you cannot carry into a restaurant if you have the intent to drink? Even below the legal limit to drive? What if you did not have intent to drink when entering, therefore had your gun, but decided to drink once you were inside-say due to a unbelievable happy hour deal. Would you then have to go put your gun in the car to have the drink?

I don't CC, but i'll be following along to see how this thread turns out.

Quote:
Not looking for posts about not caring about the law and carrying anyways.
I think, for the purposes of getting the most accurate info. out of the thread, than, that we should clarify the law(s).

All in all, it's never a good idea to mix guns & alcohol. Ever.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Webleymkv

Indiana has no law saying that you cannot carry into an establishment serving alcohol or even that you cannot enjoy an adult beverage while carrying. As to how one behaves in the absence of such a law, well that's somewhat controversial. There are many who opine that one must completely abstain when carrying and to do otherwise is extremely irresponsible to the point of bordering on grossly negligent.

I, personally, only drink outside my home very rarely regardless of whether or not I'm carrying and then I limit myself to only a drink or two. I do not refrain from carrying because I think I might have a drink somewhere nor do I become a teetotaler simply because I happen to be carrying. The way I see it, I am a responsible adult who does not drink to the point of impairment and, as such, when and where I choose to enjoy an adult beverage is no one's business but my own.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenState:
Excellent advice.

Even if one is not legally impaired, there are subtle physiological effects that occur well before that point.

For that, I prefer to err on the side of caution and keep the two separate.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:31 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

TX allows carry in restaurants that serve alcohol as long as they don't derive 51% or more of their income from the sale of alcohol to be consumed on the premises. Bars are out.

TX law allows drinking while carrying, however carrying while intoxicated is a criminal offense. To complicate things, the definition of intoxicated is not the same one used for DWI and the law does not define a minimum legal blood alcohol level for carrying with a CHL.

I guess you and your lawyer get to figure out how to prove you're not intoxicated when there's no clear definition of precisely what constitutes intoxicated. Not a problem I'm interested in trying to solve.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Onward Allusion

Nope. The two don't mix. I carry during most of my waking hours.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:57 PM   #7
sigcurious

Like a fish! if water counts

I don't drink alcohol because even a beer or glass of wine makes me sleepy.
Old October 20, 2012, 10:59 PM   #8
kinggabby

Oklahoma says you may carry into an establishment only if the sale of alcohol or low point beer at those establishments “does not
constitute the primary purpose of the business.”.

That said, no one, SDA (CCW) holder or otherwise,may carry or use any firearms while under the influence of alcohol or other substances. It does not give an alcohol level. So they can get you if you have had one sip or twenty beers.
I carry where ever legal . If I am going to a forbidden place then I leave my gun in the car unless I am getting out of my car at my daughters school (then I have to make sure I leave my gun at home or park off school property . Now if I plan on going for a drink I leave my firearm at home. I dare not try and push my luck with the law.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:15 PM   #9
Gunnut17

I would never drink and carry, it is like drinking and driving, you have a lethal weapon under your control, and you are impairing your sense of judgement, endangering those around you.
Old October 20, 2012, 11:15 PM   #10
BarryLee

In Georgia you can carry into restaurants that serve alcohol and I believe even have a drink. I am not sure exactly what the law says about the amount of alcohol you can have. Bars are out unless the owner gives you specific permission to carry and then it’s ok, but again not sure how much you can drink before it’s an issue.

I made the decision several years ago to simply give up alcohol for a variety of reasons and this is just one of those reasons. Again, this was a personal decision and I have no issue with responsible alcohol use.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old October 20, 2012, 11:40 PM   #11
MLeake

Pretty sure in Georgia you can't drink while carrying.

You can have dinner in a place that doesn't derive primary income from alcohol (EG a restaurant that has a liquor license is ok.)

You can only carry in a bar with the owner's permission, IIRC.

IIRC, you can carry in a bar in Virginia, but unless things have changed you have to open carry while in the bar.

Assuming all states are the same is typically not a good starting point.
Old October 21, 2012, 12:47 AM   #12
p loader

Quote:
Please! I've logged countless hours of Call of Duty while enjoying way too much booze.

That said I rarely drink outside the home for the simple reason I need to be very aware of what's going on, and I like to carry. If I do pour some, it's usually at home.
Old October 21, 2012, 01:39 AM   #13
Bud Helms

As I recall, the GA code discusses intoxication while carrying in public, not simply imbibing. 'Have to re-research that one. Ga has one definition for intoxication due to alcohol intake and it's the same for possession of a weapon as it is for operating a motor vehicle.

That said, I join the advice against drinking while carrying. Rolling the dice on testing under 0.08 while carrying and drinking is like trying to remember the exact moment you fell asleep last night. The change in mental state due to acohol intake is so insidious for most of us that it will be well established before it becomes apparent.
Old October 21, 2012, 01:55 AM   #14
TAKtical

I personally will not have even one sip of anything if im carrying, even at home.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 21, 2012, 01:58 AM   #15
MLeake

But, I think .08 is fluid for driving.

IE, a person who is pulled over for a separate violation may be found DUI at lower than .08, since there is a compounding factor.

I know that is how it worked in Florida.

.05 if pulled over for an infraction; .02 if under age.

Not sure if similar rules would apply to carry.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:07 AM   #16
p loader

So let's go down the rabbit trail. Many people believe absolutely that alcohol and guns don't mix. You wouldn't drink 1, 2, 3 beers and carry a gun. Lots of factors weigh in on obtaining a BAC for each person but let's assume for the average 200lb male you drink 3 beers to achieve a BAC of .005%
Would you carry a gun?

Of course not....right?

Considering that, what about this study that shows after 17 hours without sleep your performance is equal to or worse than someone with a BAC of .005%

Quote:
RESULTS—After 17-19 hours without sleep, corresponding to 2230 and 0100, performance on some tests was equivalent or worse than that at a BAC of 0.05%. Response speeds were up to 50% slower for some tests and accuracy measures were significantly poorer than at this level of alcohol. After longer periods without sleep, performance reached levels equivalent to the maximum alcohol dose given to subjects (BAC of 0.1%).
Granted it is not illegal to carry a gun while tired, but many have stated that they wouldn't carry after having a drink because it is the right thing to do. So if lack of sleep creates the same physical state that a few drinks of alcohol does, is it safe to say that: it is the right thing to do...to not carry when tired?

It's late, I'm bored, so there you have it.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:16 AM   #17
Bud Helms

MLeake, it would not surprise me to find you are correct.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:58 AM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Granted it is not illegal to carry a gun while tired, but many have stated that they wouldn't carry after having a drink because it is the right thing to do. So if lack of sleep creates the same physical state that a few drinks of alcohol does, is it safe to say that: it is the right thing to do...to not carry when tired?
There are any number of issues that could impair a person's performance. Fatigue, inattention, medication, illness, alcohol, illegal drugs, come to mind.

It's everyone's responsibility to be sure that they aren't endangering others by doing things that are unwise. While one is impaired, things that are unwise to do would include driving, operating heavy machinery, carrying a firearm, to name a few. That means that when one is/will be driving, operating heavy machinery or carrying a firearm, one should avoid things that cause impairment to the extent that it is possible to do so.

One can avoid taking alcohol or illegal drugs, one can not always avoid illness, taking certain medications, or fatigue and in such situations one must decide how impaired is too impaired. It's something each of us will have to decide for ourselves--but we shouldn't decide hastily--we will be responsible for the consequences of our decisions.
Old October 21, 2012, 02:59 AM   #19
iraiam

If I did drink I would not carry after, just like I would not drive after, impared judgement is just that. In Colorado "It is unlawful to possess a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances."

I don't drink at all anymore, I quit in 2005, and never looked back. I haven't been specifically in a bar while carrying, but I have been in a few resturaunts with bars, or bar/grill type places.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 21, 2012, 03:31 AM   #20
LockedBreech

This might strike some as paranoid, but on nights I go out drinking I unchamber all my guns (carry gun, nightstand gun particularly) and store the ammo in a different part of the house from the unloaded guns. I take none with me, this is for when/if I make it home

I've never had a close call or anything, but I make the decision to minimize my risks. If alcohol can make me call me ex girlfriends, it can make worse things happen (as if that were possible).
Old October 21, 2012, 05:27 AM   #21
Master Blaster 2

In Iowa the carry permit allows one to drink when carrying but not over .08% BAL. (Same as DL.) One can carry and have a drink or two at a bar. This has beenthe law almost 2 years now and none of the licence holders state wide have over drank and the streets have not turned into the wild west.
When I am at home and carry I will drink alcohol. I have even got drunk at home with guns in the same room.
Old October 21, 2012, 06:02 AM   #22
Salmoneye

Though I agree it is not 'prudent' to drink and handle firearms (or ride a horse, or mow your lawn, or watch your kids, or...) there is no law referencing guns and alcohol together here in Vermont...

And there shouldn't be...
Old October 21, 2012, 01:41 PM   #23
FlySubCompact

Nowadays, I might down a beer or two on a hot July day after the yard is groomed.

That was not always true in the past though.

My old man's words from decades ago: "Don't drink and operate a vehicle, or a gun or hang around folks that do."

He also said: "You can love a pretty woman just as much as you can an ugly one."

You can see why I always listen to Pop.
Old October 21, 2012, 04:03 PM   #24
TailGator

I am sure that there will be folks who disagree, perhaps even vehemently, but I see a mountain of difference between having a beer or a glass of wine with dinner and "going out drinking." No one should drive, handle firearms, or sign a contract when their judgement is impaired even minimally, but that doesn't happen with most people after the leisurely consumption of a single drink, especially when consumed with food.

For the people who think drinking heavily at home is the answer, do you remove your guns from the premises first? Or do you have someone change the combination on your safe and not tell you the new combination until you are sober? Being hammered at home with guns in the house seems less safe in many ways than drinking responsibly with a pistol IWB.

If you start from a place of careful handling and responsible carry of your handguns, it should take more than one drink for most people to do something irresponsible and dangerous. A single drink just doesn't impair the judgement of most people to that degree.
Old October 21, 2012, 04:47 PM   #25
jhenry

I agree 100%